Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Tired of teak!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gghost
Criminal
Criminal

City: hamilton

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Tired of teak! Reply with quote

I am sick of dealing with my teak platform it looks like hell and is slippery I would love to either get a fiberglass one or fiberglass mine or spray mine with a bed liner material. Problem is I don't think anything would ever stick to the teak since it is so naturally oily.so do you guys have any ideas for me anyone know if I can get a fiberglass one like they have on new boats. Or any ideas how to get bed liner to stick. My last option may be building one out of treated wood then spraying it but that would be a lot of work with wood working tools I don't have to build a nice one. My boat is a 2001 malibu vlx the teak is also wearing so bad that the screws are starting to stick through the top.
brichter14
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Www.seadek.com
gghost
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks interesting but just does not appeal to me as much as a spray on bedliner i have seen where people have put rhino liner or line x on their teaks with good results looks like it may not be to oily. I am going to call rhino line tomorrow.
McNasty
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law had rhino liner on his teak swim deck, and it was horrible. Its was very slippery and I don't think it looked that gret. Just my .02
Dredd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Wichita

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really can't imagine how bed liner would look very good.

You might look into King StarBoard.
http://www.marineplasticfab.com/teak-replacement.html
gghost
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the guy from rhino liner told me the liner would eventually make the teak rot . So does anyone have an idea where I can get a fiberglass deck maybe a used one? I am sure a new one from the factory is well over a thousand dollars
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id just sand it down a little and re-oil it. the platform on my 82 SN has the nails showing in some places, but i just sand down a bit and re-oil every other year
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
id just sand it down a little and re-oil it. the platform on my 82 SN has the nails showing in some places, but i just sand down a bit and re-oil every other year

This. Rhino-lining is ghetto, fiberglass is too pricey, teak has a great look if maintained properly.

McNasty
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teak, it looks so much better than fiberglass.
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way ive found to take care of teak is to pressure wash it with the tip really close, then let it sit and dry out a few days, then sand any spots that need it, then oil it down and let each coat soak in before the next coat. Dont rhino line it, itll be too slick when wet.
coricluster

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used awlgrip on another boat of mine with a platform. powerwash and bleach and let dry for a few days then sand real good and paint. it held up for 3 seasons before needing to be redone, you can also put non skid in the paint
coricluster

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used awlgrip on another boat of mine with a platform. powerwash and bleach and let dry for a few days then sand real good and paint. it held up for 3 seasons before needing to be redone, you can also put non skid in the paint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: