Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

30 For 30
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: 30 For 30 Reply with quote

Anyone see the most recent one? "Two Escobars?" I've really enjoyed this series so far, its very interesting to see how sports reflect / juxtapose whats going on in the world at that time.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching them, so far I've liked about half of the ones I've seen. This one I liked. Some of that stuff was real sobering, I can't imagine the drop in your stomach when you get death threats right before a game and then score against your own team. That's some Bubb Rubb up stuff.
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it brought back memories - prime soccer time for me, I was playn year round back then.

Valderrama !!!!!! was that man....
They killed Adre Escobar for that own goal...I remember talking about it on bus rides to games and stuff crazy!!!
Non of us in America could understand why? now I know why but ba ck then I was just a young kid.

For all the BAD Pablo was linked to he was also a national hero for what he did for soccer and the poor.
After the CIA helped kill Pablo pure lawlessness took over and the soccer program was never the same again.
Pablo should have stayed out of politics - it was then end for him.

"Plata o Plomo" silver or lead

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best one yet, by far.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else, this show was great. To us soccer(any sport) is just a game. You lose and you just go home and you return to your normal life. I vaguely remember someone getting killed over a soccer game when I was little.

I think the end of Pablo was inevitable even if he hadn't gotten into politics. The US wanted to come after him.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked "Straight Outta L.A." the best so far. I think that is what it was called? It was the one about the Raiders moving to L.A. and becoming the hip-hop team.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575 wrote:
I liked "Straight Outta L.A." the best so far.

really? i liked it because of my age and how that fit w/ me, but as a documentary, it was pretty meh.

run ricky run was good because of how brutally honest the director and subject both were. (yes, i am biased)

the u was freakin AWESOME because of the clarity w/ which it showed how college football was changed forever (ever if the 91 cotton bowl was a ruthless asswhipping)

the 16th man? talk about changing the world...

no crossover? you want to see how much this ISN'T an equal playing field?

30 for 30 is just about the best thing espn has ever done. major kudos to whoever greenlit this.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
pet575 wrote:
I liked "Straight Outta L.A." the best so far.

really? i liked it because of my age and how that fit w/ me, but as a documentary, it was pretty meh.

Maybe so. We're about the same age so that might be why I liked it so much. I'm not much of a film critic, so I mostly base that on whether the topic is interesting to me.

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Nother good one last night on Mat Hoffman. I knew the story about him concussing himself and slipping in & out of a coma for a few days, I didn't know his wife and kids were there to see the whole thing. That was pretty roughneck seeing his friends try to wake him up while she cried wondering if he was dead.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part was his friends tearing down one of his ghetto ramps while he was in the hospital and blaming it on the Oklahoma wind, so he wouldn't kill himself on it. Pretty much the reason action sports and daredevils go hand in hand these days.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
'Nother good one last night on Mat Hoffman. I knew the story about him concussing himself and slipping in & out of a coma for a few days, I didn't know his wife and kids were there to see the whole thing. That was pretty roughneck seeing his friends try to wake him up while she cried wondering if he was dead.

man, i couldn't agree w/ you more. i remember the incident, and obviously i knew how it turned out, but his mom and wife were right there... the fear in their voices... gotta admit, it got a bit dusty in the room right then.

i loved the show. moffman came into bmx right when i was still heavy into skating and i had been a bmx guy first (before i figured out i sucked and was 10x better off on a skateboard). i remember hoffman just coming out of NOWHERE and dominating. it was really cool to see fiola, dominguez, blyther, mccoy all say they knew they were f*cked when he came on the scene.

by the way, if any of you get men's journal, or want to look for it online, there's a great article on danny way this month. it's somewhat similar in the timeframe, physical challenges and where they are now.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
it was really cool to see fiola, dominguez, blyther, mccoy all say they knew they were f*cked when he came on the scene.

I grew up a 10 minute bike ride from Dennis McCoy's house in South KC. We used to ride over there all the time because they had build a MASSIVE halfpipe in their backyard. Used to go over there all the time, but hardly got to ride because those guys were 5 years older than us and they didn't want us taking their riding time. They threw us the scraps when they'd get tired or bored from doing insane things we'd never seen before. I was pretty crappy at BMX tricks (I was more of a racer) so I did LOTS of watching Dennis do his thing.

Honestly only saw him fall twice ever.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome! i've told this before on here, but i'll tell it again because mccoy was a haro guy...

in 10th and 11th grade, i lived just outside of stuttgart, west germany. there was a halfpipe that had been made w/ like...1x10s or something. it sucked for skaters, but we had skated every bit of patch barracks, stuttgart vaihingen (the town pb was in), and the city of stuttgart over the summer, and the little town the 1/2pipe was in was kind of cool. i'd never been, but one of the other guys had been before.

we skate to the train station in town, take the train over to the other town, skate all the way to the edge of town for this thing that we already know we can't really skate because of the planking... so, low expectations. skate up and brian blyther and ron wilkerson (how stoned did he look last night? and drinking a beer during his interview! lol!) are riding the pipe! one other guy w/ them. no one else. they were on tour through europe, came through stuttgart and someone told them about this pipe for some reason (there was a KILLER 1/2pipe right in downtown stuttgart next to the sporthalle). they couldn't do much on that crap pipe, but it was awesome watching what they did do. very cool guys and stoked to see american kids in the middle of germany.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV wrote:
My favorite part was his friends tearing down one of his ghetto ramps while he was in the hospital and blaming it on the Oklahoma wind, so he wouldn't kill himself on it.

Ha ha! That stuff's hilarious. Swope could barely get the sentence out without laughing. I'd'a probly done the same thing if that happened to one of my best friends.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the Hoffman one today. Awesome. The escobar one was crazy too. Glad I live in America....
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhawn wrote:
Watched the Hoffman one today. Awesome. The escobar one was crazy too. Glad I live in America....

Damn, I wish I would have known the Hoffman one was on so I could have set the DVR. I'll second the I'm glad I live in America after watching the Escobar episode and taking a trip to China.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impressed with the Tyson Tupac one....

Is Mickey Rourke the creepiest person alive.....?
Craig-R
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about to watch the tyson tupac one now... i've recorded and seen them all so far... The U was my favorite obviously Very Happy but i don't think there's been one that i haven't enjoyed
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some are pretty meh. tyson/tupac didn't do anything for me. haven't watched the jordan one because i know i won't see but maybe 5 min of stuff i haven't seen or heard in one form or another over the years. same as the one tonight. i have the fantasy baseball one unwatched as well.

need to back and watch the 2 escobars again when i'm completely undistracted so i can read all the subtitles.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jordan one wasn't bad. I thought it was going to be about why he left the NBA and addressing all the rumors (secret 1 yr gambling suspension, etc.), but is was focused almost primarily on his prowess and work ethic as a baseball player. Specifically, how he used his blood, sweat, and unparalled drive to transform himself from a sideshow bum to a solid Triple-A player and how he was on the verge of having it all click before returning to the NBA.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may need to watch it again then jv. jordan never made it to aaa. birmingham is aa, and a .202 ba isn't "solid" by any measure than "this is my first year playing baseball after a hof hoops career." (in which case, it's fairly impressive)
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, double-A. That's right, they said he was at the highest level before Triple-A. His last couple months or so he was hitting .270+, led the league in 9th inning go-ahead hits, was hitting HR's, and had a siht ton of stolen bases.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he had 30 sb, but he was caught 18 times. and he only hit 3 hr.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=jordan001mic

he'd have never been in aa if he wasn't mj.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't watched Tyson/Tupac yet, so nobody spoil it please. Jordan Rides the Bus was pretty meh. Not much to it unless you are too young to know the story. Maybe that is what they were going for on that one?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched jordan rides the bus. meh. i get that it was a big story from the last 30 years, but just like one night in vegas, it didn't tell me a single thing i didn't already know (except that francona was the manager of that barons team).

my favorites, so far:

two escobars
four days in october (admitted homer)
the u
run ricky run
without bias
the birth of big air

i haven't seen june 17 yet, but i have a feeling i'll dig it simply because i vividly remember it personally. i am betting i really enjoy the 16th man as well.

looking forward to pony excess, once brothers and the best that never was.
Big Al
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: League City

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Red Sox one, watching the Yanks lose is always fun. Smile
Craig-R
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone see the "Once Brothers" one with Vlade Divac? i thought it was great. i wasn't even born when Vlade was drafted but remember watching him on the kings, so it was fascinating to find out the back story of his life and of drazen petrovic as well
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that was great. i went to high school in germany right up until that time frame, and i understood a bit about how the eastern bloc was crumbling. but i didn't know anything about the dissolution of czechoslovakia - i couldn't keep all the parties separate and i certainly didn't understand the politics.

i knew that vlade and peteo were on opposite sides of the war, but i didn't know anything about the flag incident, and i certainly didn't know how deep that chasm was.

i never knew of petrovic as a blazer - all i knew of him was as a STUD outside shooter and hardnosed sob for the nets. that team was on the verge of really killing it w/ kenny anderson, derrick colenman, petro, jayson williams, mo cheeks, rick mahorn, bernard king and sam bowie - there was some serious f*ing talent on that team.

when he dies, it was SUCH a downer. that team was done - he was an important piece of that puzzle, and he couldn't be replaced.

watching the nascar one w/ tim richmond right now. wow - what a snapshot of aids in the 80s and middle america.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the Maurice Clarett one tonight?

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice clarett is a mexican pitcher for the dodgers?
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
maurice clarett is a mexican pitcher for the dodgers?

Nevermind, I read it wrong it was E60 not 30 for 30.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i didn't see that either, but i wish i had.

and my stupid dvr didn't catch the fernando 30 for 30 either. Mad
dalderman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Carlsbad

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I'm not sure you missed it. The football game went long and they went directly into Sportscenter on the west coast.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what football game? there are tuesday night football games now? i'm very confused. Confused
ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisiana Tech at Boise State. I thought it was Thursday night when I flipped over to ESPN last night. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: