Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wiring up tower speakers and amp- Need Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredrite

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Wiring up tower speakers and amp- Need Help! Reply with quote

This is my first post, and I am looking for some advice as to how to wire up some tower speakers. I currently have a Mastercraft Prostar 190.

Existing audio set up:
-4 Clarion Marine speakers wired to
-Clarion XMD1 head unit
-Speakers are powered from the headunit only (no separate amp)
-Remote by driver (but only works when engine is off. Is this a safety feature? Kind of annoying that I cannot adjust the volume while driving.

Phase 1- Id like to add:
-2 HLCD tower speakers (any recommendations?) powered by
-Dedicated amp (thinking Clarion APX490M, any recommendations?)

Phase 2-
-Replace Clarion XMD1 with Clarion CMD6
-Wire a USB jack from the headunit to the driver's area for iPhone hookup
-Replace existing Clarion speakers with new ones (Polk?)

I have limited knowledge with marine audio specifically, but lots of knowledge of electronics in general, specifically home audio.

I'm looking for advice on how to wire the amp into the boat?
With one amp do I need a second battery?
Will one amp be enough?
Will the alternator be able to charge it sufficiently?
Should I leave the 4 existing speakers powered by the receiver, and only put the two HLCD's on the amp?
Or, should I put 2xtower + 4xboat speakers on the same amp?

I'd like to do the amp and tower speakers now. Once I have those working, invest more into the rest of the boat. I'm trying to be frugal in doing this as well. I'll attach pictures of the existing setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated! If you'd prefer to chat offline, feel free to ping me. Thanks fellow Shredders!
shredrite

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help at all? Sad
browneye253
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a lot of questions up there but I'll see if I can't get a couple of them answered.

1) You can run the amp and head unit off one battery, but if you plan to sit in the cove all day listening to tunes you'd be wise to look into a second battery.

2) You can run the 4 in boat speakers off the HU and then the tower off a 2 channel amp or you could look at a 4 or 6 channel amp to power the tower and boats. It's mostly just matching up the amount of power you need for each speaker and making sure the amp or amps can push them all.

3) To wire the amp up you need to pickup an amp wiring kit which will include a power, ground and remote cable. Which kit you buy depends on which amp you buy. The amp will specify if it needs a 8 guage or 4 guage kit. Because you're in a boat and there is typically no common ground available like the chassis of a car you'll need to run the ground and power cables directly from the battery. Be sure to install a fuse within 18" of the battery on the power lead. The remote wire will hook into the stereo's remote wire and then a pair of RCA's to get the signal to the amp.

4) The alternator should be fine with the addition of just one amp, but again this would be determined by the size of the amp you are planning to install.

Hopefully I was a little bit of help. Good luck!

Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally run the tower speakers on the amp alone and run the boat speakers off the head unit. If you want the boat speakers amplified I would do it with a second amp.

This way you can toggle the tower speakers on and off by simply putting a switch on the remote wire for the amp. For my boat there was an extra "accessory" switch which I ran as the remote wire. Remember if you plan on going this route, all you need is a power source to the switch, you don't need to actually run from the remote off the deck to the switch.

Hope that makes sense and was of some help:)
shredrite

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks for all the help! I think I will stick with leaving the 4 boat speakers on the HU. I will then get a 2 channel amp for the 2 tower HLCD speakers. Any recommendations on amp? Most of the stuff I have seen recently recommends Clarion or JL. When you say "stereos remote wire" do you mean the blue one that is hanging off the back of the HU (currently unattached)?

Don't need to be able to pump music all day without running the engine. Maybe just an 45 minutes or so at a time. Once I power up the boat, how long does it typically take the alternator to charge up the battery?

Thanks again! I am excited to get to work on this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: