Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Schools in St. Pete + Learning Process

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Schools in St. Pete + Learning Process Reply with quote

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and finally getting in to kiteboarding. It seemed too expensive to me but now that I think about how much I'll save on gas/cable park passes I figure it will pay for itself. Not to mention I don't need a whole crew and/or take a long drive to the cable park just to ride.

I always see/hear some horror stories from people who got ripped off from some kite 'schools' and I want to make sure I pick the right one in the area. Does anyone know of a solid school in St. Pete?

Also, what is the learning curve? Growing up growing up I sailed and I have some experience with a trainer kite so I've got a decent idea of the wind; and I have good board skills from wakeboarding/the cable park. I know that it's different for everyone but I'm only available on weekends to take lessons and I'd like to know how long it'll be until I can pack up my car and head out to the beach myself after work during the week!
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will pick it up very quickly. The only real learning curve for you will be scenario stuff, like relaunching, etc. Like most sports like this, it's easy to learn, but hard to master. It's the most amazing thing you will do on your wakeboard. The only thing that will slow down your learning is mother nature. Like surfing, you can only go when mother nature says it's time. You will prob only need one lesson, then you could have at it on your own time. It won't get really fun til you get the hang of taching upwind, but your sailing background should get you dialed in a couple of weeks, if your schedule and mother natures line up!

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
mneal
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: St. Petersburg

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a lot of wakeboard equipment from local board shop and a guy that works there does kiteboarding and I think he does classes.

Call John @ Watersports West, he is a good dude.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, Thanks for the info! I can't wait to start. I'm working on a list of everything I own that I can sell on ebay and make some extra cash! Very Happy

mneal, Thanks. I keep hearing Watersports West is a great place to start. Everyone says good things.
SeanCarmichael

City: Tampa

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mneal, Thanks. I keep hearing Watersports West is a great place to start. Everyone says good things.

Not everyone, I would look at some other options, You may have a better expierience w/ triton kiteboarding www.tritonkiteboarding.com

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanCarmichael, I'm guessing you might work for them?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to do a quick follow-up. Watersports West was awesome. REALLY knowledgeable staff and they are good teachers too so you retain the information you need to know. They have some of the gear setup in the shop to give you some hands-on time, which helps a lot.
They focus on safety and understanding how to work the equipment in emergency situations, they obviously can't cover everything because emergencies happen when they're unexpected, but still, I felt comfortable locking myself in to a kite for the first time.
They also gave me a great deal on some of last year's gear that was on sale which was a huge help with my tight budget.

I definitely recommend anyone in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area to check these guys out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: