Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Directv HD DVR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intotheflats
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Directv HD DVR Reply with quote

so I want to get DVR from directv and I already have HD. the DVR is only $6/month with I can live with but to get HD and DVR I have to buy a $200 receiver instead of lease one like normal. Anyone know why this is or if there is a way around it? I just don't want to drop $200 on a receiver thats going to be out of date in a year anyway.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
edrex
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nor*Cal

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have regular DVR and want to upgrade to HD with DVR. I already paid $100 for the reciever that I have, not sure I want to drop another $200 just to upgrade. Confused

jonyb
Addict
Addict

City: Paducah

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded a year ago from DVR to HD DVR. You get a lot more channels, and the extra monthly subscription is well worth it. The only problem is that the receiver is vveeerrrrrryyyyyyy sllllloooooooooooow Sad

As for the $200, that's what they start out at. I'm not a good haggler, but I did get them down to $99 for mine. I've heard of people getting theirs for free, but I just don't haggle that well.

Another thing to remember, or maybe you guys don't know, but if you have lightning damage, or a receiver gets messed up somehow, they'll send you a new one, and you'll get it within 2 days. I've had to exercise that right at least 3 times this year already.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine for 99 also. and i dont have a problem with the slow receiver. i would call them on that one.
Jdubb16

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are currently a DTV subsrciber, cal and speak to customer retention. Let them know that both Verizon FIOS and Dish have called and made you offers that included a free HD DVR and 6 months of HD for free if you switch. Tell them you are thinking about it.

They should offer you the HD DVR for free if you re-up for a year. tell them yes, but only if your get HD for free for at least 6 months.

It works everytime, if it does, say good bye. Call back and get a different person in customer retention.

J-dubb
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intotheflats, are you committed to DTV for any extended period of time right now? If not, just call them up and tell them that Dish Network offered you a free HD DVR and a year of free HD programming. Tell them that you're thinking of taking that deal unless they want to match it.

I did this in 2007 and they gave me an HD DVR for $99 with free HD for a year which, for the money it costs each month for HD, came out to more than the $100 for the DVR. My 2 year commitment is up in October, so I'm probably going to do something similar again.

intotheflats

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a helluva deal on NFL sunday ticket from DTV. They started billing me for the "promotional" rate of $269 so I called and said I wanted it taken off my bill as I would pay for it in a lump sum later. She told me that if I kept it on my bill she could offer me it for $209 and give me the superfan for free which is a $99 value and I'll get every game in HD.

My contract is up or at least it was up in May so I should be able to cancel anytime. Maybe I will try to jew them for the free HD DVR and see if that will work.

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
Jdubb16

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them you are going to cancel teh Ticket because you can't watch all teh games and don't have a HD DVR. Then ask if the can accommidate teh HD DVR, that you will keep the Ticket.

NFL ticket is DTV single most profitable item and it is by far the most leverage you have. They need to keep their Ticket numbers up so the NFL does shop it out to FIOS and DIsh wonce DTV's contract is up.

J-dubb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: