Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

**homemade wakeboard**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evernine

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: **homemade wakeboard** Reply with quote

ive seen lots of people build wakeskates and skimboard, but has anyone ever built a wakeboard? id prob use the same design concept of the thin ply in layers and build it a 3 stage rocker. Use t nuts built into the board for mounting the bindings...lemi know what you think...
jondextan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from purely wood?
LakeIolaLuke
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Lake Iola/Orlando

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea, that way you can get exactly the ride characteristics you're looking for in you own custom board. A better idea is to make sure you film yourself the first time you ride it and post it up here.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeIolaLuke wrote:
A better idea is to make sure you film yourself the first time you ride it and post it up here.

ya i would have to see that. the way boards are made is a "foam" sandwiched between fiberglass layers. much like a surfboard. if you were going to make it all out of wood, it would weigh a crap ton and be harder to controll. just my .02
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do this to make a board for my daughter. I see no reason to spend money on a child's board that she will out grow. I was going to do exactly as you described but reinforce the T-nuts to spread out the force. Weight could be saved by using balsa layers and then fiberglass the board with maybe a stronger wood around the t-nuts.

I would only do it for fun, as it would be hard to mimic/achieve the technology that is in the boards today. That said, there is no reason why it wouldn't work.
beretta5spd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nipawin,SK, Canada

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't there an article in wakeworld about a 7 foot tall boarder? I believe it said he had to make his own board, but I can't remember for sure. I'll check when get home.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen at least one home-made board at the cable park. Didn't really ask about it/take a good look but it seemed to be wood (not sure what kind) wrapped with fiberglass. It works, but the durability/performance won't be good.
evernine

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at the foam core idea, with wrap it in fibreglass, i would have to find some high high density foam to use as the core and wrap it in fibreglass to give it strength and durability. But then attaching the t nuts would we more difficult, otherwise i could use a small lagg screw to mount the bindings. Im still thinking of the balsa or like 1/8th inch ply in layers and fibreglass etc....
evernine

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at the foam core idea, with wrap it in fibreglass, i would have to find some high high density foam to use as the core and wrap it in fibreglass to give it strength and durability. But then attaching the t nuts would we more difficult, otherwise i could use a small lagg screw to mount the bindings. Im still thinking of the balsa or like 1/8th inch ply in layers and fibreglass etc....
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skate I made was 4 or 5 sheets of 1/8 covered in resin with no glass and it is pretty heavy. Maybe go with top and bottom 1/8 ply with the internal layers of balsa. Then have some 1/8 ply around the t-nuts in the internal layer. Of course if it still has to be wrapped in glass you maybe better off going with all balsa, but balsa isn't cheap.

Keep us posted I would love to learn from your mistakes. Laughing
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude if you're gonna go foam / fiberglass just take two bolts that would usually screw into the board and reverse them, lay it right into the glass. Then when it's all cured and you want to attach the bindings set the bindings onto the bolts that are sticking up off the board and put a nut on behind it. You can't adjust stance, but you said it's for your little girl so who cares.

It's either that or trying to lay a nut perfectly into the fiberglass but if it were me and I were just dinking around, I'd lay the bolts into the fiberglass effectively making a reverse mount binding system. Grease the bolt threads only and wrap them in celofane before you lay it in the glass / resin so you don't hose up the threads on it.

Then again if I were going simple I'd make a very exaggerated 3 stage rocker. Just cut one piece of wood for the middle and do the t-nut idea, or the bolt idea laid out above. Then cut the nose and tail pieces (wood again) with angles on the edges. If you've got a finish nailer, nail them in place just to hold and then reinforce with glass matting over the top. (brush resin on the wood first and before it cures, lay down some matting and then lay a heavy layer of resin again, then layer 2 or 3 more layers of glass in this fashion). It will be "heavy", but it will also be bouyant. And it's only for a mini project anyway. So in the end your board would literally look like:

\____/ = but make it less angled Wink

Also if you started with balsa wood I don't think in the end it would be that heavy, but I'd consider laying a few extra layers of fiberglass to make sure it's durable enough.

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678 wrote:
I see no reason to spend money on a child's board that she will out grow.

Becuase you'll probably spend as much or more on materials as you would on a closeout kid's board? Wink

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make a wakeskate one time. Yeah it can be done with the right tools and you have some bragging rights but in the end your going to save time and money buying something thats going to have alot more quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: