Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Backroll/mexican backroll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liveitup

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Backroll/mexican backroll Reply with quote

Hey guys! Yesterday I tried my first invert. Definitely feeling it today. Smile I sometimes did a backroll and others did a mexican backroll, whatever came out of the trick, not quite sure how to tell the difference in the air...
I got the rotation down most of the tries but I never rode out of them. I landed flat with the handle in my hand but I guess I was too far down on the water, too far back on my heels, or rotated too much and was on the back of the board. How do I fix it so I can ride it out?? I'm SOOO close, got to get it! Very Happy
Also, had a littleee trouble spotting my landing on the water, it all looks the same... Any tips??? THANKS!!!
savage3221
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the difference between a mexi roll and a pure roll is very little, it is only the way that you initiate the rotation off of the wake. A simple head turn can change the way that you take off. Mexi rolls will be one that is more like you are putting your head between your legs, and a regular roll is more like putting your shoulder towards the tail of your board.

In terms of helping with landings, be sure to take off in a position that you are good to land in. You will land in almost that exact body position.

Also, I found that if you are "hucking" the flip, as in throwing yourself into it in order to get it to go, versus using a progressive edge (start slow, edge faster and faster as you get to the wake) to let the rope do most of the work for you, the landings tend to me more abrupt and less controlled.

liveitup

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that helps a lot! I think I huck it sometimes to try to get over. I should just pull the rope to my hip, tuck/kick my legs over and let the rope do the rest, right?

Remembering the progessive edge will help. I edge in hard, but I think I'm too impatient at times and don't wait for the rope to tighten all the way and the boat to start pulling me.

Almost every attempt I got all the way around, was flat on the water, with the rope in my hand but I still ate it. I feel like I was just still tucked and had no control really. I was hitting with my legs still at my chest almost. Should I be trying to get some more air to give myself time to untuck? How do I solve that? Right now, my friends said my head was about 2 1/2-3 feet off the water in my rotation. I know a video would help but I don't have one, sorry! Thanks for all the tips!!
savage3221
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that description I would say that it sounds like you're only missing a good progressive cut for the trick. In theory, one should be able to do a back roll from about 5 feet away from the wake. This is because it really just forces you to accelerate quickly in order to even clear the wake, but at the same time offers a super progressive cut that loads the line, and makes the trick move more upward than outward. If this happens, then your rotation will be slower, higher, and easier to land/spot the landing.

So when you cut out for your roll, turn into the wake gently, and steadily accelerate all the way up to the very top of the wake. Fastest part of your cut at the very top. This should make the trick a much easier, floaty invert. Everything else you're doing sounds like you know what to do, so good luck with it, and let us know how it goes!

liveitup

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet, thanks so much!!! Hopefully I can get out this weekend and try it out!
jcarrick

City: Bend

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveitup,
I'm having the exact same problem with my backroll! I've probably landed it 10 times but never road away. It's sooo frustrating!
The instruction from savage sounds right on. I'll be trying these tips next weekend for sure! I can't wait to land this Very Happy
liveitup

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcarrick,

DUDE!!! I know!!!! It's sooo frustrating to be RIGHT there and just not be able to complete it. But we're so close!! I haven't had a chance to put his advice in action, but hopefully this weekend I can. Let me know when you get it and what helped. I'll do the same. Good luck!! You'll get it!
liveitup

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: I still haven't landed it!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have tried this mexican backroll/normal back multiple times. At this point, I really just want to ride out my invert. I have "landed" it so many time but am either not centered enough or already too low down to get the stability to ride it out. What can I do?? I have attached some pictures to let you see something I might be doing wrong at times. I can't remember exactly what happened in each of the pics or if I "landed" them... just tried a few times in a row. Thanks for any advice!!! Can't wait for the season to open back up! (Still pretty cold where I am)

invert_3.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  8.52 KB
 Viewed:  13214 Time(s)

invert_2.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  8.18 KB

invert_1.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  8.49 KB

neverwinter
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it definitely looks like from that first and 2nd picture that you are trying to huck the trick instead of using the wake to rotate you. the only reason I say that is because of your height from the water while in the air which tells me you are probably leaving the wake early and trying to throw your body into the trick.

backrolls, like savage said just require a progressive edge, you don't need to throw the trick. the flip is initiated from you edging through the wake creating that pressure that will push the board out from underneath you. remember to look over your shoulder and transfer your weight to your back foot as you edge up through the top of the wake. 2 other things to remember...#1) landed softly(bend your knees! #2) try and land in the direction you took off..don't follow the boat..this is probably the #1 cause of people slipping out or over rotating.
liveitup

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!! Next time I am out, I will definitely try this. Everything you said seems pretty spot on and I have never thought to lean back on my back foot. Thanks!
tiqueman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Parrish / Bradenton

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some others have said, I also feel its definitely a huck issue. Looking at your 2nd pic, seems to me that your board position is way out of place compared to where your head and shoulders are. Your certainly trying to throw it way too hard. Just be sure to ride all the way up the wake. Turn your head and look over your left shoulder, almost like your going to put your chin on your shoulder and try and keep both hands on the handle. Often Ive found that when you do let go with your back hand 1 or 2 things usually happens. 1, almost always does it become a mexi roll, 2, if you let go too early, you lose the help and rotation from the rope and it causes you to have to huck it.

Check out how Im leaving the wake here. Notice Im not throwing my head down. Think of it like this, you cant go up and get big air if as soon as you leave the wake you throw part of your body, in this case head, straight back down. Chin to your shoulder and kinda push your side to the sky.

Hope this helped a bit more

PS This shot is actually out of a cell phone movie clip of a roll to revert, but the very beginning looks just like a roll.

rr1.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  67.63 KB
 Viewed:  13034 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: