Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Tower Install - Noticed my hull already has thickened areas!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Tower Install - Noticed my hull already has thickened areas! Reply with quote

Have a new tower on order and noticed that my boat appears to already have thickened fiberglass at 4 areas (that are approximately where a tower might attach). The thickened fiberglass areas are about 8" long x 6" high x 3/4" thick (see pics).

Has anyone ever heard of this? Would I still need to reinforce with wood backing plates?

I'm not holding my breath that the tower arm lengths will actually LAND on these thickened areas...might get lucky tho.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: eugene

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of boat is it? i know bayliner dose this in the factory
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'00 Aztec Sunstar 210.
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah ithink thats becasue this boat is a hull designed for towers and such being an inboard of the 200 era heres one with a tower http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1939609879.html

got any pics of your wake
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, but I'll get some up. We rarely take pics.
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep hope the tower lines up well, they probably use the same hul/ deck for many of there models, just threw some different optinos/ paint on them, but left the same hull, like some mastercraft boats, wel actually most mc boats today, such as x7=ps197 hull, x2, mc200, x14, ps 214 etc, the only boats that dont have the same hull as others in production today are the csx, xstar, prostar 190 and x1, and they have about 20 models or so, only reson i was wondering about hte wake, is becasue ive never heard of a aztec, do you have any wheight?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like they beefed it up enough already. If the tower feet land in those spots, I'd bet you would be fine.
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkster, nope I don't have any stock ballast. Sac'ing it out is my next big project, but I really don't want that crap all over the floor. Been seriously considering getting 400 ish pounds of steel disc ballast for the back, and then adding a 250 ish pound sac in the ski locker. That's down the road though...

I've been really pleased with the wake, but then again I haven't ridden behind anything else. Even though I've read some negative things about Aztecs on some posts (mainly objecting to the quality), it's been a killer first boat for us for under $15K.

Some pics below. Hopefully the next pics I post of it will include a tower Twisted Evil .
MobiusLSV

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reinforce with aluminum plate, not wood. Reason? The aluminum won't crush or rot and will help maintain a consistent pressure on the nuts.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MobiusLSV, some people would advise against that. If the aluminum can dig into the fiberglass along an edge due to torque, it could cause issues with the glass and gelcoat. That's the concern I've heard brought up. I think if there is some sort of dampening material between the metal and glass, it would help. Also, wood can be treated with CPES and last quite a long time.
MobiusLSV

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie i've used aluminum plates on my last three boats without issue. All you have to do it chamfer or round-over the contacting edges and there's no issue.
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a great looking boat, i owuld take it any day over mine Mr. Green but if you got the tools and time you could do somenice rigging for the ballast, how much space do you have under the back seat? because that could be a possible place for a bag, then you could probably put one right up in the bow through the ski locker, it looks like your front bow is one big sun pad? any space there? and you could even build some boxes for along the sides of the engine like someone else on here ive seen do,
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the back seat I could prolly fit at MOST a 400LB sac, but I'm a bit worried that the bottom might be too weak?? Feels sorta flimsy when I stood on part of it, but I haven't really investigated it too much.

Yeah, bow is one big sun pad with zero room under the cushions.

I like these ballast bags the best (33LB each): http://www.xairwakeboarding.com/products/ballast/XAHWB

It would be kind of a pain to move 12 of these bags (to equal 400LB total) in and out of the boat, but it's not that big of a deal for me if it means no sacs on the floor. Then, in the ski locker I could fit a 250-0350LB sac.

Stop talking about it - you're gonna make me go buy all this stuff and piss my wife off again Laughing .
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems those plates would get kinda pricey, seems that with a couple hours one day, you could make that center part so it opens, but is there any way to move around some weight to the front throught the ski locker?
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MobiusLSV, Okie Boarder is correct that this is not the best option. At least not by us in the tower industry.

For many reasons aluminium is a GREAT option, but unless you are mounting to a totally flat area of hull, which is rare, we always advise against it.

Even with chamfered edges, ally plate will try to pull a curved area of glass flat, which can then result in deck cracking.

The best things to use are sheets of thin marine ply (laminated together) or a composite material that will conform to the deck. Both these options should be epoxied to the deck.

I've seen metal plates crack decks several times now therefore cannot advise it as a good option.

hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what tower are you putting on it?
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerial Assault. Just got it on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: