Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

9DROZD's winch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured id share my winch build. I had most of the parts laying around and was given an 11hp Honda. Total i spent $200 just for parts that i didnt have. I havent bought my line yet because i blew my knee out really bad this summer and havent had the urge to buy my line, plus school started back up. The build for me was extremely easy as im very mechanically inclined and have all the tools to build it, but it was time consuming because i was the only person working on it. Ive tested it pulling a 260lbs guy on a wakeskate and it didnt seem to phase it at all. Anyways the only real hard part building a winch from scratch for anyone else would be your welding skills, other than that anyone can do it.
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another photo
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another photo
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the last photo
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats a nice and grim looking winch!
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Its all flat black and the tank is flat white. I'm thinking about painting flat white emblems from stencils all over on the splash guard but haven't got around to doing it.
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it! would look sick! and paint the engine block etc flat black too!
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you pulled the 260lb dude did he start from sliding? I can't imagine he deep water started
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He deep water started out in the middle of our ski lake. Granted I only had enough line to get him up to speed and stop but it pulled him just fine.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's crazy, I am going to use a CC on my latest build so I can offer the winch for $895 and I didn't think a CC could do something like that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not to sure what the diff is between a regular and heavy duty, but mine is a heavy duty cc(I forgot to mention that above). My dad had it from an old go cart he once built. i would imagine as long as you have enough HP and the right gearing it would be fine pulling a deep start with a CC. I think(dont quote me on it) but a cc will usually do fine but most people it seems like try to use them with 6.5 hp motors and theres just not enough hp to pull a deep start. The only real difference between a CC and TAV is a CC will lock up at a certain rpm and then its a 100% on the motor where as a TAV will engage at a certain rpm and the gearing ratio changes as the motor revs up. (you get the best of both worlds, a lot of torg in the low end and then your speed in the top end.) So you can use small hp motors. My winch does weigh alot but I probably wont ever take it somewhere where i cant back my truck up. I wont ever drag it off the side of a road to use it where you would want a winch that isnt crazy heavy. So for my needs i went with a bigger motor and no tav because I will use it primarily wherever I can back my truck up to. The gearing on mine is 12 on the motor and 66 on the sprocket. Just play around and see what works for your setup.

Last edited by 9DROZD on Nov 30, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9DROZD wrote:
i would imagine as long as you have enough HP and the right gearing it would be fine pulling a deep start with a CC. I think(dont quote me on it) but a cc will usually do fine but most people it seems like try to use them with 6.5 hp motors and theres just not enough hp to pull a deep start. The only real difference between a CC and TAV is a CC will lock up at a certain rpm and then its a 100% on the motor where as a TAV will engage at a certain rpm and the gearing ratio changes as the motor revs up. (you get the best of both worlds, a lot of torg in the low end and then your speed in the top end.) So you can use small hp motors.

Exactly this. If you get enough power behind it, a CC will be just fine.

The downside to CC's is that they are a more difficult start (like stated above, once it engages, it goes 100% so it's a jerkier start than a TAV which accelerates more slowly) so if you're not strong/have a bad winch driver, it'll yank out of your hands. Also, there's more wear-and-tear on the engine/CC itself since you lose that transition you would normally get from the TAV but if you buy a quality CC it'll last you a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Winching All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: