Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Newbee needs some help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harmsway

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Newbee needs some help please Reply with quote

Ok I just bought a boat a few months ago and just started wakeboarding. I LOVE IT!!! I have already broken a board fixed it then broke the other side. I think it is because I am landing face first and the pressure of the water is ripping my boot from the board. Nevertheless I have tried to keep my weight back so I don’t do face plants as often. I cant do anything really other than get up and jump off of the wake, I can clear the wake and have tried to do some spins but never landing them.

I have 3 videos here the last one being my best air (recorded). I would like for someone to point out what I am doing wrong? Or what I could do better ANYTHING would help me at this point. I am self taught and would like to get really good at this sport. So please the more detail and more suggestions would be fantastic.

I found this site and plan on being on here allot

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k513/harmsway_15/?action=view&current=photobucket-5184-1309365727197.mp4

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k513/harmsway_15/?action=view&current=photobucket-6274-1309365414956.mp4

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k513/harmsway_15/?action=view&current=photobucket-4051-1309362760152.mp4
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you one thing right off the bat that will solve a lot of your problems. On all three attempts, you're bringing the handle up to your face in the air. The higher the handle is on a straight air, the less control you will have. You need to keep the handle tucked in close to your body at waist level.

One thing I'm constantly reminded of on every new trick I try is that handle position is everything. You control the handle. Don't let the handle control you!

harmsway

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. You know I saw that also in slow motion. Right before I fell I saw the handle at my face. How do you do that though bc when I jump then bring my legs up how on earth do you keep it at your hip? Do I need to have my arms out, jump, then pull into my hip? Wont that cause me to start a face plant in mid air from the pull?
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmsway wrote:
Thank you for responding. You know I saw that also in slow motion. Right before I fell I saw the handle at my face. How do you do that though bc when I jump then bring my legs up how on earth do you keep it at your hip? Do I need to have my arms out, jump, then pull into my hip? Wont that cause me to start a face plant in mid air from the pull?

Nope, don't have your arms out in mid-air. You will indeed faceplant. You can bring your legs up without bringing the handle up, as you see in the pic below. The handle is about level with my waist. Practice this by doing small jumps (one wake or inside out) and bringing your knees up to your chest. You don't need to try any grabs. Just get used to bringing your knees up while keeping the handle steady.

wake2.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  177.18 KB
 Viewed:  24484 Time(s)

SexyWS6Mama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Killeen

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your handle placement is all wrong. You need to have that handle LOWER on HS (elbows to waist) on TS (handle to back hip). You need to keep your handle low during progressive cut, in air and when you land. Not to mention have your eyes looking outward and not down. Fixing your handle placement will fix those wake jumps and you'll land in control instead of everywhere. Good Luck! You got nice height!
harmsway

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so you think that’s all it is? Handel placement? I sure hope so I am going out this weekend and hopefully get some more footage. Thank you for the suggestions. Ill post some after the weekend and we can critique me some more lol

Thanks again
gswake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Little Rock

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmsway, I am not the best person to be giving advice, but, I got some advice from an instructor recently that I think may apply to you too. In your stance (all the time, not just for jumps), try rolling your hips forward some - sort of thrust your pelvis forward. It puts your shoulders back and keeps you from hunching over.

And I second the comment about eyes - surprising how much difference it makes.

harmsway

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In dummy terms do you mean lean back at all times?
gswake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Little Rock

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Try this: stand up straight, and bend your knees a little (without bending forward.) Then just push your hips forward. Your back should still be straight. It may feel awkward on land, but with the pull of the rope it's pretty relaxed - and lets more of your body contribute to resisting the pull (so you won't tire as quickly, either.)

Again, I may be totally off-base, especially since I'm only looking at short clips. Maybe someone else with chime in with a yea/nay about it.

harmsway

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this in front of my desk sure makes co workers look at me funny lol. Feels weird how do you not slide out being in this position when landing? Your instructor told you to do this? Ill try it but yes it is WAY uncomfortable. Thanks for the tips!
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position he's talking about is uncomfortable because it's like doing a squat or a wall sit. It's like sitting on a toilet or a chair. It's a good position to approach the wake in. You can then extend your legs and explode off the wake. When you land, you can allow your knees to bend back into that position, at least partially, to absorb the force of the landing. The key is not to let your back bend forward. My coach is always telling me "Don't break at the waist!" It's something I still struggle with, but if you can keep your back straight on landings, you'll ride away from just about anything.
harmsway

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good way of putting it. I like what your coach says don’t break at the waist… guess that’s why he is a coach lol. Well I am excited about this weekend and planning on using all of the information that has been giving to me. thank you all hopefully I can come back with some awesome videos and start asking for more advanced trick advice… wish me luck!
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck dude! I look forward to seeing your vids so I or someone more qualified can give you some more advice.
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank all of you for the tips that you gave me. Well no video I do have some pictures that I have not got off of my camera yet but I tried to leave my handle at my waist like I was told by everyone. I didn’t get as high or as far as I normally do, however I did land allot more than usual.

Because of this quote below from sexy mama I landed my first toeside 180 lol I know she was talking about leaving my handle at my back hip when coming off of the toeside but I got in the air then pulled it and got luckY and landed a 180 lmao so THANK YOU!!!

SexyWS6Mama wrote:
Your handle placement is all wrong. You need to have that handle LOWER on HS (elbows to waist) on TS (handle to back hip). You need to keep your handle low during progressive cut, in air and when you land. Not to mention have your eyes looking outward and not down. Fixing your handle placement will fix those wake jumps and you'll land in control instead of everywhere. Good Luck! You got nice height!
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha sick, I can feel you stoke coming through the computer screen Very Happy
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O yea definitely unexpected but I played it off well Cool
vossy003

City: Highland

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that could help would be to invest in a nonstretch wakeboard rope. I'm not sure, but it looks like you are using a ski rope.
Good job on the toe side 180, get us a vid!
jmv78

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your toeside edge needs some work. Im not sure if anybody before hit that. But when you edge on your toeside you should try to stand tall. And your chest almost points up in the air. Put as much of the force on the back corner of your board as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FL3Ps7WDng

This series of vids really helped me figure out how to edge/carve. Unfortunately my setup doesnt really offer much in the way of jumping. Im on an old runabout with no ballast or tower. But its fun just to get out there, and about once a year I get a real pull.

- Good luck buddy
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmv78 wrote:
Your toeside edge needs some work. Im not sure if anybody before hit that. But when you edge on your toeside you should try to stand tall. And your chest almost points up in the air. Put as much of the force on the back corner of your board as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FL3Ps7WDng

This series of vids really helped me figure out how to edge/carve. Unfortunately my setup doesnt really offer much in the way of jumping. Im on an old runabout with no ballast or tower. But its fun just to get out there, and about once a year I get a real pull.

- Good luck buddy

GREAT observation... my toeside edge sucks after looking at that video. Thank you going to lake tomorrow and will give it a shot!
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vos lol your right it was a ski tope I now have a wakeboard rope now that is paying attation to details Mr. Green
fotoshark

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, does a ski rope really differ that much from a wake rope ?

- T.
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen much difference in the to. Only thing that I can really tell is that the handle is bigger on a wakeboard rope…
SexyWS6Mama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Killeen

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmsway wrote:
I want to thank all of you for the tips that you gave me. Well no video I do have some pictures that I have not got off of my camera yet but I tried to leave my handle at my waist like I was told by everyone. I didn’t get as high or as far as I normally do, however I did land allot more than usual.

Because of this quote below from sexy mama I landed my first toeside 180 lol I know she was talking about leaving my handle at my back hip when coming off of the toeside but I got in the air then pulled it and got luckY and landed a 180 lmao so THANK YOU!!!

SexyWS6Mama wrote:

your welcome. If you're going to do a air 180, then come in like a normal jump, eyes out, handle low, bend/extend at wake (still looking out), then at the apex (top of jump), then you take the handle and switch to opposite hip; again eyes still looking out. Most people rotate their 180's too soon. Instead you should be rotating the 180 and the top of the jump or when your coming down. Good job! THe more you throw the more you can focus on every little detail!

Be patient and your learning curve will enhance!
harmsway

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea for sure, I can land them almost every time now. I go big air on heelside and toeside i come back with my 180 lol. Tanks again though. i would not have even been able to land it if you didnt reply and I di it on accedent lol
harmsway

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my arms are still high it is very hard for me to keep them at my waist for some reason… hard to break a bad habit I guess. Here is the most recent video that I shot a couple of weeks ago. Quality sucks but you can get the idea lol . I have improved tremendously in the short times that I actually get to ride

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k513/harmsway_15/?action=view&current=photobucket-4810-1312826355874.mp4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: