Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

new to buying snowboard gear have ?'s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: new to buying snowboard gear have ?'s Reply with quote

im looking for a good all mountain/powder/groomed run board and binding setup for about 300. the problem is im new to snowboarding, and dont know what a good company is besides the norm. (k2, rosignal, burton, etc) i have heard captiva is good, but their has to be more good company's out their besides them. let me know where to start looking. and if you have a used setup, let me know.

by the way, im 6' and 210#'s, and ride either on powder, or ice.
Wazzy
Addict
Addict

City: Illinois

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit me back at mwwf4u at hotmail dot com

I might be able to help you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

message sent
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartman, I have ridden burton boards for 5 years. They do make a good board. Other good brands are capita, DC, ride, rome, forum, nitro, never summer

i guess it is the same as picking a wakeboard though, you really want to try and demo.

one thing though, you do not want a jib board or park board. these are really flexible and made mainly for rails. it will be very hard to hold an edge on ice. i havent ridden one in powder but i dont think it will work as wel as a freestyle or freeride board.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K2 makes solid price point boards, I ride a Brigade 163 wide and I'm about the same size as you (a little heavier at 230) You didn't state your shoe size which will determine if you need a wide or not. I got a close out on it at 160 and found a pair of Ride Delta's for 96. I rode this set up down Blacks at mach 3, through the park to play and a day in knee deep powder. Another board that gets a lot of great reviews for all mountain is the k2 Turbo Dream(can find last years around 200).

There is a lot of new tech out with the different rocker lines, as a beginner don't worry to much about all that. Focus most of your budget on boots, you spend all day in them and if they suck it'll make your day suck. If you can try on boots that's really the way to go, if not, check the online retailers return policy. I know backcountry.com has one of the best return policies in the business.

kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. im not really a beginner, as we went 3-4 days a week from first chair to last call last year. about the only thing we dont do is the terrain park. their isnt a pow run that we wont hit. as for boots, i just picked up a pair of size 10 Burton's for 40$ last year i destroyed a 5150 i picked up on CL. towards the end of the season, i picked up a liquid pursuit 161 wide, and love the way it floats through the powder. im afraid of how cheep it is, and the way we ride, it will get destroyed also. it gets kinda squirrely on the ice though, but i think that is just the way the edge is cut. (i think it is at 3*)

i live in the boise idaho. if any one wants to road trip it up to here to ride bogus, let me know. as we are always looking for new people to ride with. i could prolly put you up for a night or to. at the same time, we are looking at road tripping a couple times this year, we will be hitting up pomerelle cause its cheep and close, but want to ride a bigger mountain. not sure where yet cause we dont know where the good powder is. except for resort towns that charge 300 a night (sun valley, and salt lake)

Last edited by kartman on Sep 21, 2010 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquid forum? You mean a Forum Liquid? If so Forum makes good stuff. I couldn't find it in a google search.

I hit everything last year, including a few rocks, trees, and even a skier lol, hardly put a ding on my K2. If you float a lot of powder then for sure look at reverse camber boards. The problems you are going to run into this time of year is your budget, and the size you need. Right now most of last years gear is gone, and all the companies have released their new gear. If you can get by on your current set up till about Dec. you'll start to see the deals pop up.

You can try used, craigslist/ebay and what not, however unlike wake boards, snowboards take a beating. You might keep an eye on the classifieds on http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ Pretty chill forum, kind of like this one, lots of knowledgeable people and not a bunch of snotty a-holes like the 3-4 other SB'ing forums I've tried.

If you can bump your budget to 300 for just the deck it will open up a lot of options. http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Sierra-Reverse-Crew-Snowboards.asp
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Flow-Infinite-Snowboards.asp
http://www.evo.com/snowboards/k2-anagram-wide-rocker-snowboard-2011.aspx

What bindings are you running now? I've had really good luck with Ride, just stay away from the LX/EX I've heard the ratchets are poor quality. I have the 08/09 Deltas and love them, stiff chassis with a med. flex high back, they go every where and are pretty much bullet proof.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boards, I own 2 and still don't have a good feel for how to pick them out. Boots you have to try on and spend the extra money on getting a super comfortable pair. Bindings, I really like the Flow bindings. A lot of people hate on them, but they are so much better for getting in and out of than regular ones. The new ones are also a lot lighter than they used to be
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bindings are mission 6. picked them up for 50$ from big 5 sports. and my board is a liquid pursuit 161. just looked at it.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I'm with you there, snowboard buying is a confusing process lol. With wake there are a handful of manufacturers that we all know, and a few choices in tech. With snowboards there are literally dozens of quality manufacturers with each one trying to come out with something new tech wise. I spent about a month last year researching everything, and basically pulled the trigger on an impulse lol. This year is even worse, rocker, flat, hybrid, carbon rods(Ride pop stix), magna traction, and a bunch of other buzz words for new stuff.

I can give you a list of ones to stay away from, these have all slipped in quality and tech: Morrow, Lamar, 5150, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Quality manufacturers include
Arbor
Bataleon
Burton
CAPiTA
DC
Flow
Forum
GNU
K2
Lib Tech
Never Summer
Nitro
Ride
Rome
Rossignol

The best thing to do is look a round the online close out places, find 3-4 in your price range that will do what you want them to, then post up links on the SB forums to get feedback on those decks.

JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboards/k2-brigade-snowboard-2010.aspx

http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-bindings/k2-mach-demo-2008.aspx

Solid set up for a little over 300 Wink

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH, what's your take on park boards vs all mountain?

I ride probably:
50% packed - blues, looking for little kickers. My wife loves to haul ass down the hill so we do that a lot.
25% park - rails, grabs on kickers, 180s and attempting 3s on smaller stuff. I'm pretty awful on the half pipe.
20% powder
5% goofing around with presses, 180s type stuff at a slow pace

I got the Ride Control which is an all mountain board a couple years back. It seems fine but I would like to get better with my park riding. Don't know if I should look into a park board eventually.

JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, All the companies use a flex scale of 1 to 10(1 being a noodle and 10 super stiff), a 5 on a k2 scale is going to be different then a 5 on a ride scale. A park board is going to be lower on the flex scale, where your Control is an 6 if I remember correctly something like a kink is going to be around a 3-4. Park boards are in the lower flex range, and will cause chatter at high speeds, the edge hold will be reduced also. A strait up jib board will be a 1-2 on most flex scales and are only good for rails, butters, and boxes.

Nothing wrong with having 2 decks, keep your current one and get a solid park board, but not a jib noodle, it won't land for sh1t. If you like Ride's boards check out the kink, or look into a K2 Parkstar.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH, so what does the extra flex give me? Should I also look for a shorter board for the park?

I guess powder doesn't really matter as far as flex goes, just length?

joshdi27

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is right the Burton is a good brand of snowboards. My favorite is DC and nitro. They are really good and the weight is also suit in my style.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A board with more flex will give you more pop off the lip, easier buttering, and better presses on the jibs. If you get too soft though it will loose edge hold, and be washy on landings, and carves. Most do ride a shorter deck for park, I normally ride a 163 wide, and I'm looking at the 158 parkstar for a park deck. Also if you go reverse camber (rocker) you can run shorter and still be able to float powder. That being said you do want a stiffer deck if you want a pure powder board. Not sure how the flex applies to a RC board though as I have just started researching these and they are fairly new tech that is still coming of age.
rscott22
Criminal
Criminal

City: Waynesboro

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big Mervin manufacturing fan here. They make the GNU and LIBtech boards which I have been now riding for 6 years they have been very innovative the last couple of years with Magnetraction, banana Technology and using the most enviromental friendly boards on the market. But for your price range it is most likley going to be out of budget a cheap skate banana runs around 475 new and thats just the board. I always go to www.thehouse.com to reserach all the new snowboard equipment but I always recomend buying rom your local pro shop you get much better customer service that way.

Wake: Soon to come Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: