Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

starting boat repair and restoration business tips wanted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: starting boat repair and restoration business tips wanted. Reply with quote

i have been a mechanic for most of my life. and I'm getting tired of traveling all across the country hauling cars. i have decided to get a boat repair shop open here in the Boise Idaho area. we definitely need one. most shops have a 2-3 week wait to even get your boat looked at. i am looking for motivation, tips, pointers, advice, whatever you call it as this is the first time i have been in business for my self. here is a link to my add on craigslist (for now) and a link to my website. let me know what you all think.

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1878889358.html

www.modernmarine.webs.com
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should spend the extra 10 bucks for a domain for your website.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think so to.... i will let you argue with the wife on that one.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? For 10 bucks? Presenting a professional image reflects professional service. When I go to auto mechanic sites (cars) and see a super shitty page, I assume one of two things. a) they are too busy to bother or b) they don't care. Laughing So if you aren't loaded down with customers, I'd invest in having a professional appearance to match your service.

Also, in your About Us section don't post the generic "we offer outstanding serice, we're great, we love you..." Write about yourself and your qualifications, especially if you are servicing a smaller town/region. If you say "I'm Jeff, I've been fixing boats for 20 years, I specialize in xyz motors, oil changes, winterization" or whatever it is you do... write all that. People like to see there are real people behind the service, someone they can trust and usually from there you will get a lot of referrals as long as you do a good job. That's my advice anyway.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, i appreciate the input. i have let my wife do everything on the website thus far. i will change some of it when i get back in town. we just through it together for the most part a few weeks ago. do you have a sugestion on where to purchase the domain from? i have no clue when it comes to that. sometimes im amaized i can post on here Laughing
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For marketing, I'd get fliers up at the boat ramps around the city. Where do most people have problems with their boat? At the ramp. Advertise low overhead and low cost, high experience labor.

x2 on getting your own domain

ctwo

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The craigslist ad looks good. For website domains you can just google one.... not sure if godaddy.com would have what you're looking for or not but definitely worth a look.

Boat shrink wrapping is definitely something to look into. I priced out the equipment and enough supplies to do 10 boats in the 18-20 foot range and it was around $2800 bucks. I believe that was from Dr. Shrink but I never went through with it as I have enough projects and jobs at the moment.... as least that's what the wife says.

One other thing, make sure you have the proper business liscenses and insurance in place. Some people like to deal with insured people only. I'm sure you do but just noting. Also does Idaho have a state tax? If so make sure you're onside as far as collecting or not having to collect.

Keep your accounting books up to date, it helps to know if you're actually making money or just staying afloat. I'm a bean counter so I have seen many businesses although I'm in Canada so not sure on all the US regulations.
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old topic but it was brought back up. I don't "advertise" on craigslist. Typically the people looking on craigslist for service are just price shopping and are the pickiest pitasses I run into. There are a ton of "competitors" in my market that "advertise" on craigslist, they can have those "leads". I don't need to be wasting my time and fuel giving free proposals for idiots that end up going with the cheapest dipshit hack. My clientel know what they want and are willing to pay professional pricing for professional service.

Btw, I did not look at the link but I generally stay away from craigslist for most things. You get what you pay for and CL costs nothing and that's typically what you get in return.

John612

City: LAKE OSWEGO

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Boat repair Reply with quote

Hi, I have an aluminum boat which I used for fishing in the mid summer. Now last month my younger brother took the boat off in the waters and break the pedals of it so, it can’t move right or left but only straight. Can anyone let me know where I can find a good technician?

Boat repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: