Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2011 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: 2011 NCAA Football Thread Reply with quote

It's letter of intent day in just a couple of hours. Sark has been closing fast to round out his best class yet. He's nailed every blue chip in the state and hopefully has a couple of suprises tomorrow. [/list]
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks class = Best Ever.

We will see what that means in a few years, right?

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!! IT'S SIGNING DAY IT'S SIGNING DAY IT'S SIGNING DAY!!!

today's like christmas for me - easily a top 10 day of the year for college football dorks. Mr. Green

aggy grabbed the best player in their class last night head to head vs texas. good thing too, because the rest of that class is hurting. i'm really surprised that they couldn't build on last year's class and this year's on field success.

i'm pumped to watch all the lois come in for texas state. for the first time, they have a really good class and i'm excited about the future there!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
I can't believe texas basically held together their entire class after all that coaching turnover/drama. Still have a strong brand despite last season. It's probably hurt 2012 recruiting a bit and if they don't get it turned around next year, it could damage the brand.

truly a miracle and a testament to the loyalty mack's assitants showed to him. if you only knew HALF of the bs that went on in terms of keeping some coaches until certain other things happened, you'd be that much more impressed. hell, it's STILL going on - bruce chambers is going to walk after today and will be replaced by tim brewster.

Wakebrad wrote:
Yep, the 2011 class for A&M is less than stellar, but it's a pretty good defensive class. Alexander pick-up yesterday was huge. Best DE in the state and Mack rolled out the red carpet.

#2, behind cedric reed. still a huge pickup for you.

i wouldn't call it a "pretty good" defensive class w/ only one 4* (although i think alexander should be a 4*) and only two dl. i'd call it more of a "thank god it wasn't worse" class, especially w/ the late defections. i like the size of your db class - all bigger guys, but your lb class is freakin tiny - only one kid over 205lbs.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy from the 2011 thread jt's referring to:

Yep, the 2011 class for A&M is less than stellar, but it's a pretty good defensive class. Alexander pick-up yesterday was huge. Best DE in the state and Mack rolled out the red carpet. Then we picked up 2 more Brenham kids from 2012 last night. The 4 2012 studs out of Brenham have always talked about trying to play together, and the last 2, Tim Cole and Malcom Brown, were close to pulling the trigger, but just got offers from the Trojans, and wanted to play things out a bit longer.

There are a couple things I just don't understand about the class though, after our running success, and about 6 great RBs in 2011, we couldn't sign any of them. Not that it really matters until next year, but it's odd. Also, with the strength of our WR play this last season, we couldn't land any of the top WRs in Texas. We still lack an ILB, and whiffed on a lot of studs. Dat was expected to be a great recruiter, but ended up having both of his kids decommit.

2012 is off to a much better start though, where the new defensive staff and new WR coach (all new last year) have a full term to recruit.

I can't believe texas basically held together their entire class after all that coaching turnover/drama. Still have a strong brand despite last season. It's probably hurt 2012 recruiting a bit and if they don't get it turned around next year, it could damage the brand.

tech's class is far better than anything Leach brought in, but not so great on the defensive side of the ball - the area Tubs should excel. Won a few head-to-heads with A&M for the first time in a long time. The future is looking better for them, with Tubs and SEC recruiting tactics. Almost got Roberson out of Florida by hiring his uncle, but to no avail. I still see quite a few parallels to Fran's tenure at A&M.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#2, behind cedric reed. still a huge pickup for you.

i wouldn't call it a "pretty good" defensive class w/ only one 4* (although i think alexander should be a 4*) and only two dl. i'd call it more of a "thank god it wasn't worse" class, especially w/ the late defections. i like the size of your db class - all bigger guys, but your lb class is freakin tiny - only one kid over 205lbs.

Reed looked better than Alexander his junior year, but senior year Alexander was better.

Rivals is way off on their star rankings this year. Johnny Manziel is a Parade All American and only a 3 star? Seriously a joke. Shawn Ward gets offers from around the country including Florida, and he's only a 3 Star? In a 4-3 he's misplaced, but he's the perfect Von Miller replacement at the Joker OLB in a 3-4. Kids first step is lightning quick. LeMarc Strahan is a BEAST at 6'4 365. He's that monster NG you're looking for in a 3-4. Shayvion Hatten should easily be a 4* kid, and we're recruiting him at DE.

WHOA, breaking news Floyd Raven signs with A&M! Kid is a baller. SEC quality corner right there. Change that, the defensive class just got bumped up from pretty good to damn solid. If only Dat could have kept Willingham's commit (top recruit out of CO) it would have addressed all of our needs.

The issue with Rivals is they know who they're selling to. It's why as soon as a kid commits to a texas, Florida, Alabama, USC, etc, they're almost always bumped up a star in the next ranking, and when they commit elsewhere, they're often times lowered. Also, with TexAgs taking the majority of the subscription sales, they have no incentive to bump us up.

We also grabbed the best kicker in the country and a top 5 punter - which is big because our ST SUCKED last year. Averaged like 30 yards a punt and consistently kicked off to the 10-15 yard line.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha wow, so Raven's mom faxed in an LOI to Ole Miss, and FORGED his signature. Raven says F that and sends it to A&M. Crazy. Wonder if his mom will get in trouble for this. Apparently he just moved back in with her.
boardordie
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Piqua/Ohio

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, Based on the new "Cam Newton Amendment" to the NCAA rules and regulations... nothing will happen to the student or the parent since the student obviously didn't have any idea what their parent was doing.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, we'll just agree to disagree on well....just about everything you just posted! today is the day for everyone to be happy about their haul, and if you're happy w/ that class, that's all that matters.

that raven saga is crazy!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardordie, haha exactly.

Also in NCAA related BS rule news:

Quote:
NCAA rules prohibit fans from contacting prospective student-athletes. This includes interactions on facebook and twitter

http://twitter.com/UTCompliance/status/32448985947971584

The NCAA needs to get it's head out of it's ass, start enforcing the rules that matter, and removing the rules that are impossible to enforce, and thus going to be applied extremely selectively.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wakebrad, we'll just agree to disagree on well....just about everything you just posted! today is the day for everyone to be happy about their haul, and if you're happy w/ that class, that's all that matters.

We'll see how it plays out on the field Wink I'm happy with it on everything but ILB, WR, and RB. Of course 2012 is looking like it should be a monster year for us.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm a LITTLE bit excited about the Texas State class today! This is easily the best class in the history of the school, and Fran was hired less than a month ago. To pull this level of talent in such a short amount of time gets me excited for the future as we head into FBS and the WAC.

2011 Texas State Bobcat Recruiting Class

OFFENSE:
RB - Tim Gay - Rivals 2*, Scout 2*
5'10" 190lbs - Houston Chavez
20-5A All District
20-5A Offensive MVP
Also offered by Nevada, Miami (OH) and Colorado State.

RB - Chris Nutall - Rivals 2*
5'8" 183lbs - A&M Consolidated
Also offered by New Mexico and New Mexico State.

WR - Jafus Gaines - Rivals 3*, ESPN 3*, Scout 3*
5'11" 165lbs - Houston Chavez
20-5A All District
Also offered by Akansas, Baylor, Colorado, Rice, Stanford, Memphis and Houston (originally commited to UH).

WR - Brad Miller - ESPN 2*, Scout 2*
6'5" 215lbs - Sealy (transferring from University of New Mexico)
3x 24-3A All District
Also offered by Boise State and Baylor (2009).

WR - Justin Bean - Rivals 2*, Scout 2*
6'2" 195lbs - Itawamba CC
Originally commited to Kentucky (both out of HS, and this summer).

WR - Shaun Rutherford
5'11" 192 - Blinn JC
1st Team All Conference SWJCFC, 2010

TE - Chase Harper - Rivals 3*, Scout 3*
6'5" 251lbs - Navarro JC
Commited to Nebraska out of HS, Miami offered this year, but his grades weren't good enough to transfer.

TE - Kyle Doll
6'4" 215lbs - Blinn JC

C - Matt Freeman - Scout 2*
6'1" 253lbs - Abilene Cooper
1st Team 5A All State - AP
2nd Team USA Today All USA

OT - Anthony Evans
6'3" 285lbs - Abilene Cooper
3-5A All District

OT - Jack Costello
6'4" 285lbs - The Woodlands
14-5A All District
Also offered by Navy.

OT - Mike Yoder - Rivals 2*, Scout 2*
6'5" 290lbs - Blinn JC
1st Team All Conference SWJCFC, 2010
Also offered by New Mexico.

OG - Zach Crawford - Scout 2*
6'0" 280lbs - Round Rock Westwood
16-5A All District
2nd Team All Central Texas

C - Stephen Jacobs - Rivals 2*, Scout 2*
6'3" 250lbs - Aldine Nimitz
Also offered by Tulsa.

K - Will Johnson - ESPN 3*
6'3" 190lbs - Bryan James Earl Rudder
Chris Sailer Kicking #8 prospect in the nation

DEFENSE:
DE/OLB - Tylond Robertson - Rivals 3*, ESPN 2*, Scout 2*
6'2" 218lbs - Hempstead
14-2A All District (at both TE and DE)

DE/OLB - Keishe Wilcox
6'2" 215lbs - League City Clear Springs
3x 24-5A All District

DT - Samuel Mayes
6'0" 275lbs - Spring DeKaney
13-5A All District

DT - Darius Hood
6'0" 257lbs - Plano East
2nd Team All DFW 2010
8-5A All District 2009

LB - Josh Robinson
5'11" 235lbs - Abilene Cooper
1st Team 5A All State - AP

S - Jarvis Walker - Rivals 3*, Scout 3*
6'2" 212 - Metarie, LA (transferring from University of Kentucky)

DB - David Mims - Rivals 2*, ESPN 3*
5'10" 175lbs - Daingerfield
8-2A All District 2009 (injured 2010)
Also offered by Rice.

DB - Josh Medford
6'0" 184lbs - Henderson
3A All State Honorable Mention
Played QB, RB, FB, WR on offense; LB, S, DE, NG on defense.

S - Jeremy Dickey
6'0" 190lbs - New Caney (transferring from Tarleton State)
18-4A All District (QB and P)

Scout
3 - 3* Recruits
8 - 2* Recruits

ESPN
3 - 3* Recruits
2 - 2* Recruits

Rivals
4 - 3* Recruits
6 - 2* Recruits

Best Rating For Each
6 - 3* Recruits
8 - 2* Recruits

There is still a chance one or both of the following will sign w/ the Bobcats in the near future:

QB - Deauntre Smiley - Rivals 3*
6'2" 205lbs - Lufkin
Also offered by Kansas St and UTEP, grades could decide between TX ST and Tyler JC.

FS/LB - Tommie Robins - Rivals 3*
6'1" 216lbs - Pflugerville Hendrickson
Waiting to get SAT scores back to see if he qualifies.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

City: The Cats in spanish

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, that class has to be ranked higher than Colorado, UCLA and WSU Shocked
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, looks pretty good, dude.. how well do you think they will fair in the WAC?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy, considering boise, nevada, hawaii and fresno state are leaving, i think we're going to contend for a title w/i a couple of years. in 2012, the wac will easily be the worst conference in fbs. it's my understanding that the ultimate goal for texas state is to get invited into conf usa, so i hope they simply keep their head down and just win, win, win so that remains a possibility.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame jt09 for renewing interest in his alma mater after the season the burnt orange Tshirt nation just endured. Any thoughts on how Mack is doing righting the ship?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate, oh, i'm still rooting for texas too! Mr. Green

mack has kicked ass over the last couple of months. like i posted the other day - to keep this recruiting class together while turning over almost the ENTIRE coaching staff, is nothing short of a miracle. mack has gone out and hired great assistant coaches who are great recruiters, or have the potential to be great (jerry gray), and he's admitted that he let himself act like a little bitch and pouted about the way the nc game w/ bama went down.

personally, i'm glad last season happened. this was a long time coming and there was no way to get rid of a lot of the dead weight on the coaching staff w/o a disaster of a season.

here's who mack has on staff now:

Co-OC: Bryan Harsin from Boise St. No more bullshlt side to side offense. very excited to see what harsin can do w/ the bsu playbook/mentality and the level of talent on the 40.

Co-OC/RB: Major Applewhite. One of the 2 holdovers from old regime. Incredible recruiter. Was instrumental in keeping the class together. Just relentless w/ the recruits.

OL: Stacy Searels from UGA. His OLs weren't great at UGA, but from what I've read about that program, the last couple off years have been a clusterf* all around w/ the entire staff. He's already been KILLING it on the recruiting trail - dude hasn't been in Austin for a consecutive 36 hours since he signed.

WR: Darrell Wyatt from Kansas. Great evaluator and teacher - both of which Bobby Kennedy sucked at. Wyatt's resume of players he's coached up and put in the NFL is very impressive.

TE: Bruce Chambers is from the old staff, but the rumor is that he only stayed through signing day to help Mack out. He's the only one who didn't get a big raise, and the thought is that he'll leave and Tim Brewster will return to the staff. Brewster sucked as a HC, but he is a great TE coach and recruiter.

DC: Manny Diaz from Miss St is a very aggressive playcaller, like to blitz from all over the field and is a fiery young guy. Very excited to see what he does next year, especially given the lack of depth on the DL, and lack of experience at DB.

DT: Bo Davis from Bama. Don't know a lot about him as a coach, but he doesn't need to be awesome, just take care of business.

DE: Oscar Giles is the other holdover and he's a good coach and decent recruiter. His guys have always done well, IMO.

DB: Jerry Gray comes from the Seahawks most recently, but has a long NFL history. He's a Longhorn legend, and by all accounts has all the makings of an excellent recruiter - mostly because of his unbridled enthusiasm about being a Longhorn again himself. Considered by many to be one of the best teachers in the game.

S&C: Benny Wylie from Tennessee. UT fans have been bitching about Fat Dog Madden for years, and this guy is a breat of fresh air. Built like a Greek God and actually works out w/ the players. There have been a bunch of funny stories/tweets come out from the players about how different their workouts are now. This may be the biggest impact hire of all.

here's a bit about just how fine a line mack was dealing w/ in terms of keeping the class together during all the turmoil: http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2011/02/01/gray-and-akina-backstory/
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, 2 or 3 recruiting class depending on which site you look at. I'll take it. Hopefully we're recruiting clean this time.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt, we'll just agree to disagree on well....just about everything you just posted! Wink
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green
eeven73

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully we're recruiting clean this time.

*****This is NOT sour grapes.*****Auburn beat Oregon straight up.

But, I had to chuckle when I read this. Laughing

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oregon shouldn't be laughing at other schools about dirty recruiting. you think you're just magically pulling in texas kids because you have funky uniforms?
churchy

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, now that Texas has Harsin and the BSU playbook, the only way Texas will be able to score will be with trick plays..... at least that's the only way BSU scores.

Arrow Arrow
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oregon shouldn't be laughing at other schools about dirty recruiting. you think you're just magically pulling in texas kids because you have funky uniforms?

Ding ding ding. Oregon and USC are big on the street agent game.

eeven73

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe Oregon will go down with sanctions some time in the future. But as of today they have a clean record.

Auburn on the other hand, well lets say that tiger has shown its stripes.

Sorry....I don't know why all these puns are in my head.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Arrow

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
maybe Oregon will go down with sanctions some time in the future.

they won't. of all the things the ncaa could be cleaning up, for some reason the street agent issues are at the bottom of the list. i wouldn't worry one bit about it if i were you. just don't trick yourself into thinking your program isn't paying for it's players.

instead, they keep good kids like tevin jackson and aaron ross out of school over pissant clearinghouse issues. Evil or Very Mad
Corporate
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Mamba

We wanted him bad, kid is a heck of an athlete. I do still wonder (and did when we had a chance of landing him) whether someone that is basically my size can take the pounding of P12 football.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
jt09, now that Texas has Harsin and the BSU playbook, the only way Texas will be able to score will be with trick plays..... at least that's the only way BSU scores.

Arrow Arrow

Your boys signed Jimmy Laughrea from Rocklin HS. Kid's good, great arm.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
churchy

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Your boys signed Jimmy Laughrea from Rocklin HS. Kid's good, great arm.

Ya, he looks pretty solid. Hope he can step in to replace Moore in a couple years as I haven't been too impressed with our other back ups.

I never thought I would say this, but I am also excited about Jake Van Ginkel.. ya, a kicker. Brotzman's backups are terrible and this guy looks great. Glad to see we may have a good replacement.
Corporate
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was emailed to me today by a friend, I figured at the very least eeven73 and Dragon would find it amusing given the rivalry.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting article comparing recruiting to wins

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1179868
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6106632

Quote:
TCU turns down Wisconsin rematch
"I was contacted probably a week, maybe a week and a half after the bowl game about the opportunity to play TCU in our opener," Bielema said on the show. "It was something that was going to be broadcast and made a big deal. It took me all of about point-five seconds to say, 'Yes.' "

CU athletic director Chris Del Conte on Wednesday confirmed that a third party approached him about playing the Sept. 3 season opener at Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. Del Conte also confirmed that he declined the offer.

However, he said his lack of interest in the game had little to do with a lack of excitement at the prospect of playing the Badgers again, but rather that the one-time meeting would not produce a return game in Fort Worth.

Now, had Ohio State -- whose president, E. Gordon Gee, famously had chided non-BCS conference teams such as TCU for playing schedules littered with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" -- been the Big Ten team seeking a late schedule change, Del Conte said he would have been all ears.

"Oh yeah," he said, "of course."

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2009/11/in_chasing_bcs_glory_did_tcu_m.html

Quote:
In late December of 2007, Ohio State said it had reached a deal to open the 2009 season at home against TCU. Army had recently backed out of a planned series, and the Horned Frogs, coming off an 8-5 season, were set for a one-game trip to Columbus. According to Ohio State, the game had been agreed to but the contract wasn't yet signed.

Then it never happened. A two-game series against Navy was later announced, and the Midshipmen opened this season with a 31-27 loss to the Buckeyes that went down to the final minutes.

"I'd say Ohio State really wanted it," TCU associate athletic director Jack Hesselbrock, who handles the Horned Frogs' football scheduling, said last week. "They had an opening and needed an opponent, and I think the fans would have liked it and been intrigued by it."

"And Ohio State was not interested in a return here for obvious reasons," Hesselbrock said.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: the wisky game - tcu lost a conf game w/ all the wac/mwc shuffling, and tech bailed on playing in ft. worth to take a home game w/ texas state, so the frogs had 4 open dates ooc. they already have baylor on the date espn wanted for the wisky matchup. so, replacing baylor w/ a team they already beat in the same year has zero benefit as they still have 3 open dates to fill.

and tcu needs to stop flapping it's gums a bit. they aren't going to get home and homes from the big boys unless that team is already invested in the region (see: ou, arky and lsu) or someone like uva, who sucks.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCU was smart to turn it down. They lost a lot in terms of players and coaches this year, and aren't going to be great. They should ride the easy schedule until 2012 when they land in the Big East and can tout a BCS conf win.

It's clear SOS means next to nothing in the polls, it's all about W/L.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 1 of 46

Add To Favorites

Jump to: