Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

My Trick Run: What'ya Think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: My Trick Run: What'ya Think? Reply with quote

Hey Y'all,

My first contest is on Saturday morning (gravel tour). I'm in the novice division: no inverts and 3 falls. I won't be doing a double-up because I've never hit one. Here's the trick run I've come up with. What do ya think? Are there any changes I should make to get more points or reduce the chance of falling?

Pass 1:
1. HS roast beef grab (dialed, huge into the flats)
2. TS indy grab (pretty solid, but not very big)
3. HS tail grab (dialed)
4. TS melon 180 (I always make the rotation, but I don't always get the grab early enough)
5. HS nose grab (dialed)

Pass 2:
1. HS melon 180 (f*n HUGE , pretty solid unless I get lazy and land on my heels and have to slide around to save it)
2. Switch HS 180 (sketchy. I'm a little worried about clearing the wake, might case it)
3. Switch TS 180 (super hard for me, I usually take off too back foot heavy and land on my ass)
4. TS 360 (super hard, I often over-rotate and land butter)

I won't be mad if I fall on one of the last two or three tricks, but I'd like to make everything else. Of course, it's my first contest and I'm not used to riding on a proper wake, so I might totally bomb.

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably switch trick 5 from pass 1 (HS nose grab) with trick 3 from pass 2 (Switch TS 180). This way you have more chances of at least trying your 2 hardest tricks. If you keep it as is and fall on the switch ts180 you'll probably not have enough time to get up to speed and try the 3.
Also, you won't have to switch back from switch to normal stance before you do the last trick, so it'll look smoother. Same for the second pass; you win twice.

About "Switch HS 180 (sketchy. I'm a little worried about clearing the wake, might case it)"; just wait a little bit longer with initiating the rotation. First jump (and get air), then do the 180.
Good luck man, stick all tricks!

TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR wrote:
I'd probably switch trick 5 from pass 1 (HS nose grab) with trick 3 from pass 2 (Switch TS 180).

A guy on WakeWorld recommended this same thing last night. Dunno if that was you, but either way, I'm totally doing this. Thanks!

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't me! Didn't check ww yesterday, but apparently the advice makes sense. Smile

One other thing is on the 3; I used to have the same problem. What's probably your problem too is that you turn your head too far upon landing, looking towards the boat. To not overrotate look away from the boat, back to where the boat came from. (Don't thank me, thank Kyle Schmidt and Learnwake.com!)

TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravel Tour was SICK!

As soon as I got to the site, I chatted it up with the people in my division. I figured it would be better to be chill and have fun than be serious or try to intimidate kids half my age. As soon as I got in the water, pretty much all of my nerves just evaporated. I was so stoked just to be there. Travis Moye was driving and I told him to wait so I could take a piss. He did Very Happy. He was a very chill driver and made me feel very comfortable. Thanks Travis!

I was super stoked on my run. I fell twice, but that was fine because I was allowed three falls. I rode with confidence and went bigger than anyone else in my division. The course turned out to be much shorter than what I had been practicing for, which threw me off. I didn't have time to do all the tricks I wanted to do, but I got some good hits in there. I really felt like a winner when I whipped back into the dock.

There were seven riders in my division and I ended up in a tie for 4th place. I was a little disappointed because I felt like I should've gotten 3rd, but I was also really proud because I had been expecting to totally crack under the pressure.

After talking to the judges and the other riders, I realized that I really hadn't understood the scoring. It turned out that I had wasted the time before my first turn and after my last turn. I didn't know that I was allowed to start doing tricks right away and keep going until I hit the dock, so I missed out on a chance to get some of my most technical tricks in there, like the 360. I should've paid more attention during the riders meeting.

Because it was novice division, the judges were really looking for consistency and solid fundamentals, which were not my strong points. I didn't like the scoring system because the 3rd place rider had repeated a lot of tricks, not taken any real risks, not gone beyond the 2nd wake, and not done many grabs. I felt like my intensity, variety, and style should've counted for more, even if I fell more and didn't get in quite as many hits.

That said, it's their contest, and those are the rules. I'm not mad at the judges. They were super nice in explaining what I'd done wrong. I need to learn to manage the course better and be more consistent with my form.

Overall, it was a super fun and exciting experience, and I can't wait for my INT comps in August and the last two stops of the Gravel Tour in September and October. I'm gonna go back to work on my pass and hopefully land on the podium soon. Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf, Travis Moye, the judges, and all the other riders at the comp for making my first contest experience so chill and so fun!

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer on Jul 17, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man, good to hear you had fun. Sounds like you'll be on the podium in one of the next stops.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that you that got booted kinda off axis on a couple 180 attempts? Bright ass blue bindings? Gloves maybe?
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd wrote:
Was that you that got booted kinda off axis on a couple 180 attempts? Bright ass blue bindings? Gloves maybe?

Yes! Who were you?

ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't riding, my buddy's daughter was riding grom so I was out there to root her on. I saw this thread other night and figured that was you. Nice run man, you were getting booted for sure, get those extra couple tricks in there from the dock and after the second turn and you'll be on the podium for sure. Biggest thing to remember when riding comps is to stay busy Even if it's just doing a butter slide or something while the boat is turning around, those are extra points and are the difference between a tie for 4th and 3rd all by yourself.
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd wrote:
I wasn't riding, my buddy's daughter was riding grom so I was out there to root her on. I saw this thread other night and figured that was you. Nice run man, you were getting booted for sure, get those extra couple tricks in there from the dock and after the second turn and you'll be on the podium for sure. Biggest thing to remember when riding comps is to stay busy Even if it's just doing a butter slide or something while the boat is turning around, those are extra points and are the difference between a tie for 4th and 3rd all by yourself.

Haha ya I was enjoying myself so much doing those surface 180s on my knees and cutting out towards the bank with the handle behind my back to show off when I should've been doing tricks Laughing Thanks for the kind words and the advice. If you're at the next stop of the tour in September, don't hesitate to introduce yourself!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: