Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Oil Question???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: May 26, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Oil Question??? Reply with quote

Since my '83 MC Stars / Stripes has a FORD 351W in it... can I use standard oil when I change? I have been told to use 15w40... but that is deisel oil... seems too heavy to me.

Thanks.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: May 26, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would be fine with that. personally i run 10-30 in a 350 mag mpi.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 26, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good... was thinking so... thanks!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 27, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartman wrote:
you would be fine with that. personally i run 10-30 in a 350 mag mpi.

I run a 25W40 synthetic blend in mine. Why? Because that is what the owners manual says is the preferred weight. It also says that 10W30 will work if need be. I try to stick to the heavier weight synthetic blends in mine but to each his own. kartman knows a helluva lot more about engines than I do so I'm sure he's got sound reasons for using 10W30.

I've read countless threads on the interwebs and the only thing I've seen them agree on is that you should avoid a multi-viscous oil if possible. Otherwise, put whatever kind of oil in it you can find on the shelf of a local auto parts store.

9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 27, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run straight 40w oil in all our boats that we run through our shop, and all of our personal boats as well. The reason you should stay away from a multi weight oil is because a boat motor never builds up that much heat and you need the oil pressure.
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: May 28, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always run straight 30w or 40w in my boat. The multi-viscosity oils were developed for starting an engine and running at cold temperatures. I never run mine at 30 degrees.

The real problem with an older boat like yours (and mine) is the flat tappet cam. It requires Zinc Phosphate (ZDDP) to survive. There has been a reduced amount of this in oil for about the past 10 years. It harms O2 sensors. It may bite you, it may not. I have found that the straight weight diesel/tractor oils have it. You can tell from the label, it will say something like "for 2002 and earlier".

I just buy it in the 5 gal bucket because I have several classic cars that have the same problem.

Google search this and you will find a lot of info.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... thanks for the input yall!!!
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler wrote:
I always run straight 30w or 40w in my boat. The multi-viscosity oils were developed for starting an engine and running at cold temperatures. I never run mine at 30 degrees.

The real problem with an older boat like yours (and mine) is the flat tappet cam. It requires Zinc Phosphate (ZDDP) to survive. There has been a reduced amount of this in oil for about the past 10 years. It harms O2 sensors. It may bite you, it may not. I have found that the straight weight diesel/tractor oils have it. You can tell from the label, it will say something like "for 2002 and earlier".

I just buy it in the 5 gal bucket because I have several classic cars that have the same problem.

Google search this and you will find a lot of info.

Bingo. Older boats do not need a low temperature weight. I've run 40w in all my older Supras. It takes care of the cam, and also ensure that those older boats get a good lubrication even if there is a little bit of blow-by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: