Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Our winch build thread....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Our winch build thread.... Reply with quote

So looks like we're starting construction this week. I figured I'd go ahead and document it in a thread here...

I don't have much to show yet, but hope to in the next couple weeks.

So far, we've acquired some 2"x2"x3/16" square steel tubing for a frame base.

and we'll be using a donor 8hp Honda engine, rescued from a life of decay under this work bench. Laughing

That's pretty much it for now. Though we're still fine tuning the final layout, we're hoping to end up with something along the lines of this:

Stay tuned....

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, good luck with the build. You'll be happy with an 8hp engine over the 6.5 a lot of people use. I've got an 8 on mine and it'll deep-water start all 215lbs of me.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, good to know because its going to need to deep water start all 230 lbs of me! Laughing

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, Shouldn't be a problem, especially on a wakeboard (you might need a little practice, but you should be able to get it). Mine can (usually) deep-start me even on a wakeskate without too much trouble.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that deep water starting me on a skate will be the ultimate test. Can't wait to get this thing going! Exclamation

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on starting the build, you'll find the frame easy with that saw, Gnar is right, deepwater start on wakeskate is all about technique, some days I got it, some days I don't
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we're going to go with 600' of line, at least initially, to cut costs.

Any opinions on this? Its the best price I've found so far....
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4690{15}64

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do some research but I know there's a marine store online that is really cheap for some great line but I can't remember how it was in comparison to that.

600' will be PLENTY, more than you think. I originally bought 1000' and sold 400 of it because I never used it. with 600' I've never had any problems, even on the beach.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnar is referring to:

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9374&idcategory=0

when you buy a spool of 600' it's only $84, or .14 per foot, same stuff boardstop is selling for alot less, that being said, I like the rope but many times we winch in areas where the rope is getting dragged around concrete and other surfaces tough on rope, so I get 600' spools of $20 harbor freight rope, they last about 18 months and are far cheaper to replace

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-ft-x-1-4-quarter-inch-polypropylene-rope-47836.html

I don't know where the hell they come up with 113 lb working load, my winch and that rope have deep water started a 300 lb dude many times

Last edited by supermanotorious on Mar 16, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermanotorious,

Wow, I like the $20 price but how is it to ride? Is there a lot of stretch? I'll admit, I've ridden boats and cables, even been dragged by an SUV, but this will be my first winch ride.

Even $84 is perfectly reasonable for 600 ft of non-stretch line at Harbor Freight.

By the way, got a lot done on the winch today. The frame is laid out. Got pics but unfortunately I have to go to dinner now. I'll post them as soon as I can. Cool

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are a few pics. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but I didn't have my camera with me. Crying or Very sad

Here's where the magic happens

Cutting lengths of steel for the frame

Frame base laid out

Test fitting the hitch receiver. Note the sweet custom mounted board rack in cased you missed it before...

Tacking on the uprights

Here's how we finished it for today. Note the gussets reinforcing the uprights.

Test fit on an old Chevy shortbed in the shop. CHEEZE! (NOTE: The front of the truck was up on a lift that's why the winch frame is not level.)

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is NO stretch to it, I have some of the pickiest riders and they say it's no different than any "pro" line they've ever winched with, that's the only 600' rope at HF, the amsteel is thru Seattle Marine

HHI Dave wrote:
supermanotorious,

Wow, I like the $20 price but how is it to ride? Is there a lot of stretch? I'll admit, I've ridden boats and cables, even been dragged by an SUV, but this will be my first winch ride.

Even $84 is perfectly reasonable for 600 ft of non-stretch line at Harbor Freight.

By the way, got a lot done on the winch today. The frame is laid out. Got pics but unfortunately I have to go to dinner now. I'll post them as soon as I can. Cool

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're headed to HF to pick up a few things today. We'll see if they have that line in stock. Cool

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had a pretty productive day today. Got back from Harbor Freight and Lowes with quite a few goodies. We also stopped and picked up the motor along the way.

Honda 8hp with 600 ft of polypropylene line (what a bargain at $17.99!) Good news is, after replacing a missing part on the carburetor, the engine fired up on the 3rd pull!

We went ahead and welded a solid 5/8" axle to the bottom of the frame and installed the 10" tires from HF ($5.99 ea.)

For the spool, we canabalized an old airhose reel (like the one in the next picture) that was laying out back then utilized some 1/2" threaded studs and sleeves cut to length and fastened with stainless nuts and lock washers.

For the axle we used a 3/4" galvanized steel tube with galvanized floor flanges. Over all, its feels solid as a rock but its not super heavy either. We'll see how it works.

And just a teaser pic of what its eventually going to look like. The motor is just resting there and I'm holding the spool, but you get the idea...

Next we are going to work on getting the drivetrain set up. We'll be picking up some axle bearings (probably at Advance Auto) and a CC from a local small engine shop. Hope to have this thing up and riding very soon! Stay tuned!

NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw the winch, whose lambo is that Shocked
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NKCrider wrote:

Didn't think anyone would notice it parked next to my sweet Jeep. Laughing

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold off on the CC, I implore you to get a TAV (Bulletlines), you'll be happy you did, even if you get the CC you'll eventually get the TAV so save some money, you have some extra anyway from the savings on your line Very Happy
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave wrote:
NKCrider wrote:

Didn't think anyone would notice it parked next to my sweet Jeep. Laughing

you didnt answer my question Laughing

good lookin build so far man, wish i had the time/equipment to build a winch ive seen some great spots around here lately

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermanotorious, what are the pros and cons of the CC vs. the TAV? We're definitely trying to build this winch on a budget but obviously we still want it to perform. Fill me in.

NKCrider, my buddy Bev (pronounced BEEV) owns and operates Bluffton Automotive/Bev Tech Performance. We're building the winch at his shop. The Lambo belongs to one of his regular customers. Its a 2004 V10 AWD Gallardo. We actually drove it over to the warehouse the day we went to pick out the steel for the winch frame. Laughing

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, The TAV will be easier on the engine, allow for smoother starts, be easier on the driver and rider, and will help with deep-water starts.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnar is right, since the TAV is a variable transmission it will detect load and adjust gearing accordingly, this means for deepwater start it will provide more torque to pull the rider thru the water, as the rider planes and the load is less the TAV will gear for more speed, the CC simply allows the engine to idle without the winch spooling but you'll only get the speed and torque the engine offers
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, getting some work done on the winch today. Getting the bearings mounted for the spool and might get the fairlead mounts underway.

A couple of quick questions regarding the TAV. Our 8 HP Honda motor has a 1" shaft. Looking at the TAV's online I see two available to fit that shaft, one with 10 teeth, the other with 12 teeth. We assume that the 10 tooth will provide more OOMPH for takeoff on deepwater starts. Is this correct?

Secondly, what size sprocket (# of teeth) do you guys recommend for the spool? We have access to several sizes thanks to a bunch of spare go kart parts, but a recommended starting point would be a big help.

Thanks for all of the input so far. More pics to follow soon and hopefully some riding video in the next couple weeks.... Cool

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, You can go with either the 10 or the 12, the most important part is the ratio of the sprocket on the spool to the one on the TAV. You'll want to go for a 6 to 1 ratio (spool to TAV), that seems to be the magic number for almost everyone as a right mix of torque and speed. For example:

72 tooth on the spool if you have a 12 on the TAV
60 tooth on the spool if you have a 10 on the TAV

I would recommend getting one that fits a #40/41 chain vs a #35. You can get away with a #35 but I've seen more problems with those (broken chains, chains falling off, etc). I've NEVER had a problem with my #40, solid as a rock.

In addition to all of that, with a 6 to 1 ratio you'll need about a 7" inner diameter on the spool. I made an adjustable spool because depending on how the motor runs/your gearing, you may need to adjust that anywhere between 6" and 8" to get things dialed in right.

I forget which TAV I have on my winch right now, I'll have to check. But remember the 6 to 1 ratio and you're golden.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, thanks for the quick response. I guess we'll go with the 10 tooth TAV with the #40/41 chain.

Looks like we built our spool with about a 8.5" I.D. and we have a 64 tooth spool sprocket handy...any input on this?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Got the bearings mounted. We're pretty much at a stopping point until we get the TAV in.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you may be ok with that setup. I'd worry about the inner diameter of the spool being a bit big and losing some torque because of it but having that 64-tooth instead of a 60-tooth sprocket might help a little (very little, but sometimes that's all it takes!). I would say do a few test-runs with everything as-is and if you're not getting enough torque to deep-water start/get up to speed, fiddle with things a little until it's right. I spent a couple days dialing my winch in once I put everything together the first time.

Once you get to the testing phase, adjusting the throttle/removing the governer on your motor can help a lot, you can work winch motors a little harder than you can in a go-kart or something since the pulls are so short and it's not too stressful for the motor.

Remember when fine-tuning, you're pretty much always going to be trading speed for torque, so you'll have to balance the two.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, what about a fairlead, you can figure out a mount for one of those while you're waiting to get the TAV.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. We pretty much realized that there was going to be a good bit of fine tuning once it was built. Fortunately there's a pond very near the shop that we can use for R&D.

I've got a fairlead, hopefully the mounts will get fabbed up soon.

Dante2004

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave wrote:
Ok, here are a few pics. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but I didn't have my camera with me. Crying or Very sad

Here's where the magic happens

Subtle I have a lambo brag thread...

Laughing

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dante2004 wrote:
Subtle I have a lambo brag thread...

Laughing

Its not my Lambo. Laughing

Anyway, a quick update. Not a whole lot to report at this point. We have ordered the TAV. Went with the 10t 40/41 setup. It should be here (hopefully) by Monday. Also, went ahead and ordered the #40 roller chain which arrived yesterday.

Hopefully we can get this thing finished and tested in the next week.

In other news, my USCG Merchant Mariner's OUPV License has finished the approval process and is shipping as we speak. I have given my notice at work and Hilton Head Wake Sports will be up and running by May 1st.

Stay tuned....

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, here's a tip for your chain, ACE hardware has connecting links including offset links the virtually remove the need for engine slide
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This one came with a connecting link. Not sure about the offsets but we allowed ourselves some wiggle room as far as mounting the engine on the frame. Good tip though if we need it. Cool

supremelandingmaster

City: Kingston

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, Good luck! Driving with your winch in tow to the testing ground is one of the most exciting things ever.
cheesewizz
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup awsome job looks great cant wait to here the good news
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Winching All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: