Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Getting back into it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Getting back into it Reply with quote

Hey guys, used to wake about 12 yrs ago, So i went and bought me a board to get back into it and have a little fun. Since then, ive put on a good 35kg so its not as easy as i remember and a lot more tiring haha

Any1 used the Liquid Force Groove 2010 Collin Harrington board? what's your opinion on it? Also can any recommend a decent pair of boots that will match? dont like the ones i got. recon boots o

Hoping to learn from the vet posters and experienced members. Thanks
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest, approx how much do you weight? it's important to find a board that's big enough for you, since how the board rides in water is very dependent on weight/surface area ratio

people round my way seem to really like the 2011/2012 ronix bindings. i haven't used them myself however.
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 88kg (195lbs), and am about 178cm tall (5'10").

The board is the 138cm length. which i was told should be ok for my weight?
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a problem floating as such its just alot harder work then it used to be lol. Not as nimble as i used to be haha
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

138 is on the smaller side for you, I think 142-ish would work better for you. If you have a chance just try and see/feel what works better for you.
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR wrote:
138 is on the smaller side for you, I think 142-ish would work better for you. If you have a chance just try and see/feel what works better for you.

Can you tell me why it would be better? What advantages would i have if i had the longer board? I can always give this board to my wife and get me a larger board lol
Im currently dieting down and plan to lose another 5kg (10-11Lbs) Would the board then be ok?
thanks for the advice
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smaller deck rides lower in the water if you weigh more then it's rated for. I weigh a little more then you do (225lbs) and rode a 141 for years, I tried my brothers 136 and that thing gave me a workout. It was especially noticeable when getting out of the water, beat me up pretty good. It's all about the surface area of the board, some boards can handle more weight if they are wider. If it's at all possible demo/borrow a 141+ and see how it rides for you.

Another thing to consider is that wakeboarding takes different muscles then you are used to using. It might just be a matter of getting those muscles used to riding again. Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums.

wtwdevil
Criminal
Criminal

City: Pensacola/Deland

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all preference I'm 6ft 180 and I ride a 137, I think it will be fine thought.
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH wrote:
A smaller deck rides lower in the water if you weigh more then it's rated for. I weigh a little more then you do (225lbs) and rode a 141 for years, I tried my brothers 136 and that thing gave me a workout. It was especially noticeable when getting out of the water, beat me up pretty good. It's all about the surface area of the board, some boards can handle more weight if they are wider. If it's at all possible demo/borrow a 141+ and see how it rides for you.

Another thing to consider is that wakeboarding takes different muscles then you are used to using. It might just be a matter of getting those muscles used to riding again. Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums.

Yeah it was my first day back since over 10yrs ago so im sure the pain and effort i needed was for that reason.
that said though, i will see if i can hire a 141 or 142 and see if i notice anything. thanks for the advices
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtwdevil wrote:
Its all preference I'm 6ft 180 and I ride a 137, I think it will be fine thought.

im a good 15-20LBS heavier then you though, do u think this will be an issue?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 195 and 5'-10" and I ride a 142...I've ridden a 138 and experienced a bit of an issue. I would heed the advice already given, especially from jeffrey and go with a 142-144 board.
Thrasha

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okie thanks for the advice. next time i go to a cable park ill hire a 142.

i went yesterday for an hr and landed my first jump/ramp lol. hooked now so i gota keep going haha
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? since you're measuring in kg's..
Thrasha

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da Liks wrote:
Where are you from? since you're measuring in kg's..

Aus lol

Update. i rode a 142 and didnt really feel much difference. I also upgraded my boots and got the Liquid Force 2012 Vantage CT bindings. Couldnt be happier! its a totally different ride! Much more responsive and landings are softer. Id go as far to say that they have helped my skills progress quicker Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: