Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

My first w2w attempts and switch riding, help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceMountian

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: My first w2w attempts and switch riding, help? Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post on the forums. Ive been lurking around for a while and have found some great info on here so far, hopefully i can get some help with my w2w and riding switch.
Ive been riding for a couple of summers and this summer I decided I wanted to start doing some tricks. These are my first ever attempts at a w2w jump and switch riding. I think I know what I'm doing wrong, not cutting in hard enough and not extending at the wake, but I would like to have you guys add your $.02. Let me know what you think. The boat is a I/O obviously and I'm riding at 55ft for most of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapLoYkpluA
savage3221
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, your cuts are actually pretty good for your first bit of wake jumping. The main thing that I saw was that you were letting off of your edge before you get to the wake, and are "coasting" into the wake with the residual speed from your initial cut.

The only issue with this is that you need to be constantly accelerating to the point that your fastest point in the cut should be at the very top of the wake. Your first half of a cut looks wonderful, don't change that, just keep accelerating (doesn't have to be drastic, but definitely needs to be there). This is called the Progressive Edge, you will probably come across it frequently. Keep your edge strong all the way through the wake, keep your legs strong against it so that you launch upward versus suck the wake's energy up with your knees (you aren't doing this, just remember it in case you ever start to).

Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think you should play with the trim a bit to clean up the wake. Generally I can trim 1/4 up if I have a couple people in the front of the boat. it really cleans the wake up and makes it nicer. remember not to play with the trim over 1500 rpms though. I tend to trim up and pull a guy, if the boat starts to bounce I slow to a crawl and adjust as needed.

Also when people talk about rope lengths, they're generally saying that distance off a tower, which sits 4 or 5 feet ahead of the tow hook off the back of the boat. Looked to me like you could take another few feet off the rope.

You're driver needs some better speed control as well. almost every cut the wake was a different size, tells me that the boat was changing speeds. This is one of the most important aspects of wakeboarding. Bad driver=bad day on the lake imo. A good tip for making minor adjustments in speed is to move the throttle with just 2 fingers rather then full fist. I tend to just give the handle a little tap(but my throttle is rather stiff). As little as 15 rpm's can make all the difference in the world. You're shooting for 20-24 mph depending on what speed you're comfy with.
IceMountian

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savage3221 wrote:
Not bad, your cuts are actually pretty good for your first bit of wake jumping. The main thing that I saw was that you were letting off of your edge before you get to the wake, and are "coasting" into the wake with the residual speed from your initial cut.

The only issue with this is that you need to be constantly accelerating to the point that your fastest point in the cut should be at the very top of the wake. Your first half of a cut looks wonderful, don't change that, just keep accelerating (doesn't have to be drastic, but definitely needs to be there). This is called the Progressive Edge, you will probably come across it frequently. Keep your edge strong all the way through the wake, keep your legs strong against it so that you launch upward versus suck the wake's energy up with your knees (you aren't doing this, just remember it in case you ever start to).

Thanks, I think Im letting off because Im not sure what to expect when I jump the whole wake, so I kinda chicken out and stop cutting. Ill try to keep a constant cut on my edge so I can get some air. Thanks again. Smile

Enygma wrote:
I also think you should play with the trim a bit to clean up the wake. Generally I can trim 1/4 up if I have a couple people in the front of the boat. it really cleans the wake up and makes it nicer. remember not to play with the trim over 1500 rpms though. I tend to trim up and pull a guy, if the boat starts to bounce I slow to a crawl and adjust as needed.
Also when people talk about rope lengths, they're generally saying that distance off a tower, which sits 4 or 5 feet ahead of the tow hook off the back of the boat. Looked to me like you could take another few feet off the rope.
You're driver needs some better speed control as well. almost every cut the wake was a different size, tells me that the boat was changing speeds. This is one of the most important aspects of wakeboarding. Bad driver=bad day on the lake imo. A good tip for making minor adjustments in speed is to move the throttle with just 2 fingers rather then full fist. I tend to just give the handle a little tap(but my throttle is rather stiff). As little as 15 rpm's can make all the difference in the world. You're shooting for 20-24 mph depending on what speed you're comfy with.

We tried messing with the trim, but it seems to make the wake bubble more. Ill also try to shorten up the rope a bit and see what happens. I dont think the wake style is so much the driver, but more of the boat. You have to constantly be adjusting the throttle in our boat to keep me in that 22-23mph zone. The boat isnt planed yet, which it is trying to do, at that speed so that front is still up in the air more than it should be. Its a 22ft Chaparral. When Im getting pulled I can see the wake edge and usually go thumbs up or down from there.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into changing the prop on your boat to a 5 blade 17-18p. That would help lots with getting up on plane and holding speed. Also some weight in the front of your boat would help too.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enygma wrote:

You're shooting for 20-24 mph depending on what speed you're comfy with.

I respectfully disagree. How fast have you been riding, anyway? Looks fast to me. I think you should be trying to ride in the 18-20MPH range. I understand the "trying to get on plane" problem the I/O presents, but it can be worked out. That Chap should be able to do it unless it is underpowered. l have a 22' Four Winns I/O and I have zero problems, but I also have a Bravo 3 with the dual props so low speeds are not really a problem for me. Try JeffreyCH's suggestion to change props. It will make a HUGE difference.

With an I/O, trim is important. I'm confused on the advice above about trimming above 1500 RPMS. I've never heard that one before. Every boat is different, and even that boat's "happy place" for the trim level at 18 MPH will change quite a bit at 21 MPH. Start all the way down and ride in the 19-20MPH range, trimming it up in small increments until you get the cleanest and best lip on the wake. You can trim it all you want, and that Chap probably has a trim limit switch on it anyway so that you can't trim it that far up while at cruising speeds.

And definitely shorten the rope. You can always move it back later on. If you shorten it up, the wake will be narrower and you'll start hitting your w2w's easier and build confidence. Then you can move back and repeat.

Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any i/o I ever been in has a warning right on the trim, on the dash or in the book saying expilictly DO NOT USE THE TRIM OVER 1500 RPMS. It put excessive strain on the leg and can cause big damage. That's where I got that warning from...our trim button had broken and somwhow turned itself on causing a blow solenoid . It was a simple cheap fix once we got it home, but when you're trying to figure out how to trim up in pitch black night so you can get it home when your trim isn't working at all...well, it's not very fun.

And I agree that each boat will be different for speed. Behind my folks glascon I ride at 21 mph. Behind my buddies reinel(spelling?) I ride at 25 mph...at least according to the speedos. 18 MPH is terrible slow though, on any boat the wake is washing out at 45 feet already. On each boat I ride at 60 feet from the tower.

I also have to disagree on the prop change. A simple and FREE solution to help the boat plane out is to find a couple fat girls and sit them in the bow:P or get 4 hotties and do the same. If your whole boat load of people is sitting at the back of an I/O it wont plane and it will bounce a LOT with the trim even slightly up. I only say to go for the free solution as it doesn't seem like a $500 high 5 is a solution TC is looking for..
IceMountian

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH wrote:
You might want to look into changing the prop on your boat to a 5 blade 17-18p. That would help lots with getting up on plane and holding speed. Also some weight in the front of your boat would help too.

Ill try changing the prop and adding some weight to the front. Ill just have all my friends pack the boat so they can watch me faceplant, although the girls dont weigh much, so I dont know how much a difference they will make. Im actually going to try and ride with my neighbor, he has a malibu and hopefully he can give me some pointers too. I see him doing tantrums all the time, but thats about all.
pet575 wrote:
I respectfully disagree. How fast have you been riding, anyway? Looks fast to me. I think you should be trying to ride in the 18-20MPH range. I understand the "trying to get on plane" problem the I/O presents, but it can be worked out. That Chap should be able to do it unless it is underpowered. l have a 22' Four Winns I/O and I have zero problems, but I also have a Bravo 3 with the dual props so low speeds are not really a problem for me. Try JeffreyCH's suggestion to change props. It will make a HUGE difference.
With an I/O, trim is important. I'm confused on the advice above about trimming above 1500 RPMS. I've never heard that one before. Every boat is different, and even that boat's "happy place" for the trim level at 18 MPH will change quite a bit at 21 MPH. Start all the way down and ride in the 19-20MPH range, trimming it up in small increments until you get the cleanest and best lip on the wake. You can trim it all you want, and that Chap probably has a trim limit switch on it anyway so that you can't trim it that far up while at cruising speeds.
And definitely shorten the rope. You can always move it back later on. If you shorten it up, the wake will be narrower and you'll start hitting your w2w's easier and build confidence. Then you can move back and repeat.

Honestly, it doesnt feel that fast to me. The driver says about 22mph maybe 23mph. I wish I could ride at 18-20 but the wake just get white washed and it seems like im going to slow, I think I would be more ballsy at those speeds. About the rope, I see every one riding at ~70ft but it seems like, on my boat, thats waaaay to long. I pulled it in to 55ft but Ill pull it in again to 50 or 45ft, which hopefully I should be able to jump it.
Enygma wrote:
Any i/o I ever been in has a warning right on the trim, on the dash or in the book saying expilictly DO NOT USE THE TRIM OVER 1500 RPMS. It put excessive strain on the leg and can cause big damage. That's where I got that warning from...our trim button had broken and somwhow turned itself on causing a blow solenoid . It was a simple cheap fix once we got it home, but when you're trying to figure out how to trim up in pitch black night so you can get it home when your trim isn't working at all...well, it's not very fun.
And I agree that each boat will be different for speed. Behind my folks glascon I ride at 21 mph. Behind my buddies reinel(spelling?) I ride at 25 mph...at least according to the speedos. 18 MPH is terrible slow though, on any boat the wake is washing out at 45 feet already. On each boat I ride at 60 feet from the tower.

I also have to disagree on the prop change. A simple and FREE solution to help the boat plane out is to find a couple fat girls and sit them in the bow:P or get 4 hotties and do the same. If your whole boat load of people is sitting at the back of an I/O it wont plane and it will bounce a LOT with the trim even slightly up. I only say to go for the free solution as it doesn't seem like a $500 high 5 is a solution TC is looking for..

I usually dont have alot of people on the boat when I'm wakeboarding. Just usually the driver passenger and myself. I either go early in the morning, when everyone is still passed out from the night before, later at night, when people are eating dinner, or when there aren't too many boats out (which is when everyone comes with.) I always bring my board and rope just in case but my lake can get pretty choppy in the middle of a nice sunny day.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceMountian, That was another thing I was going to comment on, the water you are riding is pretty ruff. I have problems holding a good progressive edge when it's choppy.
IceMountian

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffreyCH, Lol that was on a smooth day. It actually wasn't that bad, there were only a couple of fishing boats out but most of the ripples was from the wind, we had a storm coming in that day. I wish it looked like glass, that would be pretty sick. Very Happy
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inboard boats seem to throw the wake further back, especially when they get weighted down. I wouldn't be too worried about making the rope longer anyways. A longer rope just allows for a longer cut away from the wake which means more speed for bigger tricks. But you need the wake to match, they go hand in hand.

I would play around with weight distribution before spending anything on a prop change. Even just 300lbs in the front would make the difference you need. 5 blade prop will make for a better hole shot and better speed control but if all your weight is in the back you'll still have problems planeing an I/O. This is why I'm spending a couple hundred for fats sacks to drop under the front seats when I'm low on people for weight. I also have a 3 blade prop(not sure of pitch) and I just sit my sisters in the bow.

I'm just trying to save your $ as your just starting on the sport and who knows if you'll even stick with it...also I live in a really windy area of southern alberta. Always choppy water but you work with what you got I guess.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to recap:

1. ALWAYS start adding weight to the bow of an I/O and work your way back. This includes people. Avoid letting anyone sit in any place but the bow until it is full, then work backwards.

2. You can't really compare an I/O to an inboard when it comes to rope length, riding speed, or weight required. I/O's are an entirely different animal and you have to adjust each one in its own different way. Best thing to do is get your weight where you want it, throw your rope in the water, and get your speed where you want to ride (and don't trust any speedo without a paddlewheel-they can be 5MPH higher than actual speed-get someone with a GPS or a smartphone with a GPS app to tell you how fast you're really going when your speedo says 22MPH). Then, take a look back at the wake, trim as necessary to clean it up as much as you can. Lastly, adjust the rope length so that the handle is the same distance back as the best lip of the wake-just before it starts to roll over.

3. A 4 or 5 blade prop WILL make a huge difference in holeshot and in holding lower speeds better, but start with 1 and 2 before you spend that kind of money.

4. DO use the trim while holding the same speed to get rid of some of that wash on the wake. Riding at 18-20 with the outdrive all the way down WILL give you tons of wash, but you can clean it up with adjustment to the trim level.

Enygma, I don't think you and I are talking about the same thing. I think you are referring to running the motor up PAST the trim limit positions and all the way up into trailering position and I completely agree with you on that. However, there is nothing wrong with trimming the motor from the all the way down position to the highest position that the trim limit switch will allow (which is usually somewhere in the 1/4-1/3 up range) while underway. That is the whole point of having the trim function and it is completely fine to use it while running anywhere from 1K to WOT RPMS.

Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm, maybe it is referring to the trailer position. it was our trailer switch that had broken, but it never got the trim high enough. it would make the connection randomly but not hold it and it blew a solenoid on the trim motor.

anyways, everything pet said is what you want to do. and sorry pet if i was coming off as a dick, most of the time when i get on here it's 3 am or so and im on my way to bed:P

I would even go as far as to suggest fat sacks under the front seats before a new prop, especially if you're riding with fewer people. 2 350 lb sack and a pump with all the attachments needed in my local shops is about $220. That is likely quite a bit more expensive then around most other areas...
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enygma, no worries dude. Sounds like we are talking about the same thing, so IceMountian should be squared away pretty well with the info he needs.
IceMountian

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, this info should help alot. Ill post some progress next time I get out there. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: