Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

dslr for a teen? or something close

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: dslr for a teen? or something close Reply with quote

I'm looking for a camera for my 14 year old. She wants a dslr but the cheapest one is 500ish. Can anyone recommend a digital cam that is close to a dslr with features and options? She has a basic digi cam but wants to learn the ins and outs of photography. Thanks in advance.
dman726749

City: Avon

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if she is serious about photography then the dslr is the way to go.......learning manual control over a camera is what she is after that cant be achieved with a basic point and shoot, unless you step up to something like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643177-REG/Canon_3632B001_PowerShot_G11_Digital_Camera.html

but that is in the same price range as a basic dslr like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571144-REG/Canon_2762B003_EOS_Rebel_XS_a_k_a_.html

the lens' are where the money is at, and having the abality to upgrade at a later date is why the dslr body is going to be a better buy imho

(i am a high school photography teacher and professional shooter)

edit...woohoo my first post, and it has nothing to do with wakeboarding Laughing
beretta5spd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nipawin,SK, Canada

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan on the canon dslr's. I've used the XSi, the XTi and the 40d. If you can afford to pick up the XS or for a bit more I would get the XTi (little better for action photography) but either is a great entry. The XSi is at the higher end of "affordable" dslr's but personally I'd rather have an XTi with a killer lens than an XSi with better specs. That's just me though. I'm a 23 year old wake/snowboarder not a 14 year old high schooler. Heck it's only been 5 years since grad and I hardly remember high school. Hope that helps
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my $3,000, full frame 5D and bought a G11. It's light, portable, and has full manual function like an SLR. It has just as much to learn as a Rebel or similar.

I really like the custom setting as well. The dial has two custom setting where the user can define them. I have mine set with B&W and Sepia, I can take a shot in color, make one click and take it in B&W and another click to Sepia. You can do other settings that enhance color saturation, focus points or exposure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: