Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

BIG electrical problems, help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: BIG electrical problems, help! Reply with quote

SO today I'm out on some glass water and giving my buddy a pull then the whole boat just shuts down. just boom, no power to anything but the trim motor which is ran seperately straight off the battery.

We checked EVERYTHING. The only bad thing we found was a single wire being chewed through by the pulley system. This wire goes from the battery, to a little black box ...really little, to a big blue thing, to the alternator. we're about 99% sure this is for charging purposes and see no reason why this would stop all power everywhere.

All fuses on the panel up front look good and we didn't find any in line fuses in the back or on the way there. I am seriously stumped...

Also another shitty part of this story, After seeing that wire had been cut through and we tied it back together there was still no power. So I went back to the starter and found that the power wires were very loose, easy to wiggle. The stud coming off the solenoid broke when I went to tighten it:( I can't rebuild the solenoid myself as its a completely sealed unit(already tried) We've replaced the starter once already at a cost of $380 and I would HATE to spend $380 just because of a broken stud...any ideas?

Very BAD Canada day for me:( no pull on butter lake, boat broke down and broke the starter. I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

Oh yeah, the boat is a 97 glascon 180 ultra. .
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: we figure out a way to make the starter work with the broken stud. Simply tied the 3 cables(2 8 gauge, 1 10 gauge) coming to it into 1 4 gauge cable(just bolted the terminals together) and bolted the 4 gauge cable to the starter. There was JUST enough of the stud left to get a good grab on the nut with 1 terminal on there.

Now that that's all back together and I have access to a test light I can start looking for where the power stops going through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: