Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Is there a big difference between old boards and new boards?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewWakeboarder92

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Is there a big difference between old boards and new boards? Reply with quote

I found a 2000 Liquid Force Trip 33 on Craigslist for $80, so I jumped on it. This will be my first board. Is there a big difference between an old board like this one and a new 2011 one? Besides the fact that the bindings suck, I've already noticed that. Dunno how I'm gonna get my feet into these things. But will it be more difficult to ride or learn to do tricks on, less smooth, etc.?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip boards are different from 2000. I am not sure when they changed the design of the trip but they did change it at some point. What is inside the boards also changes from time to time. $80 bucks with bindings is not a bad deal. ride it...see if you like wakeboarding and then maybe upgrade down the road once you have been out riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
cubbies017
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bloomfield Hills

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that is a pretty good price. Try it out and once you start to get better I would definitely upgrade into a newer model board.
ScareKrow

City: North Wales

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
The trip boards are different from 2000. I am not sure when they changed the design of the trip but they did change it at some point. What is inside the boards also changes from time to time. $80 bucks with bindings is not a bad deal. ride it...see if you like wakeboarding and then maybe upgrade down the road once you have been out riding.

Are older boards putting people at a disadvantage over newer boards in terms of angles or shape of the board? Obviously 10 years ago the people who make them did their own research and made a shape which works, and the shape today is still very similar, and is it only perhaps the advanced riders who can 'feel' the difference in a board?

or perhaps its the content of the board maybe a larger percentage of fiberglass or other material which absorb the shock of landing better?

Currently we have a O'brien Ambush 136 which I think is a bit small for me (according to a website) as I'm 6'3 and 180lb, but I'm wondering if that will really hinder me or if I could learn fine on it.

Dont want to ninja your topic NewWakeboarde92, but I think its a similar question Very Happy
lukus01

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what others said. Use the one you bought to figure out if you even like wakeboarding. After you ride for a while you'll figure out what you like or don't like about the board. Then you can upgrade to a board that fits your riding style better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: