Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

For those of you that own your own business...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: For those of you that own your own business... Reply with quote

When you started was it just you doing everything, and if it was how was the transition to hiring employees? I'm at the point where I could expand and hire some help, but I'm not sure if the additional costs and PITA is worth it.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends what you do and how large you plan on expanding. Will probably be a pain at first but if everything works out, it will obviously make things easier in the long run. I've actually been considering this but haven't because I don't have time to deal with the hassles of setting things up right now. Is it possible for you to just outsource certain things without hiring any full time employees? I've got a few people I just do that with and throw them random work when I'm too busy or it's something I can't be bothered with.
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a plumbing contractor. In the area I'm in, I currently have nearly all the home builders right now and pretty much all the large custom homes(6000-10000sq ft) are plumbed by me. Right now with all the new homes, I turn down 99% of the service calls and most remodel jobs. Everybody is currently happy right now with the service we are providing. I dont want to take any long term commercial work because I don't want to lose my consistant contractor work, but I feel like I'm missing out on alot of $$$.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
OH2FL

City: Boynton Beach

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you start adding employees = everything they DO and SAY, ACT and portray ~ are all a refection of you.

If you're going to do SERVICING, could it be done as a satelite business, only on paper?
'Joe's Plumbing', then have 'Mr. Dirt's Repair'.
The books are one. The taxes, payroll and such will be one - but the name on the truck is another. dba:

WHAT IF:
One of your CONTRACTORS says Monday morning ~ "Wow Joe, that guy you referred to me for repairing my kitchen sink - he hit on my teenage daughter".
..... would be better than "Joe, your SOB Employee is a creep" ((And he won't TELL you about it right away, but the next few homes he's building will have the plumbing sub-contracted to a competitor)).

BE THE BEST AT WHAT YOU ARE.
MORE MONEY TO BE MADE is sometimes NOT WORTH the headache associated with it.

.... need more thougts?? PEACE & Be Safe out there

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do similar to what ontrider says. I sub out my cad work and hire part time office admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: