Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Tantrum Help Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Hudd

City: Mt. Juliet

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Tantrum Help Needed Reply with quote

My Tantrum sucks big time. Sorry I don't have a video to post, but even if I did I would be too ashamed for yall to view it.

Basically, it looks more like a big time off-axis backside 180. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's def something.

Every summer I get excited about trying it because it seems like a simple invert and I have no problem with backflips on the tramp or diving board, but it never fails that I screw up on it the same way every time and I just give up on it. So I really want to get on with this trick or give up on it forever.

Any advice?
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need video!
J-Hudd

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Sorry. If I don't get any help with it before the next time I go out, then I'll get somebody to film my lousy attempt.
J-Hudd

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if I tell you what I think I'm doing wrong, then it'll help.

"I think" that when I go for the flip I let my lead arm straighten out way too much. Also, it feels like instead of throwing my head up and back, my head seems to be moving in the direction where my eyes are looking over my back shoulder.

And it seems that no matter how hard I try to throw my head up and back it just wants to roll over that back shoulder.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edging Position
The seated edging position sets you up to get off your edge quickly before the wake so you can switch edges and trip yourself into the flip. If you edge tall it’s hard to get off edge and you end up usually edging through the wake resulting in a “board around the back” rotation. Edge out and then coast. While you coast sit low before you make the turn back in. Once you’re seated then start the turn in toward the wake and start the edge aggressively.

Another way to look at it is if you edge tall and switch edges tall you won’t be able to push with your legs off the top of the wake since they are already tall or straighter. If you edge in seated and switch edges seated you will be able to spring up high off the top of the wake to pop the flip.

The Take Off (Pop)

The take off for a tantrum is very different from a standard “edge through” wake jump where you push more evenly off of both feet while your body is facing the back of the boat. The tantrum is more of a one footed Ollie pop off the top of the wake, so let’s go through some things that will help you pop up high to flip.

First and foremost, a tantrum is a one-handed trick. So you should have one hand off the handle before you get to the bottom of the wake. This is the major contributor to the pop and being able to square your shoulders up at the wake. If you hold on too long you won’t be able to square up and it will cause you to edge through. This take off is one-handed just like you would do a one-handed Ollie out in the flats beside the boat and you should have your back facing the take off wake as you pop.

Also, like the Ollie you punch down on the tail of the board to pop while bringing up your front knee. This position related to a tantrum helps you ride up the wake on your toes instead of your heels while at the same time helping your board ride up more like a Heelside Front Flip which is a trick that is directed up before over. If you try to pop evenly off of both feet you will tend to leave early off the bottom of the wake and the flip will be very low often not even clearing both wakes. For riders wanting to learn Whirlybirds and Tantrum to Blinds I usually instruct them to leave the wake with their lower body more like a Heelside Front Flip while their upper body does a Tantrum position to direct their flips more up and toward the boat instead of away from the boat. Throwing the trick away from the boat creates a lot of line tension that usually pulls the flip around the back instead of over the top. If the rotation is around the back the rider will struggle to land over the board and usually lands back against the rope or on the rider’s butt. If you square up properly and pop straight up you will flip straight over and back onto your feet evenly.

When you go flat for this trick and then square up don’t turn your head away from the wake before you leave the wake. It’s important to watch yourself ride up the wake so your timing is correct and your pop is good. Square your shoulders but leave your head looking toward your front shoulder and down toward the wake so you can time the pop. It’s very common for riders to square up early with their shoulders and head but then there timing is off because they are looking away from the top of the wake. You can see that my eyes and head are focused on the top of wake as I ride through and pop. It’s not till I have left that I lift my chin to look up for the rotation.

One of the hardest things to do mentally when popping a tantrum is trusting that your edge change will flip you back. Your job at the wake is to pop up without directing the flip back. You trip edge will direct you back and start the rotation. You’ll notice in the pictures that my body is straight up as I leave and then it falls backward after. All you should do is pop up as high as you possibly can. You don’t really even have to throw your head back, however it is very natural for this to happen. You can leave the wake and tuck your chin down toward your chest and your edge will still flip you backward. I recommend just lifting your chin off the top. Don’t bend or throw your head back.

The Handle

As I mentioned above, the tantrum is a one-handed trick. This is the key to getting into the squared up position at the wake. Directly in front of the take off wakes trough release your back hand while keeping your front arm bent to keep tension on the rope. Your front elbow will remain bent throughout the trick to keep tension on the rope for control. It’s almost like you are attaching your elbow to your hip bone for the entire rotation and that becomes your flipping axis.

With some bend in your arm you will be able to adjust out if your rotation is too fast or in if your rotation is too slow. Either way, this arm position puts you in a position to control your rotation speed. Along with controlling the speed you can also control a spin if your rotation starts to twist for some reason. If you start to flip and rotate Frontside or Backside you can move the handle in the same direction as the spin in a straight line across the back of the boat to counter the spin and keep yourself straight. For a regular footed rider who is turning to the left off the wake or Frontside they should move the handle left to counter the spin and keep them straight.

The Landing

LandingThis is one of the few tricks where you don’t have to land and keep edging out toward the flats. You can land and stop or even land a little over your toes. If you try to edge on the landing it causes you to land with your chest open toward the back of the boat and you will land way back against the rope. This will eventually cause problems with the take off and direct the flips rotation around the back instead of over the top. Try to land even over both feet, with your shoulders a bit over your toes but inline with the boat path and not facing the back of the boat. The rope should be held to your side as if it were attached to your front hip. Try to keep a bit of tension on it just enough for control by keeping your front arm bent at the elbow. On this landing you don’t have to find the boat, look toward shore or look forward. You can look down at the water or toward your feet without affecting the landing of the trick.

Tantrum Step By Step

1.Take an aggressive and wide edge out away from the wakes to set up for the Trip Flip edge for this trick.
2.After edging out come off edge quickly so you can coast and then get into a seated edging position.
3.Once seated look toward the wake, make your turn and edge aggressively toward the beginning of the approach to build enough speed so you can let off and flatten before the wake.
4.While keeping the seated edging position flatten off the board directly before the trough of the wake where the foam sits in the water. At the same time release your back hand. Make sure you go flat and stay seated. It’s very easy to stand up while going flat at the same time and your pop will be affected if you do.
5.Ride up the wake on your Toeside edge and square up your shoulders at the same time. As you ride up the wake bring your front knee up.
6.As you get closer to the top of the wake push tall off of the tail of the board and lift your chin straight up into the air. Try to keep your front elbow bent and close to your front hip.
7.As you leave the wake look straight up into the air and then tuck your knees to flip back into the back flip. With your head back you should be able to pick up the landing of the trick very quickly.
8.After looking straight up look down quickly to see the landing side wake toward your feet. At first things will happen very fast and looking up and then immediately down will help you find the landing easier. Later you can just look up, find the landing wake and track it all the way in toward your feet.
9.Land directly over both feet evenly with your knees bent a bit just like you would stick a back flip landing on land. You don’t have to keep moving out on this tricks landing.

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for all those pointers. Those tips make me really wanna get back out there and try it. I might get to go out early next week and I'll post the results.

Again thanks alot!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: