Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

diy pole

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjcj3a

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: diy pole Reply with quote

first post here so bare with me.

i bought a 16ft glastron gs 160(outboard) last spring. dad skied years ago, and i was starting to wakeboard before all the boats in the family got sold.

so long story short, i took some fence post(metal) 3 tie down straps and made myself a pylon. worked good.

problem is whenever i get behind it(6'3 255lbs) i feel like im going to pull the whole boat over. the back straps become really slack and i dont feel like i can really get a good start into the wake.

I'm thinking the front tie down strap has too much give in it? which is causing me to pull on it like i do. wondering if anyone has this problem?

ive seen people use cable up front and im gonna try that when it warms up, but figured i would ask on here if anyone has a suggestion?

also, what can i do with an outboard to increase wave size and structure?

thanks for any help.

p.s. yes i realize im 255 and thats alot of the give in the tie down problem Razz
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta post pics of this. I wanna see this pylon. Very Happy
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjcj3a, i used to have a 16' glastron as well. the best thing you can do to make the wake better is take friends with you. in a boat that small, sacks just get in the way. i have tried. for the pylon, i would use a cable for the front, rember to put foam or a rag where it touches the bow. and i would also lay a piece of plywood down to help reinforce the floor. (the floors are not that thick) other than that, make sure the weight is distributed evenly, and have some fun.
xjcj3a

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a picture of it. we cover the tie downs with basically pool noodles to stop them from vibrating in the wind. the base of it is slide into a smaller 8inch long pipe that is attached to a wooden base that slides in behind the seats.
LS1_SE7EN
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tighten the front strap.
xjcj3a

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we tightened it as far as it would go before popping(hard to explain) thinking the cable may do the trick
dbismyname
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clarksville

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more hardcore straps and alot more force down on em. You don't want any slack going into your back straps. Once you swap to cable up front you need to crank your back straps as hard as you can physically crank without using any tools.
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna, British Columbia

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one of these 2 summers ago for a friends boat. Using muffler pipe and a hitch ball.

I used pre-cut lengths of winch cable for the back 2 anchors, make sure you cut those to the exact lenght so the pylon stands straight up with maybe a degree of forward lean for when your boat planes. (Too much lean and you risk the pole sliding when edging or pulling you out.)

and 1 big hefty strap and a choke for the nose of the boat.

I found with using 3 straps it was such a hassle to get the pylon tightened properly. Would take like 3 people to do it properly. with the cables you can just set them, and winch the nose strap tight. Way easier.

Some ratchet strap have far too weak of a mechanism to support the forces at play. Although the strap itself is fine. So be sure to use a really good ratchet mechanism for the nose.

You can find all the necessary parts at your hardware store.
Just make sure your baseplate runs |ACROSS| the floor stringers

I'll get some pictures up of mine as soon as possible.
wiley_coyote
Criminal
Criminal

City: Vernal

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar setup for my first boat. I also used ratchet straps I just got heavy duty ones that didn't flex at all. Ratchet those things down so they don't move. Using cable for the two sides would be a good idea.

As far as pulling the boat from side to side when you cut, there is nothing you can do besides change your riding style. The boat is just too small so your going to pull it when you cut. Try to take a more mellow cut out and see if this helps.
xjcj3a

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not so much pulling the boat around. its not feeling secure in pulling because of how the straps give. im going to try new straps and maybe cable when the weather allows(you know like may) and if that doesnt work grab me a diytower or aerial off of ebay. the added tunes and storage would help to
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll find that once you replace the rear straps with cables it will be alot stiffer.

Only one thing to worry about is after a few rides the cables will stretch a little so make sure you can adjust them.
And like the previous post said you cant really do anything about pulling side to side, the boat just cant handle the force that far back. You can try shortening the rope a couple feet to reduce the pull a little bit.
Kip

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the same setup for the last few years on a 18 I/O and a 21 inboard. We used a 3000 lb ratchet strap for the front and two 1500 lb straps for the rear. I weigh 260 and never had any problems with it feeling unsafe. I know with the I/O we had to leave the outdrive trimmed all the way down or it would jerk the boat around a little.

"curtblanchette" I definitely like the idea of the winch cable for the back two tie downs. I'm going to have to hit the hardware store before spring.
WakeboardNJ
Criminal
Criminal

City: Avalon, NJ

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wakeboardnj.com/projects/homebuiltpole.htm
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakeboardNJ wrote:
http://www.wakeboardnj.com/projects/homebuiltpole.htm

I Like that
wakemads
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sønderborg Denmark

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We solved it a bit different. built a hybrid between a tower and a pole.

A tower in aluminum, with a alu bar going out to the front lifting ring. and then strapped down to the pole with a 3000kg strap.

has worked now without any problems for 4 or 5 seasons.

However has just bought a prober tower with boardracks etc. got tiered of having to haul the Pole around everytime we had to go boarding. plus it takes up a lot of space, with this tower boards and fat sacks in the boat.

Just som pics of the setup for your viewing pleasure.

If any are interested, I can take some pics of just the pole/tower out of the boat.

mads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: