Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Which lens for Canon DSLR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Which lens for Canon DSLR? Reply with quote

I just posted this on the other site, but I thought the more opinions the better!

I just picked up a Canon T1i which came with the 18-55mm IS lens. I want to purchase a telephoto zoom lens, but being a new to the hobby (and on a budget) I want to dip my toes in the pool first before jumping all the way in. Basically, I'm wanting to spend less than $200.

I understand that what makes great pictures is great glass, but the fact of the matter is I don't have $500 + to drop on a lens. Therefore, which lenses would you experts recommend? Here are some of the lenses that are in my price range. I've read reviews on each of them, but as with everything, the reviews range widely. Any insight you guys can give would be appreciated!

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Autofocus Avg $250, but I can find it a little cheaper
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus - DC motor avg $160
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Autofocus - USM motor avg $190
Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM Avg $160, has image stabilization, but is only 200mm
Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Avg $160, has macro function
Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Avg $125, has macro function
Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Avg $165, has macro function

Regarding the Canons, from what I understand the USM version of this lens still uses a gear drive and while technically it's a USM it's really not the same as the USM versions in the L series. Therefore, is it really worth the extra $30 over the DC motor? Also, the 55-250 has the IS feature. Will this feature be worth it to go with a lens that only goes to 250mm as opposed to the other two which go to 300mm? I will be shooting some wakeboarding shots, so I suppose I need to be able to zoom in on a rider riding 75 ft out.

Lastly, I've read good and bad things about 3rd party lenses such as the ones from Sigma and Tamron. The question is, which category do the ones I've listed above fall into?

dman726749

City: Avon

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with the canon glass.....the tamron lens that i used to have was a good lens, but the focus was slow and loud (17-50 F2.Cool IS is great when you are indoors and are struggeling with your shutter speeds to get a sharp image, but out on the lake where you will be in bright light using a fast shutter speed to shoot wakeboarders it really isnt going to help much, but it will dranin your battery faster......and yes, I would pay the extra 30 bucks and get the USM motor...faster and quieter than the DC motor
Anubis_79

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outdoors you probably won't need image stabilization as you should be shooting at a fast enough shutter speed, but you'll want it later on trust me. I wouldn't even bother with the Sigma 70-300. Sure it's got good quality but it becomes useless in all but the best days. I had the Nikon version before, and I missed a lot of great shots because I had to counteract camera shake. The Canon 55-250 is probably the best lens of the bunch, decent range plus IS. I rarely go over 135mm when I'm shooting from my boat, and at 200mm the rider is pretty much full frame with the camera vertical. It all comes down to what else you plan to shoot really. I don't use the IS function on my Nikon when I'm on the water, but it's a godsend on overcast days and fading light, and those occasions when you just can't get the right shutter speed at the aperture you want. I'd take IS over 50mm anyday, but that's just me.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I went ahead and bought up the Canon 55-250mm. Should get it next week..... can't wait to put it to good use!
Anubis_79

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and have fun! It should be a great lens for any kind of use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: