Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Power amp question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Power amp question Reply with quote

Ok... so this past week I installed a small power amp, sub, and 2 speakers. The "garage" test was great It ran for a long time without draining the battery.. so I felt pretty confident about chilling in the water running it. Well... guess what... Saturday night we were towed in by some good folks. We went back out Sunday... and after about 15 min the power amp stared sounding funny... garbling the signal. I turned it off and the battery barely kicked the motor over... spent the rest of the day with no tunes. I wonder if the amp is getting too hot and pulling the battery down? I have a closed bow boat and have the amp mountd by the driver foot rest.....would a fan blowing on it help?

Thanks.
jonyb
Addict
Addict

City: Paducah

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amp is draining the battery, and not because it's getting hot. Those are 2 separate issues. If you want to listen to the stereo without the boat running, you'll need to add a dedicated battery to the stereo. That battery will also need to be charged separately or add a battery switch (like a Perko) to select which battery the alternator is connected to while the boat is running. Batteries' don't recharge themselves.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... ok.... Does it need to be a full sized battery?
browneye253
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and you should look for a deep cycle battery. The larger the battery the longer you can run the tunes. I'd also look into a battery charger you can hook up after you get off the water. It would be tough for the alternator to charge two batteries completely, so when you get off the water just hook up the charger for the evening and you're ready to go the next day.

chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great... thanks!
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed before. You need an isolator and a 2nd battery. A perko switch would be a PITA compared to an isolator.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa... slow down there Joedirt... I understand second battery in that reply... the rest is greek.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chawk610, I believe what joeDirt00 is referring to is an auto-split charge relay.

In lay mans terms its a large relay (about 180amp). when the engine is running the relay is closed. this allows a charging current to hit both batteries. as soon as you turn the motor off, the relay snaps open. this isolates the batteries from each other. so say you have your stereo running from battery 2 and starter motor from battery 1... they are kept seperate.
you can flaten one and still start off the other... this will avoid the embaressing situation you found yourself in the otyher day.

Can you gove us details of boat (model and year), amp you installed and ay other auxilleries you have added?

chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... it is an '83 Mastercraft Comp. speed slot ski boat, stars and stripes. I have added a 300wJBL marine power amp, 6" bass tube, and (2) 3 way dash mounted speakers to go with the existing 5x7's under the passenger bench. I have also stripped and oiled the teak deack...apparently someone in the past varnished it!!! It is coming along... Smile
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider, That is one type. There is debate whether that type prematurely kills batteries because of the nature of the way they work. If you kill one battery and then open the relay, supposedly the power rush from the good battery to the dead one is not good. Don't know if I buy into it though.

I prefer and use a solid state isolator which is basicly a big diode. The one I have in the boat is made by Surepower. I've been using these for years on the 4wd's with winch installations. I think its a better way to go myself.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Moon

City: Prosser

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really something wrong with just using the perko or are you just to lazy to switch it from one battery to another (question for joedirt)? The reason I ask is cause we run three batteries with a perko. Two batteries in par. for the stereo and one for starting. I have a onboard charger for the two stereo batteries which gets plugged in when we get home. We never drive with the stereo batteries and it's very easy to switch the perko from one bank to the other. I'm just curious why you say it's a pita.
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just one more thing I NEVER have to mess with. The Surepower isolator automaticly routes the alternators output to the battery that needs it. They are cheap and easy to install.

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One benefit of having the perko is that you can switch over to your house battery if for some reason your starting battery dies without having to move any cables. Might help out in a pinch. I personally am a big fan of a perko and ACR combo.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... hard to make a decision with all these point / counter points! But I have to do something... I can't keep giving away all me beers for tows in Smile
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a fan of the Perko, but my boat came with it installed. Its easy to acces, and easy to use.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about my boat... there is NOT a lot of storage in her...
chawk610
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... I have decided this fall, which is mid to late October for us I am gonna use the Perko and an additional deep cycle battery. Thank yall for the advice, I will make a new post when I get started if I get in a jam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: