Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro: Upgrade to Stargazer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 28, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro: Upgrade to Stargazer? Reply with quote

So, here's my story. I've got a 2007 Four Winns 220 Horizon with a Merc 350 MPI Mag, Bravo 3 outdrive. This is an I/O bowrider, I bought it new in 2007. When properly weighted/trimmed, it puts out a pretty decent wake. I installed PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro in it in July 2007.

It has NEVER worked right in Wakeboard mode. I've been through a servo motor and am on my 2nd impeller on the paddlewheel in an attempt to get it to work right. Works like a champ in RPM mode, but surges 3-4 miles over or under the setpoint in wakeboard mode. So far, in 2 years' time, PP hasn't been able to get this solved.

I can use it in RPM mode, but it burns my ass that I paid $1,200 for something I can only use in RPM mode. It can be a little difficult to use RPM mode when I have differing numbers of riders, passengers, and weight too. Some guys like to ride at 19MPH, others at 22MPH. This can be tough to dial in using RPM mode because of how much speed change 25 RPMs can make at times. Not so tough when I'm the driver, but a less experienced-driver when I'm the one riding usually has trouble and I waste about 1/3 of my energy getting that driver all set. Plus, on a windy day, RPM mode will give you differing speeds into the wind v. with the wind and that can mean a lot of on-the-fly adjusting to conditions.

Long story short, I bought the system primarily for the speed control feature and it doesn't work very well. I could live with .5 or .8 MPH variations, but 3-4 MPH variations is VERY hard on your rider.

So, now that Stargazer exists and my speed control still does not work, I'm considering a changeover. Trouble is, I don't want to spend another $500 to make my PP work right when it never did in the first place. Original price for PP WB Pro was $1,200; Stargazer is $1,400.

I don't think I'm out of line for not wanting to pay the $500. Anyone think I've got a leg to stand on with PP? Anyone have prior experience dealing with them? Anyone think they'd send me the upgrade at no cost due to my continuing problems with WB Pro that they can't solve? What if I offered to pay the $200 difference between systems?
mneal
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: St. Petersburg

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar boat as you. (20' br with SBC, tower and ballast) .
I installed PP WB Pro about 3 yrs ago. Mine holds speed within about .3-.5 MPH. It took some messing with KV settings and the like. PP tech service is typically top notch, have you called them and discussed ? My fear is the paddle wheel is not in "clean water" as mine has never been that far off even at default settings.

I would call them up and see what they say.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 30, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've got a 2-year old email thread with them. They've given me KDW and NN settings to try and it hasn't made much difference. The hull is perfectly smooth where the paddlewheel is located, nothing between it and the bow at all, and no strakes or anything near it. I've checked the speedo v. GPS and it is dead-on. But, for whatever reason, it just doesn't work well in speed mode.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of you turds have anything else to add? Smile
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to control the speed manually with the throttle to within +/- .3 mph? I have a 22ft V drive with a 4.0 V8. I cannot control the speed adequately without PP. My boat is heavier and has less power than yours, PP holds speed within that range even with 2k of weight in the boat and lots of people. The system requires extreme numbers to do that. I use very low NN numbers to read the speed more frequently and very high KDW numbers to make large throttle moves to control the speed.

If you go too far outside a given range with a number, the boat will respond the same way, bad control and surging.

You need to adjust your NN and KDW. I'm sorry for you that you haven't gotten it right yet.

Boost Deuce
Criminal
Criminal

City: Fort Collins

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if try to take it to a boat dealer that might be good with it and see if they can fix it. Have Perfectpass pay for the fixing.

I use PP Wakeboard Pro on a Rinker 212 with the 350 mag and have no problems at all. It might go over by .2 or .3 mph on the initial set, but it corrects quickly and holds speed after that.
I couldn't be happier with it.

MTVFiremedic

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: stargazer Reply with quote

or... you could upgrade to a REAL wakeboard boat... that would work best.

sorry, couldn't resist.

MOOMBA Mobius LSV wakeboard boat w/ Perfect pass WB pro...worked great outa the box w. self install and works when i have 2500lbs of water or no water at all...

ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really dug up a year old thread to add that?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTVFiremedic, thanks for the helpful info. Rather than spending a few hundred bucks to do EXACTLY what I want, instead I'll just run out and get a different boat.

Nothing like hunting rabbits with RPGs, I say.

Rolling Eyes

smokinheels10
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575, since this thread has been resurrected from the dead, I was wondering if you got the problem fixed? Did you end up upgrading or was someone finally able to help you get your original one to work right?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done a thing about it. We had a death in the family so we didn't even get to our lake house over Memorial Day weekend. From what little I do know, I need to get in touch with PP and try a new paddlewheel assembly first.

If that doesn't work I'll wait til next offseason and upgrade then. I've pretty much blown my 2010 budget for boat accessories.

Ridesteady

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pet575 - did you ever get the WB Pro working well or did you upgrade to Stargazer?

If you're still having problems, I'd be happy to try and help. I have quite a bit of experience with various speed controls.

Thanks,
Justin Muessig
CEO, Hydrophase LLC
www.hydrophase.com

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. My boating season ended on July 4th weekend. Since that time, PP has sent me a replacement paddlewheel assembly. Have not yet installed it and tested it.
nauticlaugic

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Cruise Control Surging Reply with quote

PET575

Maybe this will help, check this link out:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?//topic/27961-my-cruise-control-surging-is-fixed/

-Cary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: