Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2 problems w2w jump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: 2 problems w2w jump Reply with quote

I'm just learning my wake 2 wake jump but i'm experiencing 2 problems:

My first problem: When getting up the wake you need to stand tall. But when I try to do this, it feels like I'm pushing my board under water. Is this the normal feeling I should get?

Second problem: When trying to stand tall, I'm always losing my edge trough the wake. I'm not having any problems keeping my edge trough the wake when not standing tall and just locking my knees. But when I try to stand tall I seem to flatten off to early..

Any tips on how to solve these problems?

Thanks!
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videos always help to point out your issue
Chocoholic
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dubai

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, using the search function might help as there are a gazillion threas with answers on W2W help.

Copied and pasted from another thread:

Well as someone who has finally cracked the w2w and is landing safely in the flats - whoohooo! This is what I do, edge out on your toeside - not necessarily too far - set yourself up, so handle nice and low into your lead hip, upper body up straight, shoulders back. Let the boat start to pull you back in, get onto your progressive edge, really lean and load the line, then as you hit the wake stand tall, push down with the handle (you'll be surprised how much difference this actually makes), but you need to keep that edge and not flatten out. Also try not to let youself get pulled forward. It's definitely a 'push down' rather than a standing up motion.

It's something that really takes practice, playing with technique. It's not about how far you cut out and coming in at a rate of knots. I can clear the wake and get good pop by only going out a couple of meters.

jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I read about all the posts but I couldn't find any information on my specific problem. I even bumped a thread that was closest to my specific problem but nobody was answering my questions.

I know I need cut out toeside, I know I should load the line. I know I should cut progressively through the wake, I know I need to stand tall at the wake.

My question is very specific.

When standing tall it feels like I'm pushing the board under water, which makes me loose my balance. Is this the feeling I should get (pushing the board under water to get my knees straight) or should it feel like standing tall in a different way? Watched a lot of vids (like the book) and it doesn't look like they are pushing the board under water? It looks like they are standing tall just like you do on solid ground.

I really believe that if I get this point straight my wake 2 wake jumps will be a lot bigger but i'm really confused about the standing tall thing.

Thanks a lot!

edit: would love to make a vid but the season is over Sad
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your putting too much wheight on you front foot making it plow through the wake, adjust your position a bit, and possibly binding stance, and if the seasons over, why are you asking now your not gonna be able too test it out andsee what works
jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, to be honest I can't stop thinking about my wakeboarding. I just want to get better and I was thinking about what's going wrong with my jumps.

Maybe we get out tomorrow though, finally some good weather has been announced. I'll try to make a movie if we're going.

And thanks for your help Smile
jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got out for the last time this season and made a little video. Seems like my ropetention is wrong in the air. Am I pulling my legs in to early? In fact, I shouldn't be pulling my legs in at all I guess Sad

Tips are much appreciated!
Thanks!

dalderman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Carlsbad

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speed and length are you riding?
Your form actually doesn't look that bad but your wake looks really wide for how small it is. You'll need to edge harder to clear it at that length and speed. You might want to either speed up the boat, which will narrow the wake, or bring the rope in a little.
DJBusyB

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but it looks like you're letting up on your hard edge before you get to the wake. I believe if you got a harder edge, then stood tall, you'd clear it. Also, it looks like you're bending your knees back, bringing the board to your butt, instead of pulling your feet UP (as if you were crouching).

This is what helped me...how are your Ollies? Until I was able to get my ollies to where I felt good getting up out of the water, by letting the water pressure push me up (instead of trying to jump), I couldn't get w2w.

My boat's winterized, so no more riding for me. I'm encoding all my training videos to my iPad so I can watch them all out-of-season time.... Sad

Brian

jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are riding at 31 km/h and with a full lenght rope.
Can you explain me how you can keep an solid edge when standing tall? I seems that I'm always losing my edge when standing tall
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebuske wrote:
got out for the last time this season and made a little video. Seems like my ropetention is wrong in the air. Am I pulling my legs in to early? In fact, I shouldn't be pulling my legs in at all I guess Sad

Tips are much appreciated!
Thanks!

where's this? and why for the last time? there will be some more good weekends!!
any cableparks where you're at?
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, you need to combine the edging (way harder then you are doing) with the standing tall part.. stand tall, holding your edge real hard!
jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No location disclosed

Last edited by jebuske on Jan 07, 2024 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have the board stilll at angle edging into the water, while puting more downward pressure on the board by standing tall. instead of just standing up over the board and leting off your edge.
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
liquid forcekin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Athens

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent2010 wrote:
You need to have the board stilll at angle edging into the water, while puting more downward pressure on the board by standing tall. instead of just standing up over the board and leting off your edge.

well put
jebuske

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent2010 wrote:

Thanks! this was the type of explanation is was looking for!
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when you go to stand tall, concentrate on pushing with your heels to keep your edge. In your video it looks like you are a little off on your timing, popping a bit to soon. With small wakes timing is critical, and tricky. I struggled with it for quite a while, but once you get it, it'll feel smooth not like a jump at all.
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks! this was the type of explanation is was looking for!

Happy to help.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebuske, standing tall can mean two different things-depending on the way you look at it.

1. Standing tall like a basketball player standing under the basket and trying to reach up to touch the net without jumping and with his feet on the floor.

2. Standing tall on a wakeboard. This is standing tall relative to the angle of the board. So, the only time you're standing tall like example #1 is when the board is completely flat and you are not cutting. If you have the board at a 45 degree angle in the water while cutting hard, then you would be leaning at a 45 degree angle away from the boat with your legs relatively straight. You are standing tall relative to ONLY the board.

Look at the pic I posted in this thread to better explain example #2 above:

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=86254&highlight=

ray4man

City: Joplin

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your edging looks like you start progressive but you let up on it right before you get to the wake. I thnk you'll get it soon though. I'm no expert, in fact I just started landing W2W's about 2 months ago. Got some great advice here but the biggest help was when I started actually RIDING with people who knew what they were doing. It's great to get feedback as they bring the rope around. Mr. Green
johnnyphaze

City: dallas

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i approach the wake, i am on my aggressive edge and i stand tall and lean back. i continue to have a back lean as i go through the wake. i noticed that i always eat it when i am not leaning back causing the rope to slack and pulling me forward while in the air
ronix14

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get W2W you need line tension and speed. To get line tension you need to edge all the way through the wake. To get the speed you just need to have progressive edge towards the wake. Cut out on your heels to the toeside wake. Practice cutting slowly and building line tension and speed away from the wake. Once you feel comfortable doing this go to your heel-side wake and do the same thing. Cut out hard and far on your toes, drift in a foot or two then slowly start building speed by edging towards and through the wake, with your hardest edge at the top of the wake. It will feel scary at first but once you do it once or twice you will never feel comfortable cutting slowly at the wake again. You'll only want to cut fast. If you need more help on tricks like these, I suggest purchasing Detention 2010 by Shaun Murray. It is a wake board instructional on just about every trick you will ever need to learn. It teaches everything from getting up and jumping to raleys, tantrums, off axis spins, 540s, etc. For a wakeboarder like you who is just learning to go W2W this would probably be a very smart investment for the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: