Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Dell still insisting on putting Vista on new systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Dell still insisting on putting Vista on new systems Reply with quote

I've found the laptop I want, and it is a Dell - to replace the 710m that Chavez recommended to me so long ago. It has been a fantastic machine.

But Dell is still insisting on putting Vista on new systems, despite the fact that Windows 7 is on the horizon. They're not budging. I tried. I called.

If you folks were in a position where you were literally one-click-away ready to buy a laptop but it came force-loaded with Vista, would you still do it or would you wait for Windows 7.

They offer XP for a premium on some systems, but it is out of the question for the machine I want.

Agh. Any thoughts?
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for it, any modern hardware is going to be able to run Vista decently well. I would definitely be upgrading to windows7 though when it starts shipping. Then again, you'd be out another $150 to buy 7...

Has Dell mentioned when they're going to start shipping windows7 PC's? Usually the manufacturers have a few week grace period where they ship you the new OS if it comes out a few weeks after you've purchased your system... Or at least that's what Apple did with the 10.5 release. It's definitely a tough one, I guess the only real question is it worth $150 to has your new computer right now or not.

Windows 7 is such a different animal than Vista, that I would probably be tempted to wait it out. Or more likely, i would buy the machine and then just purchase Windows 7 when it finally comes out...

I know that doesn't help your conundrum at all, but you might check with the grace period bit...

Also, CONGRATS on the new job! I'm stoked for you!

Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, They say their Windows 7 systems ship in October. This White Inspiron 14 with a super HD display is calling my name so loud. Backlit keyboard, 4 gigs of ram, Intel core 2 duo@ 2.2ghz, 500gig drive, 6hr battery, dvd writer... just shy of 1k. INSANE how much you can pack into a small laptop now. It's awesome. And I really need something like that.

Just so you know the new job isn't a day job replacement, but I'll admit I am very excited about it. I just have 2 paying jobs now. Yipee. I need a new roof, need a new laptop, need a new fence, the list goes on - the list includes getting into a 230 sooner than later though I am tempted to wait based on something I just heard on the Correct Craft front... there's always something better coming down the line. Agh.

Thanks though! I appreciate it and I plan to help the wakeboarder.com, boardstop, various other Web properties Ed Empire as much as I can with the new wake editorial position at FUEL.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain Dell units qualify for a free upgrade to Win 7 as soon as it comes out...looks like the Inspiron is on the list...

https://win7.dell.com/

https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx

taitrt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
Certain Dell units qualify for a free upgrade to Win 7 as soon as it comes out...looks like the Inspiron is on the list...

https://win7.dell.com/

https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx

Indeed, whoever you talked to at dell was a total moron if they didn't mention this to you.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the person I spoke to was very good actually, and sounded pretty senior. I've had good luck with Dell salespeople. On many laptops XP is available at a $120 premium. But you still get the Vista disks. With the machine I want XP is not possible. The guy triple checked and called me with that news today.

I guess I could get it, wipe it, and install XP but I just wonder about how many driver battles I would be fighting. My guess is I'd have a gimped system.

Dumb question as a Vista fear mongerer - are most programs that were developed for XP natively Vista compatible out of the gate? Are the 2 architectures THAT different? Important things to me are the things I've actually purchased. Photoshop CS3 - actually the entire CS3 master suite, Sony Vegas 6 HD, Cucusoft Ipod/DVD converter, SecureCRT and on and on (check the screenshot)

Below is my Start menu. I keep my commonly accessed stuff in that top area instead of the quick launch corner because I only have 800px of resolution height on this small laptop. I found a lot of stuff that would easily work on Vista because I'd need to download the stuff again anyway (IM clients, FTP clients). Sony Vegas isn't installed on this machine but I have it on my XP work machine and it runs great. I don't know if it would work with Vegas - I'll have to check.

The thing I spec'd out with Dell could potentially just run everything better. but there are too many programs to mention that I'd be bummin if I couldn't use. Hell even HomeSite. That old-ass program is still my favorite non-UTF-8 Web programming editor and I use it for all of my sites and I would be sooo surprised if that worked on XP. After looking at my Start menu of installed programs and what I depend on, I'm simply not convinced I am ready. DAMN. I guess that also means I wouldn't be ready for Windows 7 either.

Kind of makes me realize how good XP is after all. I have very few complaints. Really. Biggest complaint: the search could be improved upon, and not dumb it down with the little pointless dog thing, but the 5 machines I run in this house that are on XP are as stable as I could want and do what I need.
taitrt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista is fine, it has compatability modes for all previous versions of windows including XP SP2. UAC is a total pain in the ass, but it can be disabled in seconds or tweaked if you are willing to put in a little time.

Windows 7 if even better than vista, buy the laptop, get the win7 free upgrade when it comes out and be done with it.
taitrt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this make you feel any better?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista can be a bit slow at times but I like it. Do they include the free upgrade to 7 when it comes out?

I'd buy it with vista. The start menu and searching are greatly improved on it and it is more appealing to the eye.

JoeyJojo
Addict
Addict

City: Central Mississippi

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some tweaks to get vista running good. If you are careful of where ya go and what you install, it is pretty damn reliable. I tried actually going back to XP and didn't much care for it =) And as you can see my system goes for days and weeks at a time with no reset.
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Chicago/Milwaukee

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the Dell website and was looking at the Inspiron 14. When I chose to customize it they listed that you can get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/us/windows-7-consumer?c=us&l=en&s=gen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: