Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Speaker help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Dodge City

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Speaker help Reply with quote

I'm looking for good speakers on the semi cheap. There seem to be some decent speaker and amp package deals on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with the infinity 6100ms? I really want the talkback feature and the only other way besides this that i've seen is to buy a wetsounds eq for $300 and thats not going to work. Any ideas? Heres a link to the package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-6100m-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-MARINE-AUDIO-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ280584022186QQcategoryZ168106QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7294114750083674763
masscj7

City: Holyoke

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmock,
I've been in the car audio realm for over ten years, no sure if it crosses over a 100%, but I've alot of experience with Infinity product and others from Harman industries. Infinity has always been very accurate and precise, their tweeter technology is quite good and at times some people have often found them overly bright due to their accuracy, but what I have seen is that Infinity speakers do not tend to hold up as well as others if used for more severe volume applications. From either material failure on the cones and voice coils, to just straight up distortion and poor sound quality at higer volumes. Low to moderate listening applications seems to be their bread and butter, super clean sound, crisp, and affordable. This is my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth, maybe look into getting the amp with the mic input and then a different pair of speakers. I think the Kicker ones are in the same price range and in talking to a couple of people that have heard them, heard they scream and they are within the money that you're looking at with the Infinitys. But significantly less than getting into the WetSounds line up. Good luck.
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I'm wondering how distorted the input signal on the amp would be if I were to have a normal audio input and the mic input as rcas.
masscj7

City: Holyoke

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, must head units output on the rca level anywhere between 2volts on lowerend head units and 5 volts on better head units, I'm not sure if a mike input would be regulated, or if it spikes up and done with the tonal changes as you speak. Not sure why the WS420 from WetSounds wouldn't work for you, but that is probably the best piece out there for the application you are looking to do, never mind the other added features, dual EQs, dual volume controls, separate subwoofer gain control, etc
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I eventually plan on upgrading to some better quality stuff, such as that, but I may just have to save a litlle more $$$
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmock50, You can plug in any MP3 player or iPod striaght into the WS420 and forget a head unit. That should save you some change. The WS420 sends a lovely strong and clean signal (5V) to the amp(s).

I regularly twin the Kicker ZXM350.4 to some Kicker KMT6 tower speakers and the WS420... it's a great package. If you can afford to I'd get a bigger amp but that will run some tower speakers and 2-4 in boat speakers fine.

bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes everything better being that a cheap hu wouldn't have 5v preouts. I did a quick search and you can pick up a fosgate p400.4 for ~190ish a couple places so that may be the route to go with the refurb km6500.2s. So with speaker cans, speakers, amp, and eq, I'm looking at ~900. Not bad at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: