Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

toe side w2w, and hs 360

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: May 14, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: toe side w2w, and hs 360 Reply with quote

here is a vid, i know its long, but there is a lot of ts jumps. they all feel awkward to me. i feel like i have the hs w2w's down. but i could be all wrong. what am i doing wrong? want to have hs and ts 360's down this year if not more.

TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 14, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those one wake TS jumps you're doing actually look pretty consistent, but it's a little hard to tell what you're doing from that camera distance. I went through this process myself just last month, and I finally have consistent/poppy TS jumps. They're not nearly as good as my HS yet, so I still have a lot of work to do, but I'll give you some tips that helped me:

1. The angle at which you lean your body into the handle/into the turn generates a lot of the speed you need to clear the wake toeside, but a lot of people will bend over at the waist. They'll lean their upper body further over than their lower body, and this will cause them to trip over the wake and faceplant or come down front heavy. Focus on keeping your upper and lower body leaning at roughly the same angle. If you feel like you're not getting enough speed, you'll be tempted to bend at the wait and lean over more. Instead of doing this, focus on leaning your lower body harder and sinking your edge deeper into the water with your toes.

2. Handle position/control is everything. Don't be afraid to crank down on that handle and really press it into your lead hip. Try to keep it there even when the force of hitting the wake tries to rip it away and keep it there throughout the jump. This will help you keep your balance and forward momentum.

3. The pop needs to come from both feet. On a heelside jump, you can often get away with using mostly your back foot to pop. But when I started trying big TS jumps, this was kicking me into the back seat. I was falling backwards and landing on my butt. It may feel unnatural/scary at first, but you have to get comfortable with cutting in with more weight on your front foot. Keep your front foot weighted throughout the whole cut and use both feet to pop when you hit the wake. This might require different timing than a heelside jump, but you'll get used to it.

4. Keep your knees bent equally. I used to take off with my front leg much straighter than my back leg, and this was another thing that kicked me backwards and onto my butt. Keep that front leg loaded up with weight/pressure and that front knee bent.

5. Learn from the best! Pick a pro video or a how to video that has excellent quality and close up shots and just watch the edge into the wake. Visualizing and mimicking the motion off the water has really helped me. This one is excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37nwE7RJBuw

I hope that helps. As for the 360, I'm in the same boat as you. It's one of my summer goals, as you can see in my thread below this one. Good luck!

P.S. : How do you get your board so far out of the water on those tail presses? That looks really fun!

Lotz

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speed are you riding at?
slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing i can tell you is to over exaggerate the twisted body position, at first i just held the handle close to my hip, let the boat initiate the cut, and then leaned into a little, this got good pop but i came up short on two wake jumps, watched some videos on learnwake and one had a drill that focused on getting in the correct twisted position, basically i was turned towards the boat too much, i started twisting my lower body just a little bit more towards the wake just to where it started to feel awkward, this gave me a little more speed using the same approach as before which got me the extra 2-3 feet i needed to make it all the way
robblack

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what helped me the most was just man-ing up an going for it. because i would just do one wake ts jumps and once i got comfortable with those i just went for the w2w. i got it in like 3 trys after that.
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your heelside needs some work too. Just because you're consistent doesn't mean you're doing it properly. There's many ways to w2w. You need to be more progressive on your edge heels side. You go instantly into full edge. You're clearing the wake from speed alone, I think you could find a lot more height out of your jumps if you slowed it down a bit and focussed on really leaning against the line. Make sure that rope doesn't leave your waist line. Notice on your heelside jumps your arms are extended out in front of your chest? this is not the proper way to come in. Try to keep the rope lower and lean back against the rope. Your jump comes from the load you put on the rope as well as the pressure from the water.

Another thing I noticed is you're screwing yourself over again and again and again. Every time you carve out hard to prepare for your heelside jump you edge as hard as you can(mimic this edge for your toeside jump and get ready to fly, btw). Your boat is just tiny. From the looks of the wake it's not a very powerful or heavy boat. So every time you edge away from the boat the way you do it yanks the back of the boat around and completely ruins the wake as well as slowing the boat down. You're probably losing a lot of your pop just from this one small thing. You have no need to edge out like this either as every single time you did a double cut back in.

As I said above. That aggressive edge you use to prepare for your heelside jump is what you want to be doing for your toeside jump. I guarantee if you took that approach you would easily outdo your heelside jumps... by far.
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on your heelside jumps. It's hard to tell from the camera distance but it looks like you're edging technique is all wrong... but only for your jumps strangely. When edging away from the wake in either direction you have a good strong edge but then when edging towards the wake for your jumps the board is staying quite flat on the water. More like you're turning the board instead of using the edge of the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: