Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Possible location for the next Kite Trip!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Possible location for the next Kite Trip! Reply with quote

Well doing some research on where I'd like to go for my next kite trip.

One of the guys I kited with back in December has a place in Cabarete. He just sent me this email with a bunch of good info if anyone is interested. He spends about 1-2 months or so there a year and is now retired after selling his oil company. Can you say Jealous.... anyways here's a couple of emails he sent if anyone is interested in going to Cabarete.

Tangerine has big shore break.
Kitebeach is nice to swim as the reef shelters the water. The wind comes up around noon, so then swimmers get out.
Around Cabarete there are lots of kids and many places that are safe for them.

November Dec is rainy season and waves are truly BIG on the outside. The whole bay can cl;ose out with surf. But its a big area inside to kite in.
Dec was when I got my best riding except a few weeks ago I saw stuff as big. Summer waves are smaller and more wind comes up and its dry and hotter.

Check out the chart I attached. I like Cabarete and Maui where you get real surf. Brazil is all mushy shore wind waves. Baja is cold water.

Also open this anc click on the satelite map shaded areas. http://www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinations/cabarete.php

I'd be game fort another Cabarete trip in November to December, and we should convince the Keho gang to come along. Maybe we could all pile in the Wyhdham Tangerine all inclusive.

Hi Pat,
We are leaving for Cabarete to kite for 3 weeks on April 24th and we return May 15th. You should give it a go one day.

I just did this for a friend who wants to go soon, so I thought I'd share it with you. See all teh stuff below.

See you on the water or at Spray Lakes. I'm probably going tomorrow Wednesday.

All the best, and enjoy the read.

Laurent

Here is some information on kitesurfing in Cabarete:

Other things to do when there when there is no wind, and general info: http://www.activecabarete.com/activities/

Getting there: Westjet, AirTransat, AirCanada - fly to Puerto Plata (POP) than drive or cab to Cabarete.

Kite schools - here are a few which I would recommend:

Kite Club School at Kite Beach is my favorite http://www.kiteclubcabarete.com/ ask for Silke the Manager. She is very helpful. They have a nice little restaurant at the skite school.

Dare2Fly at Kitebeach has one bedroom studio with small kitchenettes for $87/night cash. (Otherwise its 16% tax) at Agualina Resort. Nice place to stay. http://www.dare2fly.com/ and http://www.agualina.com/

There are 2 large bays, one east at Cabarete Bay is more active at night and mostly windsurfing on the east half.

The other bay is KiteBeach Bay where all the schools are. It is pretty busy at Kite Beach with kites everywhere so a bit scary, but you can easily enough ask to be taken to the east Bay where it is quieter.

Places to stay:

In Cabarete Bay on the beach, farther from Kiting is Velero Beach Resort (upscale 1 or 2 bedroom condo and hotel style) http://www.velerobeach.com/ but close to all sorts of restaurants on the beach. There is also Ocean One and Ocean Dream resorts, as well as new resorts like Millenium.

Midway between Cabarete Bay and Kite Beach is Nanny Estates (2 bedroom condos). http://www.cabaretebeachhouses.com/ I'm staying there this time. Not far from Cabarete restaurants and groceries. Also there is Wynham Tangerine which is an all inclusive through airlines. OK food, good spot, noisy, option to eat elsewhere.

At Kite Beach you could rent a condo at Ocean Point, Agualina Resort, http://www.agualina.com/ (I liked that one a lot) or Kite Beach Hotel (ask to be ground floor on the ocean side). You need a car to go get groceries from here as it is a 2 km walk down the beach. I have a friend who has a condo at Ocean Point for rent. Price not known.

If you are going by yourself for 1 week, I would get a one bedroom with breakfast. Not worth getting grocoeies, and we often walk over to Cabarete (1km) for either breakfast or supper.

If you just want to focus on kiting and have a quieter environment then stay at kite beach. Here are more tips:

I like the peace and quiet of Kite Beach, and its not along walk to Cabarete, and you can jump a cab or motorcycrecommend Kite Beach Hotel if you want breakfast included. They have a restaurant that is reasonable and has great fish. They do all 3 meals. ($110/night roughly)

Or Agualina Resort beach front ground floor appartment with kitchenette, if you dont care or want to make your own food sometimes. They have breakfast and lunch, beer, no supper. ($90/night roughly)

Next door is a grass hut with a bar that does lunch.

If you want to be closer to the night life and busier spot, stay in Cabarete on the beach

Many spots, Velero, Villa Taina etc...Tons of restaurants, fairly pricey but good.

Lots of activity, busy. Walk 1 km to Kite Beach every day

If you are going with a friend for a week, maybe Nanny Estates is good. Thats where we are staying. It is smack half way between Cabarete and Kite Beach. 2 bedroom condos ($95/night roughly ) or Wyndham Tangerine all inclusive. I like cooking my own things, and groceries are close and lots of variety.

Restaurants at Kite Beach:

KiteClub - you can have breakfast and lunch too. A friend of ours runs the place and they do lessons right out of there.

Call Silke or Jose Luis at KiteClub for lessons. Make sure they give you a fluent English speaking instructor.

Agualina - breakfast and lunch. They have the Dare2Fly kite school. KiteClub is better.

KiteBeach Hotel - all 3 meals. They have anothe kite school, but I forgot the name.

Flights:

Westjet is who we fly with this time of year as charters are pretty much done for. Westjet leaves Calgary after midnight, gets you to TO 6AM same day and you take the next flight at 11 AM same day to Puerto Plata. You get there around 4PM same day, really tired, but with lots of time for a late afternoon, evening swim. Coming back on Westjet around 2PM you stop in TO for a few hours and arrive in CAlgary at 10PM or so on the same day.

Air Transat goes to Puerto Plata direct from Calgary but not sure right now.

Sunwings also goes direct but I think the charters are over, maybe not.

Air Canada goes also, but they stop you overnight in TO which is a waste of a vacation.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabarete is legendary! Ive never been, but its one of those spots they say you have to visit. Ive spoke to some riders who have gone. Overall they say it lives up to the hype as far as a fun trip and kiting every day. However, most said that its just kinda middle of the road as far as conditions, beach, accomodations, and having other activities. If you have any non-kiters in your group, they may be disappointed.

After doing Cuba, I dont know that Cabarete will have the same wow-factor. Im still down to go, though!

As far as epic spots go, you should look into what Fuertaventura would cost money and time wise.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr,

Fuertaventura?

Never heard of it. Google map search holy crap not a little weekend trip. If I'm traveling that far, wouldn't Bora Bora, Tahiti be a better choice?

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, its not a quicky. I've never heard one way or the other if Bora Bora get decent consistent wind, while Fuerte is also legendary for blowing all the time. Flat water and waves. Its that same blue water.

Not a quick trip, but one to keep on your short list.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: