Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First time snowboarding... Lessons??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyhigh
Addict
Addict

City: Monticello

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: First time snowboarding... Lessons?? Reply with quote

Whats up guys, so here is my question.. I have been snow skiing a number of times, and am pretty good at it.. Ive been wakeboarding now for 5-6 years now, and had a ton of folks say that I really need to try snowboarding next time I go. Well I think I am going to give it a shot this year. I am just wondering if you would suggest taking a half day lesson, or just jump right into it. I really think that I could just jump right into it, but I don't want to be to naive about it.. Any input is appreciated. thanks
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend people take a lesson. The mechanics are very different from wakeboarding, especially on the heelside edge where behind a boat you can just lean on the rope. Snowboarding you have to learn to balance that edge. I was in the same situation as you 6 years back, took a half day lesson which helped a lot and was still busting my ass on every run.

Snowboarding you steer with your back foot and put your weight on your front foot. That and you really have to swing your back foot, and pretty much whole body to switch edges. Lessons are usually pretty cheap too. You want to get the most out of your trip and pick it up ASAP so you can get proficient.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyhigh, I just did this last winter. I took a 2-hour lesson, and took a pounding during it because of my wakeboard habits. However, I enjoyed the next 3.5 days of my trip and took a lot fewer falls as time went on. I don't think I'd have enjoyed myself at all if I didn't get the lesson.

Wakebrad's take is dead-on. You don't think about having to put all your weight on your front foot, and I would've never thought to do that without some instruction. It really seems like the LAST direction you would lean-especially if you are used to skiing and leaning back at times while carving or doing moguls.

As a bonus, it helps make you a better wakeboarder when you get back to that.

Get the lesson, FTW.

hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mexico

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lessons Wink
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of Texas.....I had no idea what it would be like to snowboard. I was lucky enough to have a friend that took me down the hill the first time and gave me some instruction. Next trip I will probably take an actual lesson. I suggest the lesson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in big bear ca for years was good a snowboarding yes def take lessons
SKIPPY PB

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First time snowboarding... Lessons?? Reply with quote

flyhigh wrote:
Whats up guys, so here is my question.. I have been snow skiing a number of times, and am pretty good at it.. Ive been wakeboarding now for 5-6 years now, and had a ton of folks say that I really need to try snowboarding next time I go. Well I think I am going to give it a shot this year. I am just wondering if you would suggest taking a half day lesson, or just jump right into it. I really think that I could just jump right into it, but I don't want to be to naive about it.. Any input is appreciated. thanks

Deffinatly jsut jump right into it. Lessons dont do stuff, if you want technique go on youtube and search how to snowboard, how to carve and all that junk.

For example I did that for skiing and on my first day i fell like 10 times on the bunny hill, but by the end of the day i coudl do black diamonds and could ski backwards.(I did play hockey for all my life though) But it is amazing what youtube can teach you, or rather what you can teach yourself..
5280Hawk
Criminal
Criminal

City: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wierd, When you start out, you do really have to emphasize your movements and kick your back foot around out to switch edges, but that's also a product of going slow(because you're learning). Once your comfortable on the board, you can even out the weight on your feet, even lean back. And when youre really cruising, you just lean and the board tracks under you with no noticable effort.
prior40
Addict
Addict

City: Palo Alto

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the lesson because when I first started I picked up some nasty habits with my riding that really prevented me from progressing. I took a lesson about 6 years ago and my riding improved right away.
cross12920

City: Norman

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snowboarded for the first time last year and had been wakeboarding for about three years or so. I took a half day lesson the first day and was doing black runs later that day. I think with a wakeboarding background you can pick it up really fast as long as you have someone to tell you how to do it. I told the instructor at the beginning I wakeboarded and so he kind of related things to wakeboarding. So I would say go with a half day of lessons.
AGirl

City: Hobart

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely do a lesson. The instructors will have tips that they can show you right there and then rather than you trying to remember what you read on a website. Plus you can watch others in your group and try and mimic them or see what they are doing wrong. I tried to learn myself and ended up stuffing it mid-day with a bruised backside. When I took my lesson the next time (a year later) I was rippin' by the end. And personally I don't feel like i am using many of the same technics as when I am wakeboarding.

Many people can definitely teach themselves, but like Prior40 said it is very easy to pick up bad habits. When I took up DH Biking I just went for it and tried to do what my guy buddies said to do. But I reached a point where I couldn't progress for some reason. It wasn't until I took a lesson at Whistler that I learned the proper techniques to racing and riding as a girl.

I don't know of any case where a lesson made things worse.

Oh, and wear some wristgaurds and something to protect your backside. When you learn it hurts like hell, it's not like when you fall on skis, at all.

GOOD LUCK!!
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02..

If you are going with a group of friends who already ride and have some patience, just learn off of them. You'll probably learn quicker because you will be pushed, you'll save money and you don't have to deal with instructors. Most people don't realise, but if you get an entry level lesson, you most likely are being taught by someone who has only just learned to ride themselves. They might look like they know what they are doing but only the basics. I have witnessed on so many occasions people coming to ski resorts (especially from places like Australia and the UK) having never seen snow before, getting 2-3 lessons themselves, and then taking their level one instructors test. Don't be fooled, the word instructor is not as impressive as it sounds. There is a reason everyone else on the hill calls the level one instructors 'babysitters'.

If you are going to the hill alone though, or your friends don't have the patience to teach you (it can be hard, I'll admit, to stick with a first timer on the greens when there is a foot of fresh in the trees), then a lesson might not be a bad idea. You really are paying more for the right to cut lift lines and have some company than anything else though.

Three seasons as a lifty has made me hate Ski Schoolers (the instructors, not the newbs) with a passion, so I'm biased. It should be your choice. Make sure you learn a few Ski School jokes though, whatever you do!

AGirl

City: Hobart

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminally_minded wrote:
My $0.02..

If you are going with a group of friends who already ride and have some patience, just learn off of them. You'll probably learn quicker because you will be pushed, you'll save money and you don't have to deal with instructors. Most people don't realise, but if you get an entry level lesson, you most likely are being taught by someone who has only just learned to ride themselves. They might look like they know what they are doing but only the basics. I have witnessed on so many occasions people coming to ski resorts (especially from places like Australia and the UK) having never seen snow before, getting 2-3 lessons themselves, and then taking their level one instructors test. Don't be fooled, the word instructor is not as impressive as it sounds. There is a reason everyone else on the hill calls the level one instructors 'babysitters'.

If you are going to the hill alone though, or your friends don't have the patience to teach you (it can be hard, I'll admit, to stick with a first timer on the greens when there is a foot of fresh in the trees), then a lesson might not be a bad idea. You really are paying more for the right to cut lift lines and have some company than anything else though.

Three seasons as a lifty has made me hate Ski Schoolers (the instructors, not the newbs) with a passion, so I'm biased. It should be your choice. Make sure you learn a few Ski School jokes though, whatever you do!

Hahaha, you are totally biase. Give me an example of someone who couldn't board or ski and went into ski school.? I know you don't have to be a great rider for level one, but come on...isn't that just a liftie created myth cause they are one another's nemisis. I dislike the overall ski school attitude as well adn would like to tell some of them to get stuffed, (having to deal with them as coworkers can be a pain) but I still think a lesson is a nicer atmostphere to learn in. Even if your friends say 'yeah, no problem, let's go' inevitably you are going to feel stressed and pressured when they are waiting at the bottom of the slope for you each time. And usually you can get a pretty good package for lesson and lift ticket for beginner's.

What's the difference between a ski schooler and god? God, doesn't think he's ski school.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is dated but my $.02...

Take a lesson just to learn how to fall. After that there is nothing more important than days on the mountain. I never took a lesson but I have several friends with little to no time skiing who broke their wrists their first few days trying to learn to snowboard. Pretty common for new boarders to fall hands first and break a wrist. A lot of people also give up those first few days.

Just like any sport, take an athletic stance and you will go where your shoulders and hips point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: