Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

cheap homemade slider?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: LAKE STEVENS

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: cheap homemade slider? Reply with quote

Ok so I have been thinking about building myself a slider for awhile and I just decided (convinced my dad) that I am going to build one.
So here Is a rough design of what I would like to build. Also if anyone has a step by step guide to building a simple begginer slider like this I would love for them to post it.
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest suggestion would be to make it longer than 20'. My first one was 20' and it felt like you were only on it for a second. I'd go at least 30+ feet. Also, you'll want the floatation fairly wide so it doesn't sway side to side....I've made that mistake too. And don't make the entrance & exit to steep. Best of luck and keep us updated with progress pics!
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well the problem I have with making it too long is the storage space to store it but im planning on making it 5 foot on then 20 foot long then 5 foot off, But does anyone have any good cheap ideas for the floatation I cant find anything
jboneill

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the 5 ft peices to make it longer and just ollie on rather than the up slopes... or at least make them less steep
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric mf soler wrote:
ok well the problem I have with making it too long is the storage space to store it but im planning on making it 5 foot on then 20 foot long then 5 foot off, But does anyone have any good cheap ideas for the floatation I cant find anything

55 gallon oil drums work well

eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I am going to make them alot less steep than they loook in the picture I only want the rail to be like 2 feet off the water or so would the oil drums allow them to float at about that level?
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the double post but I just went to home depot and lowes to look for materials to build my slider almost no luck I found wood tho and I decided I was going to make It a foot wide. Im not sure where/what to put ontop of the wood. I couldn't find the pvc sheeting I was looking for anywhere.

My friend told me he used plexi glass on the top of his how would that work.
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sønderborg Denmark

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make it longer than 20 feet. i might look big out of the water, but in the water it is small. i build my first slider her this winter it is 7 meters long = 22 feet. and it is to small, it works fine but you only have a little over a second on the slider. i would make a least 35 - 40 feet.

on the issue of topcoating, i used plastic carpet rolls, the stuff you use to roll new carpets on in the shop. i could get in 5 meter lenght, and they are 10 cm i diameter. they work just fine. and they are cheap.

good luck and put some pics up.
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problem is the police my dad is just letting me build a small one to start with so we don't spend a ton of money on a huge one then get ticketted. So this changed my plans a littled so im probably going to get a 16ft long board and slide that for awhile and then once my dad realizes that cops won't notice I will add another 16ft section.
kyle b.word

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric mf soler wrote:
sorry for the double post but I just went to home depot and lowes to look for materials to build my slider almost no luck I found wood tho and I decided I was going to make It a foot wide. Im not sure where/what to put ontop of the wood. I couldn't find the pvc sheeting I was looking for anywhere.

My friend told me he used plexi glass on the top of his how would that work.

Have you looked into using choice decking? It's a composite made up of recycled materials. It also won't rot or crack like wood over the time would. It's a little pricey, but I think it would do the job and last a while. here's their website http://choicedek.com. Goodluck!
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make the ends of the rail that go under water be five feet or so under the water, then attach cinder blocks to the bottom of them to act as counterwheights to go against any swaying. nd 3 cinderblocks is plenty for 20 feet, i guess if your planning on having it sit there for a while then more is nessacary, and go out ony our boat and have the driver go by a couple spots where you want tobe hitting it, the best parts are where theres a small point on the lake then put the slider ont hat point, and that way the boat wont have to turn the next instant to avoid the shore. but if you can id suggest a solid slider, there much better.
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkster0001,how many sliders have you built? and how many sliders have you hit?
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only built one, maybe hit 6-7 different ones. the problem i had with mine is i had to put about 10' off my dock so it wouldnt be in more water then i had rope for, but then when the boat went by i would hit te slider, then the boat would be 75' in front of me and have to turn so i would get pulled off the last 5 feet of it.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric mf soler, Are you putting it in the middle of a lake? How deep is the water? Do you HAVE to move it? I ask because it's MUCH easier/less expensive to put some posts in the ground in shallower water instead of trying to float something.
eric mf soler
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its going to be off the edge of my dock but leaving it up isn't really an option but I will be tieing it to my dock to storeit
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you make an "off" ramp? to hit it from both sides? i would rather make only an "on" ramp and add the 5ft.
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the slider i built this past summer, it might help give a little inspiration. The rail itself rolls on 4 concrete filled tires that swing up and down. I have 2 two-way boat trailer winches with the straps connected to the bottom of the metal pivoting legs. the slider is 30ft long on top with 2 slanted on-off ramps 15ft long. I have 1/8 HDPE sheeting 2ft wide x 60ft long stretched over the top and screwed down with counter sunk screws. There are 5 rectangular pieces of Styrofoam 22in wide x 72in long x 15in tall braced up underneath the top of the slider and between the plywood siding.

How it works is the rail is rolled from the shore into the lake with the legs swung up. As soon as it is in deep enough water the slider will float itself with the legs positioned up. Next we tow it to the location and start lowering the legs down with the winches. Once the 2 legs are down you start riding. When we are done we just swing the legs back up with the winches, tow it back to shore, and tie a rope onto it and tow it straight out with a truck. We cant turn it without the backhoe with the forks on it but can roll it straight out of the lake. Also with the legs down and on the lake bottom its just as stable as a stationary rail with legs driven into the lake bottom. What surprised me the first time we used it was how the boat wake had no effect on it what so ever even though its a floating slider.

We use it in my family's private ski lake. its 6ft deep where we put it but we couldnt put in a permanent slider because the lakes not wide enough. So we have to pull it in and out every time we use it. thats why i made it the way i did. Im away down at school and cant take any pictures till next week when i come back but heres a diagram of what it looks like. It might help with designing someone else's slider, idk.

Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good design posted above. Have any completed pics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: