Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Getting my parts together to build a tower.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeptchr

City: St. Joe

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Getting my parts together to build a tower. Reply with quote

I have a '90 206 Captiva Cuddy that I've decided I'm going to keep around for at least one more season, we really started to get into the wakeboarding this last season so I've been studying tower designs this winter.

I build roll cages and bumpers for jeeps and other vehicles occasionally as a hobby, so I'm pretty well versed with the fab side of things, I've really been digging the Samson Edge tower, I think that's what I'm going to go with. I photoshopped the tower and changed some of the angles slightly, What do you guys think? the front view is a different boat with just the colors p'shopped on, to show the angles of the cage. I have the ability to roll the tubing also, but I think the boat lends itself to the angles rather than the curves. thoughts?

Couple of questions.... what should the height be for the pull point, either from the deck or the water line?

I don't have Tig access where I'm at currently, and I'm used to bending cages out of steel, so I'm figuring I'll use ERW 2" .083 steel tubing. that should keep my weight down (less that 2lb a foot). when I cut out and side load, i weigh 210lbs, should that structure be strong enough for side loading. (I usually only work with .120 wall)

which brings me to the folding parts of the design, diywake.com has them in aluminum, but for convienice of fabrication I'm looking for the half lap's and weld joints in steel. any sources? or cad drawings? or an way to mount the alum parts to the steel. (Clean and Elegant )? I know my front pivots (clevis type around an high misalignment bushing will be custom machinework, unless I find a source somwhere.

Any thoughts, comments, criticism on any of it?

Thanks in advance,
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side view photo you did looks pretty good. Following the line of the windshield and doing a slope that looks natural is about right. Most tow points seem to be 7-8' of the deck. Usually it's a stretch for me to reach to put the rope on and I'm 5'-10". Get the height up there where it looks natural on the boat and allows clearance for you to walk under without bumping your head. Keep in mind that you might want to mount speakers on the underside.

Sounds like you have most everything else figured out. Maybe others will chime in on tube wall thickness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: