Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Help me choose components for my system...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Help me choose components for my system... Reply with quote

Update: This is where I'm at now after some research. Budget is up to 1K now.

Sony CDX-GT700HD and RMX11M remote - $150 – Head unit not waterproof but I have a water tight cover already. Is this a mistake not going with a “marine” unit?
Amp - kicker zxm700.5 with Kicker ZXRC bass control - $350
Speakers - 4 Polk db651s’s in boat - $120
4ga amp wiring/speaker wire - $50
Tower Speakers - Kicker KS65’s – in can’s already from diywake.com
Subwoofer - Polk Audio MM1040 - $100, Sealed or vented box for this sub, I gave up on free-air... Upgrade to 12” worth it?
Sealed MDF or fiberglass box - $100
Already have 2nd battery and 2 bank charger, still need to get a VSR, Isolator, ACR, or Switch. Which one?

09' Tahoe Q5i with a diywake pro tower. Current headunit and speakers are junk. I want to start from scratch but I'm on a $800 budget for the entire system.

I'm thinking:
- Headunit
- Two 6.5" tower speakers in cans (I already have the diywake cans empty)
- Four 6.5" speakers (bow and stern)
- 4 channel amp with 2 channels bridged for sub or just DVC
- 12" free air sub in walkway

To meet the $800 budget I think I need to power the 4 in boat speakers by the headunit. Any out there good enough. I'm not looking to have the best system, just a good/realiable one.

Also, should I run off the starting battery or get another? I'm sure I will be doing some listening with the motor off.

Thanks in advance guys... I'm pumped, it has been about 10 years since building all the systems in my cars as a teenager.

Mike

Last edited by mschmidt9461 on Sep 09, 2011 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate to run the boat speakers off the HU, perhaps a 5ch amp and 3 pre-outs in the head unit. This should not cost much more? Double up the boat speakers on the front, towers on the rear, and 5th channel for sub? Seem reasonable? I can then fade it to quiet down the boat if wanted...

What impedence speakers to buy if this is the case? $800 will go fast. Really want HLCD's for tower too.
jmlloyd
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have db651's in boat and they are run off the head unit and sound good. I put a 2 channel amp to run the tower speakers independently. I will add to this as I go, but with the budget you are trying to stay in, this may work for you to start out.

Good Luck!!
mattys_ext

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800$ wont even get you in the door for HLCDs lol....id say stay with polk for that budget.
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how about this... $800. If I stretch the budget to say 1K, where would you put it?

HU - Kenwood KMR440U and Kca-Rc60Mr remote - $200
Amp - Kicker mx700.5 - $350 ebay
Speakers - 4 polk db’s in boat – $120
Wiring - $30 if I'm lucky
2 speakers for tower free - Kicker KS65’s – From buddy that got them with his tower from diywake.com
Sub - $100 left, did not research these yet.

I also would prefer to put the sub in a box but want it to be mounted in the walkthrough on the fiberglass. Any ideas on how to only see the sub on the outside but have a box behind the glass...

Mike
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the hole for the sub and the screws that attach the sub through the fiberglass are long enough to attach to a box behind the glass? Might need a bracket to support the box? Talking out loud here guys.
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the 2nd battery which I currently use for a trolling motor (I know), I have that and the starting battery hooked up to an onboard charger. I would need some more wiring and an isolator, correct? Should be good to go then... thoughts?
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at my boat I should be able to build a fairly square ~1cu ft (or whatever is needed) box and bracket it with the sub coming through the walkway. The fibergalss is only about a 1/4" thick there and is a little uneven. A little liquid nails to even it out and I should be good. A sheet of MDF and I'm good. What marine sub for a small enclosure and the MX700.5? I'm thinking a 10"... JL, Kicker?
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what else am I missing or what is under/overkill, opinions, suggestions, etc?

I have not dug deep into resistance ratings for these speakers and how they will match up with the amp/wiring... it has been awhile since the car stereo days.

Let me know... ready to get this stuff on order.
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
mattys_ext

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest im at the same point you are with your setup. I ordered my head unit and remote.

I got the clarion CDMV1 unit.

I'm gonna do the wetsounds setup but I gotta wait and save some coin first. Its gonna be a heavy bullet to bite. Worth it in the end.

FOr the battery i was thinking an isolator. have you looked in the differences and which one suits it the best?
mschmidt9461

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice hu and setup your going to have there... I'm thinking ACR+Switch vs. isolator. I have the ks65's but did not pull the trigger on the db651's and zxm700.5. Decisions, decisions.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: