Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Recommendations for a newbie over 200 lbs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big House Football

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a newbie over 200 lbs Reply with quote

Have done plenty of waterskiing and kneeboarding. 6'3" 232 and a newbie to boarding. Bought a CWB 146. Can not get up on it. Need advice. Plowing a ton of water.
Benji Mac

City: Okinawa, Japan

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

board seems big enough. I know when i was starting out, i would try and wait too long before putting my foot back and getting my nose out of the water. You may want to trying getting up sooner and not waiting til the boat has picked up speed. Now, for me, as soon as the boat starts to pull i straighten the nose out and stand up and it picks me right up... maybe worth a shot.

Good luck and don't get frustrated
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of my buddies are over the 232 lb range and have had the same problem when starting out. They would plow a bunch of water and then pop the handle. The board is the right size for you. They don;t really make any bigger.

Some things to try. One of my larger riders asks for more speed at the start to help him out. He also puts the tip of the wakeboard almost straight up in the air.

Since you are already getting up on a waterski you already know how to let the boat pull you up so you should be able to get up just give it a little time.

Some of my larger riders have been out 2-3 times before they actually start riding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 230 and started out on a 141, so the board isn't an issue. I also come from a skiing background which I think makes it a little harder to learn to pop out of the water. Also tried the point the nose up, never worked for me.

What does work, and I come out smooth as butter. Squat like a frog on the board, keeping the whole board under the water line by an inch or 2, point your toes at the boat this will help the board plane up quicker. Chances are what you are doing is keeping the board at a 90 degree angle to the waterline, and have your toe edge sticking up out of the water, this causes the water plow effect.

If you have the board to far under the water, it'll pull you over on your face, to much sticking out, it'll jerk the rope out of your hands. Once you find that sweet spot that works for you, it'll come easy. once the board planes up, wait a second longer then you think to pull it around to riding position. Let the board side slip a little then roll that nose around and ride.

3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your boat have enough power?

I'm 6'3 and 200lbs and ride a 142. I have no problem getting up, honestly I really don't even do anything to get up.

I squat in a ball and wrap my arms around my knees and just sit there. Boat pulls me on top of the water and then I stand up. Watch a couple youtube videos, that might help see what you need to do.

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
Big House Football

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: I appreciate the input and advice....the boat is not an Reply with quote

issue.........Malibu Skier.

All of the youtube videos and articles I have read for advice indicate to tuck knees into chest and place bent knees between elbows. Having trouble getting narrow enough. Slid bindings to the most narrow setting and still difficult to get knees between elbows.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu skier should still be fine. That boat has enough horse power to pull multiple people at the same time.

I do recommend the big guys to pull the knees up as far as they can. If you struggle a number of times your arms will be really tired so your first few attempts will be your best.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: I appreciate the input and advice....the boat is not an Reply with quote

Quote:
All of the youtube videos and articles I have read for advice indicate to tuck knees into chest and place bent knees between elbows. Having trouble getting narrow enough. Slid bindings to the most narrow setting and still difficult to get knees between elbows.

I'm not as heavy as you but I had all of the same problems. Most of it came from what JeffreyCH mentioned. I was concentrating too much on all of the stuff I'd heard and read and seen on the internet and was digging my heels into the water. Caused the board to pretty much be perpendicular to the water and I plowed water like hell until the handle would pop out of my hands. I was also trying to stand up and pull against the rope in the way that I was taught to get up on a slalom ski.

It doesn't really matter where your knees/elbows are. What matters is that you "squat like a frog" and let the force of the boat pulling you push your heels to your butt. Then, use your toes to control the angle of the board so that you aren't perpendicular but also don't have the board so flat that it digs into the water and dumps you face-first into the water.

You're not as far away as you think so hang in there. Biggest key to make everything easier is to angle that board so you stop plowing so much water.

Big House Football

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Traded my 89 Malibu for an 05 Moomba today. Looking forward to using the advice all of you provided and hopefully be wakeboarding. Thanks again. Very Happy
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it all works out. Does your new boat have a tower? I would assume it does, that will make getting out of the water much easier. Having the tow point raised up made a big difference with everyone that I ride with.
OperationROL
Criminal
Criminal

City: Rockford

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with your size and the size of the board. This is just a matter of getting that 1 more thing adjusted and you will be right up there. For me, it was the arms. Since everyone told me not to use my arms, I didn't. I let the rope come out of my arms too easily and did not resist at all. Someone finally told me that I needed to hold on and resist, but don't pull myself up. Once I got that, I popped right up.

One of the things that I think may help with your plowing problem is getting use to the feeling of being pulled first. You can have someone pull you at no wake speed for the first 5 seconds before going for it. That may give you enough of the feel to take it the distance.

Good luck!
Big House Football

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to Jeffrey CH. Yep....the Moomba has a tower. Glad to hear that the height of the tow from the tower may make it easier to pop out of the water.

Another factor.....I was using 75 ft of rope. I have since read that a shorter line is more appropriate for a wake board and may make it easier to pop out. What line length to you experts recommend? 60 ft? Will I notice a difference using a shorter line?

Again, I appreciate the advice from all of you. The water is South Carolina is almost warm enough to begin the ski season. Cool
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get your rope length look for the sweet spot in your wake. Look for nice shape in the wake where it's at it's biggest before the lip washes away. Adjust rope to that spot. I was riding at 60' when I was pulling off the ski hook on the back, and put 5' back in after I installed the tower.
cmurr

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with it bro. I'm 6'7" 270 lbs and your board is bigger than mine...

It took me a while to get the technique down, but I have gotten up every time for about three years now.

Keep at it, and let the boat do the work.
jbcs16
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get up at all the first day I tried to wakeboard. I watched a few videos and one of them said to get into position like a baseball catcher when getting up. This felt natural to me since I was a catcher for 4 years in college. Now I just squat and hold on and the board rolls up on top of the water so I can stand up. Got up the first try on the 2nd day wakeboarding and it seemed easy after that.
Obsessed
Criminal
Criminal

City: Bahrain

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 2 days to get up on a wakeboard, im about 235 lbs. But weight really has nothing to do with it, even board size doesn't hold you back much from getting up in my opinion.

I say its all to do with the angle of the board, and balance of your feet.

Newbies who come out with me always get up after a couple of tries, if they dont I get in the water with them and hold the board at the right angle and they get out straight away and then usually fall over right after, but once they feel how easy it is they get it immediately after that.

What I remind them is

-Bend your knees as much as possible, your but should touch the board.
-Your toes should automatically tilt forward if your bending enough, but make sure your toes are tilting forward anyway.
-keep your arms out straight
-keep your hands at an equal distant from the center of the handle, this will help you keep balance on your feet
-Keep equal pressure on boat feet until you come out of water
-Once you start to come out of the water, turn the board and put pressure on back foot.
-Just keep trying, you will start to feel it, and once you get it once or twice it will become very easy.
cubbies017
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bloomfield Hills

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you got the right size board. Keep at it. I am 6'1 240 and had a hard time getting up but I kept at it and now its not an issue.
duckseatfree

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my brother (6'3 235 )up on his board with this exercise.

With him in the water I would just go at idle speed for a while. During that time I told him to bend his knees and push against the water as if he were doing a dead lift. He did this a few times to get the feeling right and at some points he would even stand up vertically going that slow...granted the water was at his chins.

The point was...he got the 'feel' of getting up by going that slow. We did this for about a min and then did a normal start....he was able to get up the 2nd time.

...next...gotta work on balance and posture....

Last edited by duckseatfree on Jun 23, 2011 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gryphon
Criminal
Criminal

City: Hamilton

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH wrote:

What does work, and I come out smooth as butter. Squat like a frog on the board, keeping the whole board under the water line by an inch or 2, point your toes at the boat this will help the board plane up quicker. Chances are what you are doing is keeping the board at a 90 degree angle to the waterline, and have your toe edge sticking up out of the water, this causes the water plow effect.

This is what worked for me 250+. I ride a 146 Trip.
Kip

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 250+ also. It took me quite a few tries to figure out. But once you figure out how to get up it will become easier than getting up on skiis. follow the advice above and you will get it very soon.

On a side note. I ride a cwb faze 141. how much better will getting a bigger board ie 144 or 146 help my riding? We dont have any shops in my area that demo boards and everybody I know has 142's or smaller boards.

Any suggestions on bigger boards in the intermediate level?
jbcs16
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to ride on a faze also. Rode it for an entire summer and part of the second. Have you tried taking the center fins off. makes it a completely different board. feels very loose and slippery, you don't realize how much you rely on the fins.....at least i didn't. I got bored on the faze and took my fins off and then had to concentrate on edging a lot more and my riding improved a lot and quickly. the faze is a very stable board to learn on and an easy ride, but it was rough landing a jump in my opinion......even small jumps.
Kip

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have 1/2 " center fiins on now which definitley makes a big difference. I am curious if a bigger board will be a lot better.
duckseatfree

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add to this...My younger brother just got up for the first time this past weekend after his 8th or 9th attempt ever! He told me that the best tip was to have the board angled out a bit...it helps plane out faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: