Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Building a slider! Design Pics inside. Please comment!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna, British Columbia

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Building a slider! Design Pics inside. Please comment!!!! Reply with quote

So This is my design. the idea was taken from a previous post i just tweaked it a bit and am hoping your input will help me get this thing in the water a little faster.

[/img]
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going for something lightweight and maneuverable but still strong w/ enough support to stay in place. I've gone with steal tube uprights sunk into lake bottom so that i know its stationary. The slide-able 2x4 supports will be placed around each upright, or every 2nd upright, crossing the rail horizontally and set in place with the set screw shown then anchored with sand bags. This should keep the rail from moving to much side to side when your smashing into it.

tell me what you think!
Channelwake

City: West Islip

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtblanchette, that is a great idea, I am making a slider myself. I would like to see what it looks like once you made it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bro. I still haven't started the build yet Mad still searching for a location on our lake thats shallow enough. I think i'll start it this week and post pics.

That PVC tube slider those guys built is a good beginner slider to start with and i think you should build it. As for making it lighter? You need to think of how wide your floaters are going to be, If you can manage to find some that are a little less wide you can do without the angled sides that they sheeted with ply-wood. That's just a ton of unnescessary weight. If you're worried about getting torn apart when bailing just make sure you keep everything together. Nothing sticking out. If you keep that in mind during the build you wont have to sheet over and cover up loose ends. Keep it simple and use as little materials as possible without jeopardizing strength.

PS: Stomped a tantrum yesterday... GANGSterrrrrrrrr Mr. Green
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your entire crew hit sliders before? If anyone's going to attempt it as their first slider I would want some kind of a ramp up to it.

What length is this going to be?

I've never heard of anyone doing the cross supports like you're talking about. Usually the uprights have enough rigidity to counteract any lateral forces, which should be minimal. A rider doesn't put much force on the slider other than on the Y axis and waves shouldn't hit the uprights that hard. It's a good idea but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Where are you going to install this? A slider location can be tricky with all of the various authorities out there.

curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few floating fun boxes out at a lake here that i've been riding around on for the last season or two. But our a-frame and sliders were pulled out last summer. That's why i've been trying to get something we can pull out at the end of the day so that it doesn't get confescated. Yet still be lightweight and maneuverable.

Thanks for the input on the horizontal supports> And I agree with you, there really shouldn't be much lateral force against the slider so we'll see how it holds without them first. Do you know much about the regulations towards sliders in lake's in canada?
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a floating slider is definitely the way to go, I'm not sure about Canada, but if I mounted a slider in Oklahoma without permission from the COEs I would likely see a hefty fine.
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that is a valid point. I hear if you put private property signs on a floater it's classified as a "Raft". I'm not sure if that applies to Canadian standards but that's word on the street. Cool
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:

What length is this going to be?

Where are you going to install this? A slider location can be tricky with all of the various authorities out there.

I was planning on making 2 of those at 10 feet and attach them together.
As for location. It's on a very big long lake with lots of undeveloped lakefront. So finding a quiet spot might not be too hard
BPN11

City: Birmingham

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: floaters Reply with quote

where can i buy/get some floaters? I have built a slider but i dont know where i would be able to get some floaters. And how much are they if you know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: