Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Direct Drive vs V-Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Direct Drive vs V-Drive Reply with quote

Hey guys. I am trying to find a boat to upgrade to.

I've been looking at this forum
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59748

to get a idea of good boats for wakeboarding. My question is what is the biggest difference between direct drive and v-drive. I know the difference mechanically and all. But i mean like with performance wise. Does one do better then the other. I really like the lay out of the Vdrives compared to the Direct Drives.
dbismyname
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clarksville

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-drives have a warp drive option and dd don't

but for reals some dds are built on the same hull as their vdrive counterparts. Biggest difference is the ability to add weight out of the way due to the seating layout of a vdrive. You can add the same amount of weight to a dd (depending on freeboard and motor of course) as you can to a similar sized vdrive it's just gonna be bags all over the floor. But if you're not really concerned about the seating layout or adding a shizton of weight then a dd can be a much more affordable option for you. If you plan on having 12-14 people in your boat on the holidays or even more often than that then spend the extra money and get a vdrive. Hope that helps some
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. That is what i was looking for. I just also didn't know if a DD planed out faster since the motor was more toward the front or if there wasn't much of a difference. Thanks for the help again.
Sandbagger
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to wakeboard get a vdrive, no question, better wake out of the box period. u can ad weight to anything but a vdrive will deliver the best wake out of the box. The dd will drive like a sportscar compared to a vdrive though.
--cresko--
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from a response to a VLX. Your asking a real biased crowd here. Performance DD all the way, the response LX was a damn ferrari on water. Wake and board sports alike, V drive. Not much else to say.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a DD to a V-drive this last summer and wouldn't go back - I do have to admit the wake on the DD was quite a bit more mellow and excellent to learn on- the entire fam took up boarding and got serious so we upgraded to the V-drive and went with a Malibu - I do have to admit that the maintenance and accessability of the engine on the DD was quite a bit easier. it's all about preference - Like someone said earlier you'll have sacs all over the place to weigh down the boat and I agree you'll be able to get into a DD a bit cheaper then the V-Drive - if I had to do it all over again I would've went straight to the V-drive.
5280Hawk
Criminal
Criminal

City: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way, theres is non such thing as a NEW Direct Drive wakeboat anymore. They are all V-drives.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owned both. performance wise there is no difference imo. although my DD did come out of the hole harder and plane quicker

the reason all the wake boats went to V drive is convience. sun deck for chics, more room in the cab for partying with more chics. Laughing
kinda the same reason vans no longer have the motor sitting between the front passengers. people just dont want them in the way.

the v drive does make it easy place for rear bags though. on the flip side because of its unbalanced nature, the V drive will of course require more front ballast which is more difficult to hide.

maintence wise the DD wins no contest. motor access cant be beat

on a 20-25k used boat price, DD will typically save you $3-5k over same year/manufacture v drive price (ie like moomba LS vs LSV)

disclaimer: these are my thoughts and opinions from personal experience, and do not represent the views of 99% of wakeboarder.com Mr. Green flame suit on. Cool

Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Wichita

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5280Hawk wrote:
Put it this way, theres is non such thing as a NEW Direct Drive wakeboat anymore. They are all V-drives.

Not true.

Here are a few:
Outback
Mobius LS
220SP
LS1_SE7EN
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DD. Spend the money now (if you can afford it) and go v-drive unless you are a hardcore slalom skier. I wish I did. Now I have to change boats soon. I want more weight. While I don't mind bags all over the place, it sure would be nice to carry more people with hidden weight and not have the doghouse in the freaking way.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorite seating arrangements of all time. taken at the austin boat show a year ago. a wakesetter direct drive with 3 seating areas, front, mid, and rear. and no motor cover to crawl over to get on the swim platform.

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats nice, but you still loose alot of interior room compared to a v drive. if i had the dough to drop on a boat, it would be a v drive, but im not a skier. that would prolly change my mind.
5280Hawk
Criminal
Criminal

City: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredd wrote:
5280Hawk wrote:

Not true.

Here are a few:
Outback
Mobius LS
220SP

If you look at the descriptions though they are all three labeled as a Ski/Slalom/multi sport boat. What i was saying is that ALL Wakeboarding specific Boats are now V-drives because you get a Bigger wake with the 1200 lb engine sitting in the very back of the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: