Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakesurfing behind an I/O

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

City: Funroe, LA

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Wakesurfing behind an I/O Reply with quote

Please note before I say anything that will offend anyone, I owned a SeaRay for years and loved wakeboarding behind it; great boat and I have nothing at all against I/O's.
It was recently brought to my attention that Chaparral Boats advertises that their Sunesta 264 Xtreme is "well suited" for wakesurfing. This is an I/O, people. Help me spread the word that it is NOT safe to wakesurf behind an I/O nor an outboard. Sure, all's well until you fall forward. I know, I know, the likelyhood of a body part hitting the prop is slim, but it's there and will happen. As more and more people start wakesurfing behind malequipped boats, more and more permanent injuries will occur. We all know what that will lead to, legislation against wakesurfing.
I, personally, think we should start spreading the word about the dangers of wakesurfing behind malequipped boats before we can no longer wakesurf behind any boat.

surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Stockton

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to bust your chops, but is there any imperical evidence to support that claim? Here is my problem with this situation. Marine Products manufactures Chaparral products. MPX on the NYSE. I had to look at their sales data and it's down considerably like all pleasure boat manufacturers. I swiped these two quotes from the the 4th Quarter 8-K filed with the SEC.

"For the quarter ended December 31, 2008, Marine Products generated net sales of $22,764,000".

"Net sales for the twelve months ended December 31, 2008 were $175,622,000"

175 million and that's down 26 percent or something! I was thinking about this. We live in such a litigous society and the potential for a product liability law suit has to be HUGE. At 175 million in annual sales they are doing something right.

Is it possible that the folks at Chaparral just forgot to check with their attorneys or do any product testing before making that claim? That the boat was suitable for wakesurfing?

I don't know, I'm just having a hard time believing that to be the case. I can imagine that a publicly traded company has some serious due diligence before they make such claims.

I'd really like to see some emperical evidence to support either side, like pointed out, to prevent some senseless accident.
Wakeboarding=Life
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Castle Rock

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something about this last year, but I can't find it. Anyway it just showed that this boat has a huge swim platform like 2 1/2 feet long or something that prevents you from getting anywhere near the prop if you fell.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some footage from the boat. I saw this at the boat show.

Video 2 I think talks about the wakesurfing.

I did not expect to see Robert Soven in the video. I thought he was riding for another boat line.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting videos. Chaparral is really doing a good job in trying to show superiority over inboards. I would agree with the wakesurfing though. Eventhough there may not be emperical evidence supporting injuries with I/O's, common sense looking at placement of the prop should tell you it is far less likely with an inboard.
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Stockton

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use that caveat at the beginning of the video to CYA. That's interesting, it's conflicting with their ad copy online. What I found interesting is that I read an industry insider say that the risk of being "chopped" by the prop while wakesurfing behind an I/O was a fabrication promulgated by the inboard industry - for financial gain. I'd love to see some evidence from Chaparral to support their claim of the boat being suitable for wakesurfing. Somewhere ,someone isn't telling the whole truth.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a great ability to drive backwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those videos contained some very convincing and interesting marketing for the un-informed.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those videos are full of a bunch of BS about inboards.

ie... more speed less power... um... Prop Options and who cares is a tow boat can do 50 or not. Bla.

Ofcourse, the 09 Mastercraft DVD showed some BS about I/Os and the Demo driver was obviously not driving it correctly.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd have to have an amazing run at that boat to reach the prop under that platform. Safety, not so much an issue there, IMO.
cgsrfr

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this boat a couple days ago. Had it out yesterday for the first time. Man what a smooth boat. It really does everything they say it does. It kicks off a really nice wake. I didn't see any danger areas wakesurfing with this boat. The built in swim platform and how low the motor sits you would have to pretty much launch yourself under the swim platform while the boat is moving forward. I tell you what, go check these boats out they are amazing.
mikebu
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgsrfr did you really spend $70,000+ on this boat or are you a Chapparral employee/dealer?
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christobull wrote:
I think you'd have to have an amazing run at that boat to reach the prop under that platform. Safety, not so much an issue there, IMO.

When you are pumping down the line for tricks, you are in fact making a good run right at the boat. Its very easy to fall towards the boat on a failed slide or landing, often slipping bottom first into that area. There's no way in hell I would ever wakesurf behind an I/O knowing the sketchy falls I've taken.
Boost Deuce
Criminal
Criminal

City: Fort Collins

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IO has a 4 foot swim platform, not to mention the prop is at the very front of it. When i'm in the water with the motor off, i can barely reach the prop with my foot.

I saw someone wakesurfing behind a IO with NO, yes i said NO swim platform. you could see the motor from the side of the boat, from the back, from the top, etc.

I've seen people wakesurf behind my IO and they do just fine. it puts out an amazing wake for surfing.

i've also never seen someone fall towards the boat, or sink towards the prop.

the prop is 2 feet under the water. not to mention the swim platform goes back 4 feet....
thats a long way to the prop

letsgo19
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guesse nobody here has heard of a prop guard.Problem solved. At wakesurfing speeds they dnot effect anything.We been enjoying this for years safely.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaparel strike #1
4300 lbs and 300 hp? no thank you. pig.

edit: lol this is getting good and im only half way threw the first vid!
"most wakeboats are equipt with 8.1L v8s" Laugh

1250 lbs ballast and 3 people! gasp! you might die!

Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Owasso

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one of those chapperals out on Grand this weekend. Pulled one hell of a beautiful powerturn right in front of us.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thats sig material right there. Laughing

City: Mesa

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that boat, but that surf wake look really mushy.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgsrfr wrote:
I just bought this boat a couple days ago. Had it out yesterday for the first time. Man what a smooth boat. It really does everything they say it does. It kicks off a really nice wake. I didn't see any danger areas wakesurfing with this boat. The built in swim platform and how low the motor sits you would have to pretty much launch yourself under the swim platform while the boat is moving forward. I tell you what, go check these boats out they are amazing.

Just like on youtube, wakeworld, and now here, people from Chaparral posing as satisfied customers that all just happen to buy one of these. What an amazing coincidence. No one is buying it.

Your videos are full of lies and misinformation, and again, no one is buying it or your overpriced XTREME wally boats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: