Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Different board types?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakenski

City: Grapevine, TX

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Different board types? Reply with quote

Just got a new Malibu VLX and am starting to surf. Have ridden someone else's CWB Tsunami a couple of times and can ride in the pocket ok. As I look to get my own board, I am confused about the differences from the thin "wakeboard" type boards like the Tsunami and the "surfboard" style boards like the Liquid Force Custom. Can anyone outline the differences. Any other help in choosing a board is also appreciated. I am 6'4 ~200lbs and should become fairly competent fairly quickly once I pick a board.
rixmcx59

City: Napa

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Boards Reply with quote

go for the best and get an Inland Surfer Blue Lake or Swallow, they are both incredible boards and they are big enough boards for you. These two boards do everything well, you can get air, spin and both are super fast. I have also tried Hyperlite and Liqued Force; good boards but not even in the same league. If you get a board at 5 feet or less it will just take you longer to get better.

Also if all you want to do is 180's, 360's, 720's you could try a skim style board, they are shorter, wider but not quite s fast but a lot of fun. I have a Black Pearl by Inland Surfer an it's a blast to ride.

If I were you I would buy 1 surf style and 1 skim style. It's like going on two totally different rides.
wakenski

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of Inland (only really know about the big wakeboard makers) and will look into them. I really need to figure out who will let me demo several different boards so I can learn what I like. Sounds like there will be a big difference between a "surf" style and "skim" style and I can only get one at this time.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the major wakeboard manufacturers and look at some of the actual wakesurf board companies.

Inland
Shred Stixx
LakeWakes
Walker Project
XXX
and so on

wakenski

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know who the real wakesurf board makers are. Now I just need to figure out how to get on as many different boards as possible to figure out what I like. I'm hoping I can demo some over Labor Day weekend.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought the cheapest one we could find. (just a time killer while waiting to wakeboard) a 09 CWB ride. we couldnt find any deals. the sport is so new you cant even pick up and old cheapy off ebay it didnt seem. this was the cheapest thing we could find.
never riding anything else it seems pretty good.

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand, it all depends on what you want to do. The big 3 wakeboard manufacturer boards are mass produced. Usually heavy and tanks. If you are content to just stand there and do some minor carving, then sure those boards will work for you.

If you are looking to progress past just casual riding, I would look into a wakesurf specific manufacturer.

Larry Mann

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, please check out asylum boardz - http://www.asylumboardz.com
Our boardz are twin tipped so the board is never going backwards. Ride toeside and heelside in the same set. We have the Surf Skate and the Mojo Grande. Purchase both and have the ease of the Mojo and intensity of the Surf Skate. They both have the same patented bottom shape so they cross-train well.
Larry
asylum Boardz
wakenski

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Not sure yet where I am taking my wakesurfing as I don't foresee getting to a point where my family will support carrying extra ballast. Of course, that may be the exact reason I need to avoid a heavy, mass produced board?
mobster

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best surf style boards are The MoB Rock Boards made in USA with the best shapes period www.mobgroup.tv step your game up
texaswakerep
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Different board types? Reply with quote

wakenski wrote:
Just got a new Malibu VLX and am starting to surf. Have ridden someone else's CWB Tsunami a couple of times and can ride in the pocket ok. As I look to get my own board, I am confused about the differences from the thin "wakeboard" type boards like the Tsunami and the "surfboard" style boards like the Liquid Force Custom. Can anyone outline the differences. Any other help in choosing a board is also appreciated. I am 6'4 ~200lbs and should become fairly competent fairly quickly once I pick a board.

Your VLX will make a nasty wakesurf wake if you plumb additional ballast in the trunks. Cheap & easy. PM me for details.

As for boards....my .02

Surf style: Walker Project, Austin Surf Company, Inland Surfer

Skim style: Phase 5

STAY AWAY FROM WAKE MANUFACTURER BOARDS. I have ridden & owned CWB, Hyperlite, & LF. Closest thing to a real wakesurfer are the epoxy boards the wake companies are coming out with.....but they aren't quite there yet.

mobster

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoB boards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: