Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

HD Antena Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: HD Antena Question Reply with quote

We just moved into our new house and won't be getting cable any time soon. I want to get an HD antena to see if I can atleast pick up the local chanels in HD, like I could back in Chattanooga. Some Question:

I heard that the HD antena's are really nothing but a UHF antena marketed as a "HD" antena. Will a UHF antena work?

Second, does the antena need to be outside. What I would really like to do is put the antena on the cable line where it comes out of the house, then just hook the TV to the cable line. Will this work?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678, most HD antennas for outdoor use are directional UHF antennas. So to answer that question, yes.

It is best if the antenna is outside, and as high up as possible, pointing towards the delivering antenna.

If you live close enough to the delivering antenna, it is possible you could just get away with an indoor (Set-top style) antenna. You could also put a directional in your attic and see if that works.

Use this utility to get your alignment correct: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Lastly, some outdoor antennas are not as hideous as others. There are also quite a few of omni-directional antennas that will work. Omni-directional might be useful if you find (after checking antennaweb) that you have delivering antennas scattered about rather than in one location.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live 20 miles north of Huntsville. I think I would only need the directional aimed south. When they wired my house for cable they ran all the cables out the south side of the house so that worked out well. I just didn't know if I could buy a splitter and connect all the cables to one antenna.

Second problem: There is no high speed internet available on our street. We have DSL at my inlaws 900yrd away on an adjacent street. Anyone ever use a cantenna to shoot their WIFI. I have seen some that say they work up to a mile. I have good line of sight with my inlaws house with nothing but crops in between. I have also been reading on how to build one with and old satellite dish. The $35 cantenna seems like a good option if they acutally work. I also don't mind having a second one working as a receiver at the new house. I could aim them at each other.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any technical specs, links, recommendations, etc for you but my brother in law does this on his farm because they have the same problem. He gets his internet shot from a house about a mile away and it works very well for him. Just saying it can be done easily and it works well. I have no idea what type of setup he has to pull this off.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678, the cantenna or "old sat dish" solution absolutely works. Just make sure when buying equipment you get stuff that allows for external antennas.

For TV: Yes you can just split off the antenna feed, but depending on how many TVs you may want to get a booster.

If you are 20mi from the antennas you shouldn't need much in the way of an antenna if there isn't a lot of obstruction between you and those antennas. Set it up, dial it in a bit, and enjoy free OTA tv. There are likely a handful of channels available you didn't know about on the station's feed. Out here, some stations have 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, etc.

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how the stations were in Chattanooga with multiple stations per number. However, in Chattanooga, just using the coax running through the house was enough to pick them up without an external antenna. I guess I was close enough to the antennas. I scanned last night and didn't get anything.

What equipment needs to allow for external antennas? What I was reading appeared to screw onto the router where the small antennas are screwed on. I guess that works for the one you want to send the signal with.

I am not really sure how the one that would receive the signal would hook up. Ideally I would like the receiving antenna to hook up to another wireless router to rebroadcast the wifi throughout the new house. I haven't really found any info on doing that. Most of the stuff I saw regarding using the cantenna for recieving signals involved hooking it up directly to your computer. I also think even with a cantenna the signal would spread out over 900 yrds and "paint" my house with the signal, maybe not needing the receiving can. I just don't know if the signal would be too weak at that point to work through all the walls all over the house. Most sites selling cantennas don't say anything about needing two. I guess I could try one and see how it goes.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678, the device just has to have a removable (screw-on) external antenna. I just wanted to warn you because many (most) routers/AP's/etc these days don't have an external.

You might be able to paint your house, but you will get far better results by setting up both a "pitcher" and a "catcher".

The "pitcher" unit is easy. Just build a cantenna or use a dish and point it at your house.

The "catcher" is a little more complicated. Obviously you want to set up a cantenna or dish on that end, but, there are 2 different ways you can set up the "catcher" unit. You can set up a repeater (stay on same network/SSID as "pitcher") or you can set up a wireless bridge if you want to create your own separate network.

Repeater

Pros: simple.
Cons: very minor chance of security issues due to being on the same network as your inlaws

I'd go this route if you are comfortable with your inlaws and they aren't the kind to obtain fun and exciting viruses from Needlepoint.com or some stuff. Plus it's really easy to do. Just make sure you are using WAP or WAP2, and set a decent password.

Bridge

Pros: you set your own security
Cons: would require an access point to "catch" the signal, and a router to re-distribute it in your house.

I'd go this route if you aren't super comfortable with those inlaws, or if you are afraid of their computer skillz (lack thereof). You can segregate your networks completely using this method, but it will cost a few bucks more to do it.

IF it was me: because I have extensive knowledge on how to do all of this, I'd do a bridge no matter what. But that's me.

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I think I will go the repeater route as my inlaws don't own or know how to use a computer, smart phone, tablet, etc... My wife and I got the DSL services while we were living there during our house construction. We have now moved, but can't get high speed internet at our house 1000 yrds away. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: