Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

SALTWATER WAKEBOARD BOAT?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bccardy83

City: SAVANNAH

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: SALTWATER WAKEBOARD BOAT? Reply with quote

I CURRENTLY HAVE A SEA HUNT ESCAPE 18' WITH A 115 OUTBOARD. HAS A DECENT WAKE, BUT DEFINITELY WANT SOMETHING BIGGER. I'M STILL A BEGINNER SO WONDERING IF I SHOULD GIVE IT A YEAR OR SO THEN MOVE UP. I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE WISE TO GET A INBOARD AROUND THE COAST. SO WHATS A GOOD I/O BOAT?
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually a pretty good shape to the wake. You should try weiging that thing down and seeing if you can get it to POP.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of options out there with closed cooling systems that won't be an issue with saltwater. Also, people run open cooling systems and just flush them all the time. I'm betting you could go either way, but I'd think leaning towards closed cooling is your best bet.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey neighbor, where are you riding in Savannah?

There's more to consider here in the Atlantic Intracoastal than just saltwater. There's also the fact that the tides vary by several feet each day. There's still always a very real possibility of hitting bottom from time to time. With a sterndrive (IO) boat, at least you have the option of trimming up the motor. What happens when a Vdrive/Ddrive boat grids its prop into an oyster bed? Puppy Eyes

We stopped at the sandbar today. This area would have been completely submerged about 3 hours after this pic was taken.

I've drooled over inboard wakeboats almost ever since I first got my little runabout. But I've realized that they just aren't very practical in this area. Not saying I still wouldn't want one. But I'd probably just upgrade to a bigger and more powerful IO. And yeah, like Okie Boarder said, mine gets flushed, washed, dried, and garaged after EVERY use. No exceptions.

You also didn't mention a budget. I mean hell, why don't you just pick out a new Saltwater Series X-Star and send me a PM with directions to the boat ramp you're using? Mr. Green

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
bccardy83

City: SAVANNAH

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle f wrote:
Thats actually a pretty good shape to the wake. You should try weiging that thing down and seeing if you can get it to POP.

Yeah i could weigh it down a lil bit more.. I already have about 600 pounds of sand bags that are strategically placed through out. I'll proably have to get a bigger pitch to make up for the weight.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bccardy83 wrote:
kyle f wrote:

Yeah i could weigh it down a lil bit more.. I already have about 600 pounds of sand bags that are strategically placed through out. I'll proably have to get a bigger pitch to make up for the weight.

Yup a re-prop and a couple of water filled fat sacs should help you out a lot.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
thowild

City: savannah

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: savannah x35 saltwater series Reply with quote

just stumbled across this post.

bccardy83 and HHI Dave - still in the Savannah area?

I've had my mastercraft x35 about 4 months now here, and it is the bomb. You have to know your waters to tolerate a 7-10 foot tide with an inboard. I think I do, but, I've even installed a Garmin in my new X35 which the dealer told me was the first.

I do mostly hydrofoiling - getting old - but would be happy to pull some wakeboarders in the area. No need to add sandbags on this boat - ballists may not even be needed for beginners.

Drop me a post if in the area... or email ... thowild@live.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Share Your Boat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: