Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New member looking for board guidance for family

View previous topic :: View next topic  
huzzah

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: New member looking for board guidance for family Reply with quote

I'm a new member here, long time boater (my whole life!), skier, snowboarder, and lover of water, and am looking for some guidance on wakeboard selection.

I've long been wanting to get into wakboarding, but for whatever reason have been procastinating. I've been looking for a good board that can be used by my family (and extended family, including brother, sister, their spouses, etc).

Any recommendations? Is it possible to get an "all purpose" board, or am I looking at a board for the guys and one for the girls?

Some detail on size of those that'll be using the board:

I'm 6'4" and weigh 215 lbs. My wife is 5'11" and weighs 130. We're both just looking for a board to carve behind the boat on, and I'd like to be able to get some air, but neither of us will be going for aggresive tricks or anything. My brother is about 5 inches smaller than me but weights about 20 pounds more.

A tag on question is about young kids. My oldest daughter is interested in trying out wakboarding this year. She's 6 years old...any recommendations for a solid board for her to learn on that won't cost a lot?

Apolgoies for the 20 questions. We have our houseboat vacation coming up in a couple of months where we ski everyday for a couple of weeks; I'd desperate to get this figured out asap Very Happy
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to need 2 completely different set up's to fit that range of people. Get some thing in the 132-134 range for the lighter riders, and a 141+ for the heavier riders. Stick to open toe bindings as they cover a wide range of foot sizes. For kids, again you will need a completely different set up, look at Hyprtlites kid's series. Stick to the major name brands like Hyperlite, Liquid force, CWB, Slingshot, Company, Ronix. (in no particular order)

Keep in mind that you will also want a non-stretch wakeboard line and handle Wink

craZywakeboardererer
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^this. if you try to get one board for everybody, it is going to end up being all wrong for everybody. You're better off taking JeffreyCH's suggestions, and getting the sizes according to his suggestions. Don't buy the expensive, top of the line boards. You're just going to end up over-paying for a board that is too aggressive. Check out websites like buywake.com, the-house.com, and even overtons. Most of these sites have some good deals on packages (board and boots). Read around for some reviews, stick to beginner/cheaper boards for now. This way, you can afford boards for everyone, and see who sticks with it. For those that do, and upgrade will be waiting in the future. Like JeffreyCH also said, stick with the major brand names, we know that all of their products are reliable. Most of these companies will make kids boards as well.

Have fun on your trip! I'm gonna be wakeboarding every day this summer too! Mr. Green

...brand loyalty haha
huzzah

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome you two, thank you!
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craZywakeboardererer, Hit on some things I forgot to mention. Get boards that are in the intermediate category. I bought a beginner board to start out with, took about 2 months to hate it. I went with a Hyperlite Premier 141, and rode that shape for 3 seasons, and now moved up to a pro model. Another site for close outs is evo.com you can also look in the classifieds on this site or ebay for used stuff. After you look around, post up some of the packages that you find and we can give feedback on specific models. Welcome to the forums and have a fun summer.

**Oh and if you haven't completely broke the bank buying boards, I would also suggest a dvd series called "The Book" It will teach you everything from gear terms, to getting out of the water, to driving for wakeboarding

cubbies017
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bloomfield Hills

PostPosted: May 18, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to need two boards, one for guys, and one for girls. I would get an open toe binding that way if the foot is just a touch big its open to give more room.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 18, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has you pointed in the right direction. However, I respectfully disagree on getting the non-stretch wakeboard line. If you've got a bunch of people riding and need to get more than one board, it is the very last thing I'd spend any money on. You really don't need it until you are talking about trying to do wake-to-wake jumps and getting real pop off of the wake.

If you are just looking to carve around and ease into wakeboarding, a non-stretch line will be a waste of $100+ this season.

JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 18, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575, I'm not saying he needs to drop 100+ on a proline or anything. The stretch ski lines made it very hard to get up on a wakeboard, the rubber band effect kept pulling me over the front edge. It could have been many factors at the time, but once I replaced my ski line with a WB line it made my deep starts more consistent. Also when skiing you want that slingshot effect back into the wake, newbie to WB'ing not so much. To me it was worth it to have a non-stretch rope, especially when learning. Just my .02 from a whole first summer of frustration Laughing

Quick google search says he can get away with 30 bucks
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=wakeboard+rope&cp=13&qe=d2FrZWJvYXJkIHJvcA&qesig=T4tYkJ5HdXMQFrs_9kHUSA&pkc=AFgZ2tnhDmxAUY2wpSetAIVa9RpERzRV6hpWGDCWHO58ulXB4nb-9xKjLKadOeciBNjxnBK-UFeVQEQT-UxC7ImLVzRQakHEEg&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2547002482871344203&sa=X&ei=qwHUTZ6kFsbDgQfpkJUu&sqi=2&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAQ&biw=1400&bih=935#

craZywakeboardererer
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 18, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once you go non-stretch, you never go back

...brand loyalty haha
huzzah

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all...just wanted to sent a quick thank you to everyone for your input and help. I ended up picking up a Ronix District board and bindings. I really like the board and didn't have a problem getting up, switch stance, and hitting jumps (only one or two feet out of the water though, but have picks to prove!).

Outside of trying working on hitting a jump fakey and trying to get a switchstance with a behind-the-back handle hand-off, I'm really liking it!

My wife used the same board I did and now she's looking around for her own board, so she's completely sold on it as well.

Anyway...just wanted to say thank you again!

PS - Any tips on carving toe side and switch stance behind the back would be very much appreciated! I'm trying to use my snowboard experience but there are qualities that make the two sports very distinct =)
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vids always help the most when it comes to giving and getting trick tips...but I'll try.

Carving TS is awkward at first because you are twisted up.
#1: Keep the handle planted to your lead hip, even back a little towards your butt. Helps keep you twisted.
#2: Lean away from the boat but at a 45 degree angle, i.e. don't lean completely away from the boat trying to face backwards.
#3: You carve TS by leaning, not by digging in your toes. To carve HS you just dig in your heels. If you dig in your toes you just sink into the water. I have a hard time explaining this, much easier showing you...but that's the best I know to say. Carve by leaning away, not by digging your toes.

For you switch stance surface backside 180, what are you doing wrong? How are you falling? Need that info to best advise what to change and how.

huzzah

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense on the TS lean. I kept getting rushes of water catching my back foot and dragging me down. I'll work on that.

For the backside 180, I couldn't get the rotation right. It's probably just a comfort thing. I caught a back edge a few times which was obvious....the rope variable is throwing me off as compared to snowboarding =)

I'll definitely be looking through vids all winter. Thanks for stopping by with tips V8!
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried slowing the boat down to practice your surface spins? There's a lot less pull against you as you slow down. Makes learning surface spins a LOT easier and the edge catches a lot less painful. It sounds like you have the general idea, you just need more practice!

huzzah

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...we have a crownline which has a real tough time crusing in the 2600-2800 RPM range (equivelent of 15-18 mph). Driver was running me at 2800-3000 RPMs or about 20 mph.

I'm ok with falling at those speeds. I did try working on a surface spin at slower speed but it started to feel like I was sinking too much (like snowboarding in really deep powder without enough speed if that makes sense).

Wish I had an Air Nautique Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: