Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

1988 Sea Ray Seville

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: 1988 Sea Ray Seville Reply with quote

Just thought I would share some pictures of my boat and the changes I have made to it. About a month ago I bought my first boat a 1988 sea ray seville. Overall it was in good shape, however the carpet was faded and coming up in places and the seats were beginning to rip. So i replaced the carpet with a dark green indoor/outdoor, bought new lounge seats from overtons, and my mom reupholstered the bow and jumps seats.

I also thought i could spuce up the outside with a nice new decal. The decal resembles what you would see on a nice new wakeboard boat. but since i dont have that money yet, I went with the cool looking decal.

i still have to reupholster the engine cover and the back flip up thing. hopefully that will get done soon since im spending the week at my PA house.

let me know what you guys think!

before:

after:

before:

after:

decal:

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
crashhappy
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Acworth

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFwakeboardDiva, Nice work!

{The Black Pearl}
SilverMustang35
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Johnson City

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job! Looks good...
19woody64

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same boat in about the same shape as your original pictures and I was thinking of having it reupholstered and recarpeted. Is there a lot of work in that and what did it cost if you don't mind telling me. I was wondering how much value do you think you add to the boat by doing that too. The boat looks GREAT!!! Very Happy
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey... well my mom did all the coushin reupholstering, and i cant quite remember how much it cost us. but we went to a fabric store and bought some marine grade vinyl, made our patterns out of the old seats, and then my mom worked her magic on the sewing machine.

the two lounge seats for the driver and passenger i bought at overtons.com. the were perfect except the base of the seats was pretty tall. so i took my dremel and cut the base down maybe about 4 inches. then i mounted the seats over the original base of the existing seats. I cut off the sides of the original seat base so I had a flat base to attach the new seats to.

The carpet I bought at home depot. I wanna say I about about 17 feet. and I think it cost me about $100 or so. I thought that i was gonna have a lot of carpet extra but it ended up being just about perfect. I had to put the carpet inside the little cubbies on the side of the boat and places other than just the floor.

as far as value to the boat, Im not sure. This is my first boat that I bought last summer when I was 18. I bought it for $2,000 out the door which included the trailer as well.

When I first bought the boat, it has a funky designed yellow decal on the side. I began with the interior reupholstering first and worked my way to the outside where i replaced the yellow decal with the sea ray decal. One day I was out on the lake, my family was in my boat relaxing while i was out cruising on the jet ski, when a man came over to the boat and was like "this is my old boat, i would have never known it if it werent for the yellow decal still on the side, the interior looks amazing, you did such a great job" and so on. My mom and dad told me all about the guy and how he was so impressed with it when i finally came back.

I still have some more ideas for the boat, like simple silver pinstripes where the yellow is now, but i am so please with the outcome of the redo and i absolutely love having my boat that i can take out without my parents permission and being 19 now its so awesome to call myself a boat owner.
19woody64

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first boat too and I was trying to decide if I want to have it redone or not. My father-in-law use to run an upholstery shop but he doesn't want to do it anymore. I have an estimate of $2000 to have the seats redone and the carpet replaced. I will have to decide because I could trade it for something newer but I know what I have now since I've had this boat for a year and I don't want to possibly buy someone elses "headache" if it had problems. Do you have any completed pic's of your boat? I would like to see the finished product since it wasn't complete when you took your original photos.
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually dont have any pictures of the back seats/engine/flip up thingy....but the engine cover is covered in all white vinyl and then about half way up from the botoom the covered it with carpet like the original. the jump seat coushins are white with a green square very similar to the lounge seats i bought. i tried to mimic them. and the flip up thing is all white with a patch of green in the middle over the engine cover. Ill try to get some pictures closer to spring when I uncover it from the winter.

I bought the lounge seats from overtons and i really like them. they really freshened up the interior and then i modeled the rest of the upholstery after them. I got 2 seats for about $400 or so because I had a coupon.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74660&pdesc=Overtons_Premium_Lounge_Boat_Seat&cname=Lounge-Boat-Seats&aID=601C1&merchID=1009&r=view

I think its up to you whether or not you want to put the hours into it and the labor. Personally i really enjoyed working on it and making it my own. The carpet took me about a day and a half to get down and the seats took longer because we did a little at a time.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really impressive. Nice work! Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks HHI Dave, still have some more little things to do to it. but im really happy with the way it turned out and its not to bad of a first boat for me, especially since im only 19 now.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. I bet you're anxious for spring so you can get it out on the water, eh?
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i'm definitly excited for this summer to progress my riding. i had the opportunity at the end of last summer to ride behind a friends brand new nautique. it was awesome. i was able to get alot of air and work on my technique. so im really excited to get to ride behind my boat again and hopefull try out for my local marinas wakeboard team
scottiekarate17
Criminal
Criminal

City: ithaca

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honestly, how hard was this project. I'm thinking about re-doing the seats in my boat. Any advice???
homelandairtap
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im real picky about decals but i like this the one you put on
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...i myself really did the carpet laying.
my mom did all the reupoholstering. we took the old seat covers off and cut them at the seams so we could make a pattern out of them. then we traced the pattern on the new vinyl and sewed it all together.

if you or someone you know is good at sewing it should be pretty easy. it was much cheaper than having a shop do them.

the lounge seats were beyond repairable because the wood was rotten and not attached, which is why i went with new lounge seats. i like them a whole lot better than the original seats that were in the boat

the carpet, i just bought some indoor/outdoor carpet at home depot. I think i bought about 17 or 18 feet in length, it comes 12 feet wide standard. It cost me right around $100 or so. I laid the carpet down starting from the middle of the boat. where my gas tank is. and worked my way to the sides. then i went up into the bow and in the back by the jump seats. I didnt use glue or anything, just tacked it down with some very small nails. I may at a later time do some glue.

just make sure you lay the carpet down first before making any drastic cuts. make sure you have enough to cover the sides and up in the bow and stuff. then once you know you have it placed right, then you can begin cutting any major amount of carpets from the side. i started like i said from the middle and made my way to each side. placing small nails every so often so it stayed in place.

i wouldnt say that either project is very difficult, just time consuming. especially the seats because you have to make the patterns, trace them, and then measure out about 1/4" around each template so you can sew the pieces together. but if you or someone you know sews, they will know how to make the seat covers.
scottiekarate17
Criminal
Criminal

City: ithaca

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright. One last question. In the bow of the boat, you re-did the backs of the bow seats. How do you remove that side pannel. I can't figure out how to do it on my boat
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the backs were not redone. i just used a mr. clean magic eraser and they cleaned up pretty good.

the decal was a tough choice, i wasnt sure if it was going to be big enough but when i laid it on it, it seemed to be just about perfect for the size of my boat. i think that it makes the boat look newer. and better than the yellow original graphic.
islandman

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Sea Ray Decal Reply with quote

I love the Sea Ray decal! I have an identical green '89
Sea Ray except mine is an outboard. Can you tell me where or how to get a decal like yours. It really brings the old boat into the 21 century.
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-SEA-RAY-Boat-Graphic-Decal-Sticker-Tribal-12-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c03588b77QQitemZ120315218807QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

thats the exact one i got. If you check out the guys store and other ebay items, there are different designs and you can choose to use 2 colors as well.

hope you get one for your boat. it really makes it look new!
19woody64

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever get any pictures of your boat after you finished it that you can post?
LFwakeboardDiva
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet...but now that the weather is getting nicer here i will be taking off the winter cover and getting it ready for summer very soon. once im up to my pa house i will definitely get those pictures for you guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Share Your Boat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: