Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wetsuit or Dry Suit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaddywaddy

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Wetsuit or Dry Suit Reply with quote

Hi There,

I'm looking at starting wakeboarding in nottingham and I'm not too sure if i would need to buy a wetsuit, or drysuit?

I have been looking at wetsuits here because i have purchased from them before and they seem to have a good range of branded wetsuits.http://www.freakfish.co.uk/wetsuits.html Not sure which brand to go for, the O'Neill or Rip Curl? Some people say both are rubbish and XCel are good, but i have never heard of Xcel?
Can anyone recommend a brand of wetsuit, or should i go for the dry suit? I will be waring all year round. It’s just that drysuits are real expensive.

It’s a tossup between this O'Neill wetsuit so far

http://www.freakfish.co.uk/oneill-psycho-rg8-mens-winter-wetsuit-fall-2011.html

And this dry suit http://www.freakfish.co.uk/oneill-boost-drysuit.html
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the air/water temperatures like where you'll be riding?

As for general stuff, Dry-Suits can get pretty expensive but can be worth it although I don't have experience with them first-hand.

As far as wetsuits go, you really can't go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned. I've always had RipCurl suits for surfing and they're nice and stretchy and keep you pretty toasty to boot. XCel I believe was just bought by Billabong somewhat recently but they make a great product from what I hear.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. I have a 3/2 wetsuit for days when the air/water temps are 80/60. I use a drysuit when the temps are 60/50. I use the 110 degree rule here: Air+Water needs to be at least 110 for me to go out.

You can get a 4-5mm thick wetsuit for those drysuit temps if you want, but you will be burning up in it if you wear it at 80/60. I like the wetsuit a little better than dry for flexibility and such.

cadunkle
Criminal
Criminal

City: NJ

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride in a Oneil Psycho 4/3 suit and really like it. It's my first wetsuit so I have no comparison, so it's flexible enough to not feel restrictive. Lowest I've used it is about 55* water and 60* air and it was plenty warm. Only had it a year, before that I would be trunking it down to 50* water and 50*-60* air. I've on occasion got a little water in the suit when saving a rough landing or on a hard spill, but it's been a small amount and I can't complain. I really hate the cold but it has kept me very comfortable in temps where I used to crawl back in the boat blue and shivering.

Can't comment on drysuits as I've never had one, but if you opt for the wetsuit I don't think you'll be disappointed with the quality of Oneil. Give some air and water temps you'll be riding in and people with more experience than me can probably give better advise.
maxr

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the answer by trying on a drysuit. I don't know anything about wakeboarding, but I sail dinghies, and a drysuit can be the most uncomfortable thing on earth if you don't get on with your neck being constricted.

Max
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temps here dip into the mid/upper 40's during the coldest part of the year. I wear an Oneill 3/2 full suit in the winter, definitely don't need a drysuit here.

Rode yesterday in a 2/2 shorty, air temps 75, water temp 62. It was beautiful out there.

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive only been riding for about 3 summers now (the rest of my time is taking by school:() but i was wanting to look into getting a wet suit just for riding when it got cold (ibknow i sound clueless sorry). But I dont know much about them...my dad is teaching me because he used to ride in his youth but hasnt gotta clue about riding when it gets cold...too scared. Help? Please?
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wakechick13, I know you posted this a couple of weeks ago but here goes anyway.

To expand on my previous post...

Depending on your location and your tolerance, you can extend your riding season or even ride year round if you have the right gear. My general rule of thumb is if the combined water and air temp are 150 or higher, I just wear shorts and a vest.

I usually wear a 2mm neoprene long sleeve shirt in the fall when air and water temps are in the 60's and 70's here. I also have a 2mm spring suit (long sleeves, short legs) that I wear in the late fall and early winter (50's and 60's).

During the coldest months here (Dec, Jan, Feb) I wear a 3/2 fullsuit. The coldest water temps here usually hit mid to upper 40s so a drysuit isn't really necessary though I might wear one if I had one on the very coldest days. Fortunately living in the South our winters are very mild.

Hope this helps.

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does help! I live in Texas so the weather doesnt get to cold here either. I want to be able to ride year round. I have a pretty high tolerance as long as I'm being active...I will most definately take this into consideration! Thanks:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: