Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Back roll consistency

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhackedRampage
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Back roll consistency Reply with quote

I learned how to back roll last week and I have done at least 2 back rolls each session, but I cannot seem to get it consistent. It usually takes 3-4 attempts before landing it. Once I land it, it is a very smooth one, but the first few attempts are rough lol. Is there something I can do to get it more consistent or is it just a matter of practicing it each session like I have been?

Thanks!
rmaytee
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing that has helped me over the years, is when I hit that wake (with a bit more than average speed) I stand extreeeemly tall so I get as much pop as possible. This makes it so I can open way up about 3/4 through the roll, which slows me way down---slow enough to spot my landing. I do them 1 or 2 handed. Same thing helps me either way. I do much more consistent when I can spot my landing rather than just happening to land on my feet.
erikneufeld
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^2nd
standing really tall and really giving it some pre-load when you hit the wake is key, and if you need don't be afraid to let go with that back hand.

Also backrolls arent an aggressive approach so jumping harder at the wake DOES NOT mean cut in harder.

if youve started to land them though youll be fine, give it a few weeks and you wont miss a single one.
WhackedRampage
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out this past weekend and landed two in a row. I loaded the line and released it once I hit the wake. It popped me up pretty high and I landed down the other wake, felt smooth!

Do you guys have any tips for adding a grab to the back roll? Also, if I let go with my front hand, will that automatically put me into a roll to revert, or do I have to do something else as well?

Thanks!
erikneufeld
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a grab you need to pop higher than you would normally and mellow out the looping out motion when you take off because your gonna rotate faster while grabbing. do you want a nice high slow rotation and grabbing will speed it up. (and yes as long as you have line tension while in the air then yes it will more or less try and pull you to revert.)
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to let go with your front hand for a nose grab then you need to shift the handle to your front hip with your rear hand. If you don't shift the handle you will absolutely do a revert on your way down. It requires you to really push the handle hard with your back hand to get it where you don't twist to the revert. A grabbed backroll, IMO, is much harder than a grabbed tantrum because of the tendency to revert on the way down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: