Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

making a wakeskate board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
homelandairtap
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: making a wakeskate board Reply with quote

alot of wakeskates are made out of wood and i was wondering if anyone has ever built one or know of anyone who has or has seen any thing about it. i am a longboarder and people are always making longboards so i was thinking about constructing them the same way they do it and press some plys together in a mold.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it has been taken down, there is some info on the web about how to do it. If people just wanted a continuous rocker they would put something at either end the height of the desired rocker and put weight in the middle. If you want a specific rocker then build a jig; however, if you don't get it right you have to build another jig. If you are going to make a bunch, it may be worth building an adjustable rocker table like hollow wood surfboard builders use (I can you help you out with this should you go this route).

Here is the one I built:
http://chattwake.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wakeskating&action=display&thread=80
The jig is in the background of the first picture, which you can have if you live close enough to Chattanooga to pick up, Laughing .

Basic steps:
Cut layers to oversize rectangles makeing enough to acheive desired thickness.
Glue layers together using weights or jig.
Optional: Glue additional pieces to shape in concave deck.
Cut outline, shape rails, (shape concave deck)
Drill hole for fin if using that type otherwise glass on fin.
Cover with a couple coats of epoxy.
Add grip tape or foam to top.

Some things to remember:
1/8" plywood bends easier and takes less pressure to get it to shape and also has less potential to spring back some and loose a little of the rocker. This is what I used and it worked really well. I made the whole board out of one sheet.
Some use epoxy to glue the layers together. If not using a jig this maybe the way to go as it requires very little clamping pressure but is expensive. It also provides additional water protection to the internal layers, but I figured if your outer epoxy coat wasn't good you would be screwed anyway. I used titebond 3. Gorrilla Glue would work well, but it is more expensive and a pain to spread. With titebond 3, I used a foam brush to ensure glue covered the contact surface.
I used the bondo polyester resin found at Home Depot/Lowes for the outside and killed a few brain cells in the process. I would highly reccomend using epoxy resin.

Hopefully that will get you started. Let me know if you have any question or want some different pictures of my jig. Also, if adding a concave deck I can give you some pointers to avoid some of the issues I had. I also may have the layout of how I cut a part the 4X8 sheet to get all the necissary pieces, but will have to look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: