Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

All in one cpu versus tower?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intotheflats
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: All in one cpu versus tower? Reply with quote

Looking to get a new desktop and am really considering an all in one with touch screen. Anyone have any good or bad experience with the all in one systems? The one I am looking at comes with wireless keyboard and mouse, has a 23" screen and it's about $900 but was on sale recently for $800. If I got a comparable tower system I might save $200 for a similar system but it would be stuck in my office at home. If I get the all in one I have the ability to move it from room to room very easily and all I'd have to do is plug it into an outlet.

Anyway, I think i'm pretty sold on getting an all in one unless there is a good reason to stay away from them. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
intotheflats

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if it matters but the cpu would be used primarily for the girlies school work, web surfing, and possibly photo and video editing but nothing to crazy. Not much into gaming or anything so I don't really need a super high powered cpu.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the specs? Most of the systems like that I've seen are pretty weak and while they're usually ok for basic internet/work use and media playback, they'd probably quickly get pretty useless for photo/video editing (although I don't have any experience using them for an extended period of time).

touch-interfaces are generally god-awful too (at least right now and with the systems i've messed around with) so don't take that in to consideration too much.

I've always built my own PC's when I had the time so I'm a fan of the tower-based systems since they're so easy to upgrade or repair if something goes wrong. Plus tower systems (whether you build em or not) are generally cheaper.

Really it all comes down to whether or not you want to spend the extra $200 on the ability to save about 3minutes every time you want to move it by not having to plug in a separate monitor and tower.
intotheflats

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, The one i'm looking at is a Gateway ZX6900-01E.

And as far as the video and phot editing, I am by no means an expert at either so it would be used mainly for phot editing probably with photoshop or something similar and the video editing would really just be piecing together clips. Nothing too crazy.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great for what you need it for. That thing should scream pretty well with basic internet/video and music playback (the same for office-type applications). As long as you don't plan to do anything intense rendering-wise, it should handle photoshop decently and at least basic video editing.

I've played with them in stores before (or at least similar) and windows touch interfaces suck (and every time I messed with these they were completely unresponsive a lot of the time) but just as a regular household computer, it should do ya fine if you don't care about the touch interface too much.
intotheflats

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i really don't plan on using the touch screen much at all. Thanks for the input.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intotheflats, No problem. I always like to use my nerd superpowers when I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: