Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Old Guys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmlloyd
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Old Guys Reply with quote

I am searching for any older wakeboarders on this forum and what types of tricks they are taking on. I am almost 40, skiied as a kid but have only been wakeboarding 1 season. Thus far I am only doing some single wake jumps and working on some surface tricks. I enjoy wakeboarding alot and would like to continue to progress, but i am a realist and understand that i am not as young as i used to be. My big thrills now come from pulling my 3 kids as they become better and better riders. Any tips or suggestions on what types of things i should start working on are appreciated.

J
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I wouldnt compare yourself to other riders because there is a huge difference including everything that led up to you getting into the sport. The tricks that you will be able to learn really depends on how your body is physically what kind of background you have (sports board sports etc) and if your going to get lessons or not.

I would suggest learning a proper foundation board control and getting the basics dialed in. That way you can teach your kids the right way with out developing bad habits. You can push yourself to try new stuff or leave the hard stuff for the kids Very Happy

VG6

PostPosted: May 22, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface tricks are great and are also under rated when it comes to wakeboarding. These are the fundamentals that are required to progress further when trying to land big tricks later on. Riding switch, ollie, edging, are all equally important to jumping in my opinion. Im 37 and this is my third season so needless to say I got a late start. I waterskied for years but I'm slowly learning this has little in common with wakeboarding. As far as what you can do as an "older guy" really depends on your physical condition as shaggy said. I know face plants and some of the other really bad ways to fall hurt alot more and alot longer now then they used to. Just go for it. You may have to push your limits before you really know when to take it down a notch. I ride with some kids and they progress twice as fast and recover twice as fast but just being out there and riding with family and friends is what it's all about.
jmlloyd
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone!!!
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: May 24, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second what VG6 said. I would highly recommend getting the DVD series called "The Book". Watch the first couple DVD's and focus on those skills for now for you and to teach the kids. That will build a solid foundation.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: May 25, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest thing at your level is to not become a heel side hero.
for every heel side jump you do. come back in and make a good effort on a toe side jump as well. try to keep the jump ratio 1:1 HS vs TS.
also for some free help, and in order of progression. check out www.waketrix.com and click "tricks"
watch a few vids, and write a few tips down and take them with you to the lake next time.

biggest thing is water time.

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VG6 wrote:
Riding switch, ollie, edging, are all equally important to jumping in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. Unless you learn the basics, you'll never really be able to progress properly. There are lots of ways to challenge yourself wakeboarding other than huge air inverts and spins. Unless you can edge hard, ride switch, ollie on command, and do surface spins you'll never really get better. Nothing more boring than heelside W2Ws over and over and over again. Wink

BTW, I'm 45. I started wakeboarding 4 years ago and it changed my life in more ways than I can describe. Cool Cool Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, Hahahaha no sh1t, it set my mind free. Whenever I get stressed I just close my eyes for a sec and think of that cut into the wake. It's like poof, I come back to the situation at hand and I'm just calm. I must admit though, lately I think about snowboarding more. I love the freedom of the ride, I rode back country powder for the first time this season and I'm hooked. Nothing like ripping to the top on a snowmobile then strapping in, looking over a cliff, saying f*** it and jumping off.

That being said, I still love the wakeboarding lifestyle a lot more. I started 4 years ago at the age of 36. At 35 I bought a boat to ski, I skied growing up too. I got kinda frustrated with skiing that first summer because I got too fat and didn't have the hand strength to pull up slalom. The next summer I found a antique wakeboard ('95 connely blade runner, sandal bindings and all) pulled out on my 4th try and never looked back.

As far as progression goes, I'm pretty realistic about it, I'm old for these types of things. Not that I feel old, whenever I watch a vid of someone throwing down a sick trick, I can see it in my mind and feel it in my soul. However, I also know what it took to get to that level. If I were to blow a knee, or break an ankle, and not be able to work, I'd be screwed.

I know I take that risk every time I strap up so I focus on good form and the basics. I nailed down most of my 1's last year, with the exception of switch TS, I just can't seem to get the pop and case the wake on my landing. I can do all the surface tricks, and slide anything. In these types of sports you are going to pay for progression, the older you are the higher the price. I'd rather pay with my time then pain lol, I plan on riding till I die. The moral of the story: Take it easy, have fun, and shred on Very Happy

OH2FL

City: Boynton Beach

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... all you KIDS Rolling Eyes talking like you're old guys!

I will turn 50 this year and have the Mr. Green obsession - to learn. PEACE & Be Safe
ray4man

City: Joplin

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was about to be the oldest person on this forum. Then OH2FL saved the day. Thanks, I feel young again. This is my third season and I'm obsessed. I also recommend "the Book". Good board drills.
DJBusyB

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be 45 in 2 months and just started riding 3 years ago. I hope to still be riding in 10 years!

Brian

OperationROL
Criminal
Criminal

City: Rockford

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my 37 years doesn't seem old anymore, but honestly, I was just thinking about this the other day. After 1 season (started at the end of July '09) I can do W2W jumps, surface 180s, ollies, and ollie 180s. I was wondering how far I can really take this thing, realistically. I told my 30 yr old buddy that I was just going to stop with 360s and he told me that some flips are easier that the 360s. Now I am thinking about trying flips, which is bad, because when I fall, I fall hard!
ray4man

City: Joplin

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update my reply... I became a grandpa three weeks ago and this weekend, I made MY FIRST W2W !!! It felt sooo good.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray4man wrote:
Just to update my reply... I became a grandpa three weeks ago and this weekend, I made MY FIRST W2W !!! It felt sooo good.

That's awesome man, congrats to you and yours. I'm gonna be a grandpa in a couple months.

dpd2483

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: i am 50 Reply with quote

50 i doing it
skyguy

City: Fairfield Bay

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap I'm OLD! Used to be a bouy chaser back in the 60's & 70's then got away from the water all together. Last fall we purchased a MB Sports B52V and love it, been trying to dial in the wake surfing this summer and just purchased my first wakeboard today. Decided to work on the surfing first since receiving a dead persons ACL last winter and it seemed much lower impact. Looking forward to making my first wakeboarding attempt tommorow. Skydiving took me away from the water, and 4000 jumps later it's time to get back to a family activity we all can enjoy. I'll still jump, but cutting it down to 100-150 per year...oh yeah, I'm 57.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this thread back up on top again...none of us are getting any younger. Mr. Green

Oldest guy at OWC this day? Probably.

Oldest guy at the Projects? I was on this day for sure.

Oldest guy riding Lake Jessamine this day? Yep. (I believe that's Harley Clifford's MC to the right of me)

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
skyguy

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see, thanks for the pics!
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if all the sky diving did the ACL in... talk about impact!
skyguy

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chawk610 wrote:
I wonder if all the sky diving did the ACL in... talk about impact!

LOL...yes in fact it did, not from wear and tear, but mis-calculating a landing at 50 mph a foot above the ground with my knee bending the wrong direction. It wasn't just torn but gone, destroyed. Since then I've went to a larger chute with tip toe landings, a little boring but at 57 I needed to slow it up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: